Commands and tricks

Eyja

Hey! :)

I´m just curious what commands and tricks your Sibes do?

Mine knows the most common ones, sit, stand, stay, wait, heel, high five, hello, lie down(all the way- with the head on the floor), up, down, dig, Go, forward, stop, left, right (mushing), be nice, kisses.. Dont remember more at the moment..

But do you have any "cool" tricks you can tell me about? :)

I was thinking about teaching her to give hugs but she sheds so much fur so I dont think it´s a really good idea haha

Suka knows:

Sit

Down (lie down)

Off (get off something)

Stay

Up (get on something or stand up)

Back (go backyards)

Ninja (crawl)

Speak

Go (run!)

Shake a paw

Shake the other paw (beg)

high-five

Come (not very reliable - only with treats)

Outside/pee/poo (he knows what those words mean and he only responds to what word. Like, if he only has to go poo, then he'll only respond to 'poo')

Heel (still working on it, though...)

Wait (stay for a short period of time)

Move or GTFO (get out of my way!)

'Go away' (leaves the room)

Leave it (leave something alone. ie: don't touch that, don't go after that dog, etc)

Storm knows

Sit

Stay

Leave

Left

High five

This way (means go right)

RIGHT (means you're in trouble)

Kisses

Catch

Let me see (surrender what you have to me)

Have a look (look out the window)

Stairs

Jump

Touch

Speak

Say hello

STOP (means freeze, whatever you're doing)

Stand (stands straaight up on 2 legs)

Up

Down

Lay

Roll over (with help lol)

Where's Shadow (she'll touch Shadow)

Hurry up (her toilet command)

Huphup (means lots of things)

In

Out

Come

Away

Budge (means I need to be there)

On your bed/made you bed

Paw and other one

Pin (she'll pounce on your chest like a lion)

Bow

Which one (she picks the treat she wants by touching it)

Ready for a walk (during a drink break on a run she'll let me know when she's ready to go again with her paw)

Steady (means heel)

2 minutes (she knows i'm taking Shadow out if i say this)

This side (walk the other side of me)

And Shadow knows

Sit

Stay

Down

Leave

Touch

Come

STOP

in

Out

2 minutes/hurry up (toilet command)

Huphup

My two know most of the basics - not nearly as impressive as these lists - but the most important is

Kisses

Where's Ozzy - I ask this of Micah, and she will either look in the direction he is, or she will take me to him - very handy :rolleyes: because he usually ignores me when I call him, or take his time about responding.

the ones that impress people most:

heel.... then release (when I say release the dogs will take off running). stop! come. heel

and

Nikki walks up to me on the couch and shakes. "what do you want boy? show me!" if he goes to the kitchen, he wants a treat. if he goes to the door he wants to go outside. if he lays down, he wants to be petted ;)

I think right now my best command for my two is wait, which is odd. But they both do it reliably (more than 95% of the time at least) for which I'm proud of. If they break their kennel, say, before I've released them they know what "get back inside" means and they also now "Get that paw in" :D

For those who have the long lists, how long has it taken? Troy is a pita to train.

He has awesome recall. Yesterday at my parents, he had an ecollar on and no leash, and him and my gsd bolted for their neighbors dog, running hard. Everyone was impressed by both of my dogs slamming on the brakes in a dead sprint to come collect a treat from me.

That's about it though. Sit means speak. Lay down means give paw as he's laying down. He can give paw when I put my hand out. I also discovered that he can give high five. I think when I put my hand out and say something he knows to paw at it for a treat. Stay also means lay down. He can stay though. Seriously, he has great enthusiasm to learn, but it's about 50 percent he gets it right. I've probably put too much on him. He does know in your crate, and knows that fake punches to his head means it's time to do battle. Lol.

However, my gsd who I've had for less than half the time we've had the sibe ( and had ZERO training) knows

Sit

Paw

Come

Lay down

Retrieve her ball and drop it in my hand

Retrieve a newspaper and drop it in my hand.... Most times. Working on this

30-45 second stay in a sit or lay.

Stand

Take it... Take an object from my hand.

She also goes in her crate when we put the sibe in.

We got her in sept 2011 and only in the last couple months have I been working hard with her

For those who have the long lists, how long has it taken? Troy is a pita to train.

He has awesome recall. Yesterday at my parents, he had an ecollar on and no leash, and him and my gsd bolted for their neighbors dog, running hard. Everyone was impressed by both of my dogs slamming on the brakes in a dead sprint to come collect a treat from me.

That's about it though. Sit means speak. Lay down means give paw as he's laying down. He can give paw when I put my hand out. I also discovered that he can give high five. I think when I put my hand out and say something he knows to paw at it for a treat. Stay also means lay down. He can stay though. Seriously, he has great enthusiasm to learn, but it's about 50 percent he gets it right. I've probably put too much on him. He does know in your crate, and knows that fake punches to his head means it's time to do battle. Lol.

However, my gsd who I've had for less than half the time we've had the sibe ( and had ZERO training) knows

Sit

Paw

Come

Lay down

Retrieve her ball and drop it in my hand

Retrieve a newspaper and drop it in my hand.... Most times. Working on this

30-45 second stay in a sit or lay.

Stand

Take it... Take an object from my hand.

She also goes in her crate when we put the sibe in.

We got her in sept 2011 and only in the last couple months have I been working hard with her

It sounds like your training and your cues may be inconsistent. How did you train your husky to do those tricks he only gets right 50% of the time?

It didn't take long for me to teach Suka those, although some of them he already knew. What I do, is I teach him the action first (through hand actions or body language. For example, if I want him to lie down I can either say "down" or I can point to the ground with my hand.) and then once he has that down pat, I associate the word with the action.

Treating/rewarding them at the proper time is key, too.

It sounds like your training and your cues may be inconsistent. How did you train your husky to do those tricks he only gets right 50% of the time?

It didn't take long for me to teach Suka those, although some of them he already knew. What I do, is I teach him the action first (through hand actions or body language. For example, if I want him to lie down I can either say "down" or I can point to the ground with my hand.) and then once he has that down pat, I associate the word with the action.

Treating/rewarding them at the proper time is key, too.

I agree. Here's the thing, my gsd does them all nearly 100%. I know they're different dogs though. I'll also admit to not working with him as much as my gsd, for two reasons:

1. My gsd needs it more. She had some issues when we got her and I think the training has really helped her. It's a long story, so I won't go into it here.

2. Between my sibe picking things up slower and me reading that huskies are hard to train, I didn't really believe he would pick it up ever.

But reading those long lists gives me inspiration. I'll work more with him. Seems like a case of dumb trainer, not dumb dog. Lol.

I agree. Here's the thing, my gsd does them all nearly 100%. I know they're different dogs though. I'll also admit to not working with him as much as my gsd, for two reasons:

1. My gsd needs it more. She had some issues when we got her and I think the training has really helped her. It's a long story, so I won't go into it here.

2. Between my sibe picking things up slower and me reading that huskies are hard to train, I didn't really believe he would pick it up ever.

But reading those long lists gives me inspiration. I'll work more with him. Seems like a case of dumb trainer, not dumb dog. Lol.

Sibes are actually pretty intelligent, although they're stubborn so they CAN be mistaken for being idiots. :P

For example, I know that Suka hows how to crawl. But, as you'll see in this video, he clearly just wants to do the easier tricks to get the treats. That's just him being a stubborn jerk! LOL

DuasEu9tjpg