Had a good day today

Val (Zebedee)

As you all know, we rehomed Diesel on Sunday and we couldn't have asked for a better sibe to join our pack. He is a gentle giant, very placid, laid back, let's Myshka get away with murder. Myshka too has been great welcoming another sibe into her domain, something I worried about before but up to now, had no need to. She steps back & lets him eat or drink first, even though she has her own bowls!

When we collected Diesel, the owners (members Akita) told us what they knew about him, but weren't 100% sure of the finer details. I asked Danielle for the previous owners' details as we found out Diesel is chipped & obviously, whoever chipped him had to change the address details or, if Diesel ever got out, he'd end up back in Holyhead!! :eek:

She gave us a name & contact telephone number, Steve phoned it. A man answered & it turns out, quite sadly, that his Mum, after him having the sibe for over 4 yrs, "gave" it away as she felt her son did not have time for him. He came home from work one day & Diesel was gone. That was about 3 months ago. Diesel went to live in Bangor with Danielle (Akita) & her family but the family akita picked on him & they felt he could not stay there either, so he ended up with us.

This lad (Richard) was over the moon we had traced him & asked loads of questions - the upshot of the phonecall - we are arranging to go & see Richard & take Diesel next week so he can see his "boy" & he can fill in the blanks in Diesel's past for us. He has the chip documents, vet records, everything & he is going to dig them out for us so we have a full record of him! :D

We have sent him pictures of Diesel & given him this forum web address so he can follow Diesel's progress through here too, I hope he joins up!

I can't tell you how good it was to be able to tell this lad his sibe is in good hands & he can see his "boy" again!

Then, tonight, we were on our way home with the dogs & spotted another sibe - of course, we stopped to chat & gave him a HO business card, he said his wife was husky-mad (we know that feeling!) & would probably be in her element on here! Not only that, their dog, Mya, was the pup of the couple's daughter's dogs, the daughter has both mum & dad so fingers crossed the word gets passed down & the whole family sign up!!

All in all, I feel like I've had a very good day today!! :cool:

I just had to share it with you all!!! :D

One thing Richard did tell us was, Diesel's first owner was in the forces & she paid around 1500 to bring him over to England from America! Apparently Diesel is a full-bred American husky - no wonder he is the size of a bear!! But she got posted back unexpectedly & Diesel was sold to Richard (for a pretty penny :eek: )

Can anyone tell me the difference, if there is one, between american bred & UK bred, please??

oh, thats very interesting. I'm sure Mick would be able to tell us, but I do vaguely recall seeing somewhere that American huskies tend to be a bit bigger, the ones being bred in the UK now (by most breeders) are being bred for sprinting, rather than longer distance.

Weird though, cos my Diesel is very big as well, obviously something in the name. We nearly changed his name to Unleaded when we got him neutered. LOL

Lovin' the good news thread.

My initial thoughts having looked at some of your pictures are that the Huskies in Europe are thinner and leaner, especially in the face (muzzle). I can't think of the member's name but there is a Husky here with a very long neck. That is so different for me to see! But these dogs are so individual aren't they!? Ariel and Aurora are already 37 lbs and they are only 7.5 months old. They are really stocky - we call them our 'husky girls'...ha ha pun intended.

Weird though, cos my Diesel is very big as well, obviously something in the name. We nearly changed his name to Unleaded when we got him neutered. LOL

Aw, bless him! This Diesel is neutered too, but never thought of it that way - we nearly changed Myshka's name to Petrol, though!!

I seem to recall American-bred huskies were 'stockier' than UK-bred, but wasn't too sure, as you say, Karen, maybe Mick or someone could shed some light on it. All I know is, we thought Myshka looked pretty average, size-wise, she looks like a pup compared to him! He's like a lion, his legs & paws are huge! Make 2 of Myshka any day!

Thanks for your input, guys, I appreciate it, xx :D

• 2 years later...

I know this is a REALLY old thread - but I've been doing more digging! :P I just can't leave well alone!!

Diesel went to the vets for his booster last night and I got talking about his age - with being a rescue, we only have a vague idea & wondered if she could help at all (new vets just opened in the village). I told her the history that we had found out (see 1st post above) and quizzed her about when D could possibly have been chipped if he was American born. She seemed to think he would have needed to have been chipped to come over .... which got me thinking! Dangerous, I know ........

I called the chip company today asking if they could tell me any more from the chip number & records they held .... the plot suddenly thickened!! They said the chip was definitely put in in the UK! American chip ID's usually have 9 numbers, seldom 15 & this had 15 digits and also he could tell from the series of numbers at the start AND the make of chip that it was a UK one. I queried if he would have to have been chipped to come from USA & he said not if he had a passport .... so could an English reader read a US chip? answer = probably ...... then the bombshell ................... he was chipped in West Yorkshire!!! :jawdrop: The records they hold show he is now registered to our postcode but the previous address was in West Yorkshire .... he hadn't had his chip details changed at any time he lived in Wales :( Now, if he was chipped at 3 months there, it is unlikely he is a US husky.

Now we have been led to believe he came from USA to Aberystwyth, then to Holyhead, to Bangor then to us - nowhere near Yorkshire ...... so we're stumped! We did get the vets name who chipped him & Steve rang them - they still have his records!! He was born within a few days of 30th June 2003, they had nothing more specific and they still hold the details of the family that had him chipped at 3 months in Sept 03. So we have asked them to pass our details on to the family with a brief explanation of why & we'll see what comes of this!! Hopefully they will get in touch & may even have puppy pics of him!!

Thank you! I just hope the family still live at the address the vet has & don't mind us asking questions, we don't mean anything by it, we're just curious! I would love to find out his past for sure

I'm not discounting the fact he may still have come from the good old US of A, it might be the woman in the forces brought him over & was based in Yorkshire, then moved to Aberystwyth way & the puzzle will be complete. Gigi ( sutsibe ) I am still really intrigued by the links & info you gave me when I started out on D's journey & it seems a possibility he is from your side of the pond, but I'm gonna hang fire until we hopefully hear from the person listed at the vets

Oh Val, I hope you find out more on Big D. The suspense is very intriguing.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk.