Everyone should watch and share this :)

Michelle Melsom

For everyone who has watched Kony 2012 - you should also read and take note of this.

Things aren't always black and white, and never forget that companies - even non-profit organizations - are first and foremost out to make money. This individual points out issues with the timing of this video's release, the blatant disregard of government (both domestic and foreign) in the conflict, and the very real risk of instigating further conflict in Uganda just as things have finally settled down.

I have no doubt that this is a bad, bad man, but he also lives in a bad, bad world where they are fighting brutal violence with even more brutal violence. The innocent suffer from both their persecutors and their saviors, so "poking the lion" is not a simple one-step solution to peace.

http://pomee.tumblr.com/post/18899601760/kony-2012-causing-more-harm-than-good

For everyone who has watched Kony 2012 - you should also read and take note of this.

Things aren't always black and white, and never forget that companies - even non-profit organizations - are first and foremost out to make money. This individual points out issues with the timing of this video's release, the blatant disregard of government (both domestic and foreign) in the conflict, and the very real risk of instigating further conflict in Uganda just as things have finally settled down.

I have no doubt that this is a bad, bad man, but he also lives in a bad, bad world where they are fighting brutal violence with even more brutal violence. The innocent suffer from both their persecutors and their saviors, so "poking the lion" is not a simple one-step solution to peace.

http://pomee.tumblr.com/post/18899601760/kony-2012-causing-more-harm-than-good

I totally agree, there is much more to this than meets the eye. There are many deeper issues underlying which we, as the public, are not aware of. The internet is becoming more and more a propoganda tool for those with hidden agendas and its too easy to become caught in the hype.

Ofc you would do that -.-

LOL! Sorry, I can't help it! As a pseudo-sociologist (I have a degree with a focus in anthropology but haven't used it in the work force) I just can't abide one-sided propaganda! The good of the video is that it sheds light on a problem that has been going on for decades (even longer in the history of war, but active conscription and the abduction of children in Africa predominantly dates back to the 1970s) and interest in stopping it tends to rise and fall with the tides.

But for people to take action, they need to know the whole story, or at least a well-rounded view, and that is not what is presented in Kony 2012. If they don't it's just sensationalism and an ill-informed witch hunt.

After watching the video, I shared it on my FB.

Now, personally, I won't donate cash to IC (Invisible Children); it's rare I donate cash to any charity. That said, I DO think that the idea behind it - getting as many people across the entire planet as possible demanding the capture of this guy - is a good one. As I said when I shared the video. Just imagine if this did work, if all the voices of every person who saw this video, who supports it (donating or not), stood up and said "Enough!" so that the people who can do something, do. Just how would that change the world? It would mean that people, everyday people anywhere across the world, from kids to old people, can make a difference. And maybe the world might, just might, have a hope of being a decent place.

That's what I see in this video.

As for the issues of the money donated and everything else... yes, research everything, making sure you look at both sides, not just the opinions of people who aren't IC, but read the release from the IC people themselves.

As for the link... it's just as much a propaganda issue from the "other side" as the video is. How do we know it's as this person says it is? How do we know the quotes used are true? How do we know anything they've said is truth?

I see it this way: Kony is listed in the ICC as number one needed to be captured. If this gets him captured, right on, score for the good guys. The blogger in the link even admits that Uganda has had conflict upon conflict and likely Kony's capture won't stop it, but it will at least take one more sick, twisted and despicable "thing" out of the conflict, and that, actually, would be worth it, wouldn't it? And if the world stood up and demanded this, and it happened, the person who would inevitably replace him would have to be very, very careful about what he did, or stop all together and go about his search for power in another way.

Or, we could all sit back, say and do nothing, let it keep happening like it has for the last twenty years, and while we're at it, forget everything else too and just stick with our own little personal spaces.

Ofc you would say something like that rofl

ANYWAYS I watched this video and what this guy is saying makes sense

[...]

He does make sense, and I was actually thinking along the same lines.

EDIT: Laine

I'm not disagreeing with you, I think 'KONY' has to get caught...but if you think about it, once the U.S does catch them (cause everyone knows the U.S would be the first one to pounce on this cause they have an election coming up, and they have the world's most powerful military), they'll stay in the country for years to take oil and diamonds...which would in turn better the U.S's falling economy, but it would hurt Uganda's economy.

The U.S army might do more harm than good, killing innocents like they did in Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan...or they might help the country and help it become more civilized (which, personally, I don't think the U.S would bother because that would cost money and they're rather short on that. :P )

That's just my opinion.

LOL! Sorry, I can't help it! As a pseudo-sociologist (I have a degree with a focus in anthropology but haven't used it in the work force) I just can't abide one-sided propaganda! The good of the video is that it sheds light on a problem that has been going on for decades (even longer in the history of war, but active conscription and the abduction of children in Africa predominantly dates back to the 1970s) and interest in stopping it tends to rise and fall with the tides.

But for people to take action, they need to know the whole story, or at least a well-rounded view, and that is not what is presented in Kony 2012. If they don't it's just sensationalism and an ill-informed witch hunt.

It made me laugh lol and your right theres always more :P

After watching the video, I shared it on my FB.

Now, personally, I won't donate cash to IC (Invisible Children); it's rare I donate cash to any charity. That said, I DO think that the idea behind it - getting as many people across the entire planet as possible demanding the capture of this guy - is a good one. As I said when I shared the video. Just imagine if this did work, if all the voices of every person who saw this video, who supports it (donating or not), stood up and said "Enough!" so that the people who can do something, do. Just how would that change the world? It would mean that people, everyday people anywhere across the world, from kids to old people, can make a difference. And maybe the world might, just might, have a hope of being a decent place.

That's what I see in this video.

As for the issues of the money donated and everything else... yes, research everything, making sure you look at both sides, not just the opinions of people who aren't IC, but read the release from the IC people themselves.

As for the link... it's just as much a propaganda issue from the "other side" as the video is. How do we know it's as this person says it is? How do we know the quotes used are true? How do we know anything they've said is truth?

I see it this way: Kony is listed in the ICC as number one needed to be captured. If this gets him captured, right on, score for the good guys. The blogger in the link even admits that Uganda has had conflict upon conflict and likely Kony's capture won't stop it, but it will at least take one more sick, twisted and despicable "thing" out of the conflict, and that, actually, would be worth it, wouldn't it? And if the world stood up and demanded this, and it happened, the person who would inevitably replace him would have to be very, very careful about what he did, or stop all together and go about his search for power in another way.

Or, we could all sit back, say and do nothing, let it keep happening like it has for the last twenty years, and while we're at it, forget everything else too and just stick with our own little personal spaces.

I also do not donate to charitys. It sounds terrible but I just dont believe the money gets to where it needs to be it gets caught up in everything inbetween. If its somone I know and I can put it where it needs to go I donate but nothings always what it seems. I actually read something one about a "homless" person who sat on the street everyday and collected change from people and it turns out he was actually a millionare or something crazy :/

Just watched your other video link - all very good points from that guy! Amber Ha lightly touched on it, but this is much greater detail and better points, especially about the diamonds and coffee...

Another issue - Kony is not an unknown - he just hasn't been sensationalized in this way to the North American and European public before. Bin Laden, Hussein, Gadafi: all of these people were on the international radar long before the media and general public caught wind of them. There are even mentions of them as headlining terrorists in movies a full decade before any of us took note. We don't care about them until we are told to care about them. Kony is just one of at least hundreds of sickos in Africa alone. And even if they do find him and execute him, do they seriously think that he doesn't have equally cruel and dedicated sub-commanders who would just step in and take his place? I'm not staying he shouldn't be stopped - they all should - but he is not the One Great Solution.

Excerpt from BBC news - 2009:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7926173.stm

"Efforts by the Ugandan army in early 2009 ('Operation Lightning Thunder') to inflict a final military defeat on the LRA were not fully successful. Rather, the US-supported operation resulted in brutal revenge attacks by the LRA, with over 1,000 people killed in Congo and Sudan. The military action in the DRC did not result in the capture or killing of Kony, who remained elusive."

Another article detailing a bit more history on Uganda and its current state. The video leads us to believe that the awful fugitive camps that Jacob was in are still active. Apparently, the vast majority of people have returned to their homes and livelihoods and certainly don't look back on the time they were forced to live there with any sense of gratitude...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-deibert/joseph-kony-2012-children_b_1327417.html

As far as a promotional video for getting donations to Invisible Children, however, I'd say this video was highly successful in achieving its purpose.

It made me laugh lol and your right theres always more :P

I also do not donate to charitys. It sounds terrible but I just dont believe the money gets to where it needs to be it gets caught up in everything inbetween. If its somone I know and I can put it where it needs to go I donate but nothings always what it seems. I actually read something one about a "homless" person who sat on the street everyday and collected change from people and it turns out he was actually a millionare or something crazy :/

Me neither. Studies are proving that foreign aid - in many cases, not all - hurts rather than helps the people involved. It's like fixing a cut jugular with a band-aid.

Laine - my issue is that ill-informed people crying for a certain result from government until government caves and does it can have serious repercussions. I was horrified to read in that BBC report that over 1,000 people will killed in senseless revenge attacks the first time the US and Congo intervened and actively tried to stop the LRA. Such a venture has to be treated with great delicacy, not chasing after them, guns blazing, until they get one certain head on a plate.

Me neither. Studies are proving that foreign aid - in many cases, not all - hurts rather than helps the people involved. It's like fixing a cut jugular with a band-aid.

Laine - my issue is that ill-informed people crying for a certain result from government until government caves and does it can have serious repercussions. I was horrified to read in that BBC report that over 1,000 people will killed in senseless revenge attacks the first time the US and Congo intervened and actively tried to stop the LRA. Such a venture has to be treated with great delicacy, not chasing after them, guns blazing, until they get one certain head on a plate.

I donate to some charities and non-profit organizations (International Wolf Center, Princess Margaret, Canadian Wildlife Federation, my local humane society), but I don't really like to donate money unless I know where it's going and if it'll get there.

Like all of those World Vision type charities where you donate money to help a child in Africa - I'm not even sure if it helps them all that much because they are still living in a hostile environment and their food/water/stuff that they 'might' have gotten from their sponsor would probably be stolen by others.