Eyes (Stupid question...)

Lavs

If my sibe's eyes are always red in pictures, and sometimes her pupils look reddish in a certain light, does it mean she will have eye problems later on? How can I tell if she will have eye problems?

Her vet looked at her and said she looked good but I still wonder...

To short circuit this again, do a search on HO for lucidum. There have been several conversations already about this and there are several good link to other sites in these threads.

However, if you insist, blame it on the tapetum lucidum.

And not a stupid question, otherwise we wouldn't have discussed it so much already. Now if that's not what you're asking about, try again .... :)

Tech - is it true that if you search while within a thread it searches only that thread? You must return to Forum Home to search the entire forum?

ok well. how about this. if someone can answer this for me ill be greatful. Once sonoma fell asleep on the floor and when she got up one of her pupils was smaller than the other. Immediately i freaked, but both eyes were following my finger and she would respond to commands. i thought seizure so i tested various things. at that time she was 9 weeks old and i watched her like a hawk so i knew she did not eat anything she shouldnt have and did not have any head trauma bc i was with her all the time. it really freaked me out though and i often still check but it hasnt happened since. a girl i know said that in humans that can mean theres a tumour in the head or on the eye but thats humans and obv dogs are much different. what do you make of that?

If my sibe's eyes are always red in pictures, and sometimes her pupils look reddish in a certain light, does it mean she will have eye problems later on? How can I tell if she will have eye problems?

Her vet looked at her and said she looked good but I still wonder...

If you use a flash in a dark environment, you often get a red eye effect. This is because the light of the flash is reflecting from the retina, which is covered with tiny blood vessels.

The more open the pupils are, the more red eye effect you get in your photos. Red eye is more pronounced in people with light eye color. It is also more pronounced in people with blond or light-red hair and in children.

rep_effect02.jpgrep_effect01.jpg

When you take photos of animals, the red eye effect can be quite different. Animals have a reflective layer in the back of their eyes behind the retina called the tapetum. This layer enhances their night vision. The colour of the tapetum gives you blue, green, yellow, or white eye effect. With animals, the effect can have place even when the ambient light is sufficient to prevent it in humans.

rep_effect09.jpgrep_effect12.jpg

Tapetal color can vary to some extent with coat colour. Some animals, and a few dog and cat breeds (for instance, blue point siamese cats), have no tapetal pigmentation. These animals show a red reflex as humans.

The color of the eyes in the picture also depends on the angle at which you take a photo. Taking pictures of the same animal from different positions of your camera may produce different results:

rep_effect03.jpgrep_effect04.jpgrep_effect05.jpg

rep_effect06.jpgrep_effect07.jpg

You can see the left and right pet eyes have different colors on the picture below simply because their eyes were positioned at different angles to the camera:

rep_effect08.jpg

Yellow or green eyes are ok in pets photos, but if you see this in photos of humans, it may indicate a serious problem.

This is just info i looked up recently as my shepherd always has red/green eye's in a picture :)

Bue eye Husky's are always red in pictures, doesn't mean that is any indication of a problem. How prevalent are eye defects in the Siberian Husky? Of the three major eye diseases of the Siberian Husky, hereditary cataracts are the most common, followed by corneal dystrophy, and progressive retinal atrophy. A statistical report conducted by members of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists in 1999 provided the following information regarding the Siberian Husky. Out of 1345 Siberian Huskies examined, a total of 107 dogs had inheritable cataracts (8%), a total of 44 dogs had corneal dystrophy (3%), and 4 dogs had progressive retinal atrophy (less than 1%).

How can genetic eye defects be reduced or eliminated? Research is now being conducted to develop DNA testing for both hereditary cataracts and progressive retinal atrophy. Until these tests are available, the SHCA and the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists have established guidelines to help breeders decrease the spread of heritable eye disorders. The guidelines are as follows: Every dog to be used for breeding must be examined by a veterinarian that is board certified by the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmology. This examination must be done during the year that the dog is to be used for breeding. Only dogs with normal examinations are to be used for breeding. Caution must be exercised in the use of those dogs that are closely related to affected dogs, or when a breeder suspects that an individual dog is producing a defect in its offspring. Though the dog itself may not exhibit signs of the eye defect, that dog should promptly and permanently be withheld from further breeding.

Is there a breed registry available for normal eyes? Since eye abnormalities can appear over a period of several years, annual eye examinations are imperative. It is possible for a dog to have a normal eye examination at one year of age and be severely afflicted with an eye disorder one or two years later. In the case of hereditary eye disease, consideration must be given to the possibility that the defect occurs as a genetic recessive gene. In this instance, two normal dogs that are carriers of the defect will pass the eye exam and yet pass the genetic defect to the offspring.

In 1975, a central agency was formed to register annual eye examination reports for all breeds. The agency, named the Canine Eye Registry Foundation (CERF), compiled eye data and reports for all breeds. In addition, upon receipt of an approved eye examination form signed by an ACVO veterinary ophthalmologist, the registry issued adult dog certificates and breed numbers which included the date of the eye examination along with the current age of the dog. The certificate was good for one year.

When CERF disbanded in 1979, the SHCA instituted the Siberian Husky Ophthalmologic Registry (SHOR). This agency continued the function of registering Siberian Huskies that had completed an ACVO annual eye examination. In order to receive a SHOR certification, which is only valid for one year, the dog has to be at least one year of age. The SHOR registry number consists of three segments:

1. an individual number sequential to the number of previously certified dogs;

2. the month and year of the examination;

3. the age in months of the dog at the examination.

The name of the dog and the registry number are published in the Newsletter of the SHCA, and on this website.

In 1982 the CERF eye registry was reinstituted and at present, both the CERF and SHOR registries are available for eye certification.

Reputable breeders of Siberian Huskies provide current eye examination reports by ACVO veterinary ophthalmologists for all breeding stock. All potential puppy buyers should ask to see the eye examination report for both the sire and the dam of the litter.

For SHOR information, contact:

Jamesa Maulden, SHOR Chairperson

PO Box 1109

Maple Valley, WA 98038-1109

jamesa@syntari.com

Or, visit the SHOR pages on this website: SHOR

For CERF information, contact:

CERF

1248 Lynn Hall

Purdue University

W. Lafayette, IN 47907 http://www.shca.org/shcahp4d.htm

ok well. how about this. if someone can answer this for me ill be greatful. Once sonoma fell asleep on the floor and when she got up one of her pupils was smaller than the other. Immediately i freaked, but both eyes were following my finger and she would respond to commands. i thought seizure so i tested various things. at that time she was 9 weeks old and i watched her like a hawk so i knew she did not eat anything she shouldnt have and did not have any head trauma bc i was with her all the time. it really freaked me out though and i often still check but it hasnt happened since. a girl i know said that in humans that can mean theres a tumour in the head or on the eye but thats humans and obv dogs are much different. what do you make of that?

I don't have an answer for you but I know what you mean. It's happened twice with Safi. Once July 10 and again sept 11. We had her booked in to see the vet for another reason and on the day of the visit she woke with odd eyes. It was mainly due to her eyes they picked up on the liver failure. Absolutely not connected by any means so don't panick ! They like me assumed she had a phantom pregnancy but took her in the back of the surgery to check her odd eyes for irregularities. They couldn't find any but gave us drops which I don't honestly think did anything. I can only tell you she's now three, fought off complete liver failure and anyone who's seen her will tell you she's a picture of health and hasn't had odd eyes since, so far

Bue eye Husky's are always red in pictures, doesn't mean that is any indication of a problem. How prevalent are eye defects in the Siberian Husky?Of the three major eye diseases of the Siberian Husky, hereditary cataracts are the most common, followed by corneal dystrophy, and progressive retinal atrophy. A statistical report conducted by members of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists in 1999 provided the following information regarding the Siberian Husky. Out of 1345 Siberian Huskies examined, a total of 107 dogs had inheritable cataracts (8%), a total of 44 dogs had corneal dystrophy (3%), and 4 dogs had progressive retinal atrophy (less than 1%).

How can genetic eye defects be reduced or eliminated? Research is now being conducted to develop DNA testing for both hereditary cataracts and progressive retinal atrophy. Until these tests are available, the SHCA and the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists have established guidelines to help breeders decrease the spread of heritable eye disorders. The guidelines are as follows: Every dog to be used for breeding must be examined by a veterinarian that is board certified by the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmology. This examination must be done during the year that the dog is to be used for breeding. Only dogs with normal examinations are to be used for breeding. Caution must be exercised in the use of those dogs that are closely related to affected dogs, or when a breeder suspects that an individual dog is producing a defect in its offspring. Though the dog itself may not exhibit signs of the eye defect, that dog should promptly and permanently be withheld from further breeding.

Is there a breed registry available for normal eyes? Since eye abnormalities can appear over a period of several years, annual eye examinations are imperative. It is possible for a dog to have a normal eye examination at one year of age and be severely afflicted with an eye disorder one or two years later. In the case of hereditary eye disease, consideration must be given to the possibility that the defect occurs as a genetic recessive gene. In this instance, two normal dogs that are carriers of the defect will pass the eye exam and yet pass the genetic defect to the offspring.

In 1975, a central agency was formed to register annual eye examination reports for all breeds. The agency, named the Canine Eye Registry Foundation (CERF), compiled eye data and reports for all breeds. In addition, upon receipt of an approved eye examination form signed by an ACVO veterinary ophthalmologist, the registry issued adult dog certificates and breed numbers which included the date of the eye examination along with the current age of the dog. The certificate was good for one year.

When CERF disbanded in 1979, the SHCA instituted the Siberian Husky Ophthalmologic Registry (SHOR). This agency continued the function of registering Siberian Huskies that had completed an ACVO annual eye examination. In order to receive a SHOR certification, which is only valid for one year, the dog has to be at least one year of age. The SHOR registry number consists of three segments:

1. an individual number sequential to the number of previously certified dogs;

2. the month and year of the examination;

3. the age in months of the dog at the examination.

The name of the dog and the registry number are published in the Newsletter of the SHCA, and on this website.

In 1982 the CERF eye registry was reinstituted and at present, both the CERF and SHOR registries are available for eye certification.

Reputable breeders of Siberian Huskies provide current eye examination reports by ACVO veterinary ophthalmologists for all breeding stock. All potential puppy buyers should ask to see the eye examination report for both the sire and the dam of the litter.

For SHOR information, contact:

Jamesa Maulden, SHOR Chairperson

PO Box 1109

Maple Valley, WA 98038-1109

jamesa@syntari.com

Or, visit the SHOR pages on this website: SHOR

For CERF information, contact:

CERF

1248 Lynn Hall

Purdue University

W. Lafayette, IN 47907 http://www.shca.org/shcahp4d.htm

Great information and advice! Thanks for the research!! Great Job! Carmen OFM

[quote name='"saintlysinner :), post: 603345, member: 7513"']If you use a flash in a dark environment, you often get a red eye effect. This is because the light of the flash is reflecting from the retina, which is covered with tiny blood vessels.

The more open the pupils are, the more red eye effect you get in your photos. Red eye is more pronounced in people with light eye color. It is also more pronounced in people with blond or light-red hair and in children.

rep_effect02.jpgrep_effect01.jpg

When you take photos of animals, the red eye effect can be quite different. Animals have a reflective layer in the back of their eyes behind the retina called the tapetum. This layer enhances their night vision. The colour of the tapetum gives you blue, green, yellow, or white eye effect. With animals, the effect can have place even when the ambient light is sufficient to prevent it in humans.

rep_effect09.jpgrep_effect12.jpg

Tapetal color can vary to some extent with coat colour. Some animals, and a few dog and cat breeds (for instance, blue point siamese cats), have no tapetal pigmentation. These animals show a red reflex as humans.

The color of the eyes in the picture also depends on the angle at which you take a photo. Taking pictures of the same animal from different positions of your camera may produce different results:

rep_effect03.jpgrep_effect04.jpgrep_effect05.jpg

rep_effect06.jpgrep_effect07.jpg

You can see the left and right pet eyes have different colors on the picture below simply because their eyes were positioned at different angles to the camera:

rep_effect08.jpg

Yellow or green eyes are ok in pets photos, but if you see this in photos of humans, it may indicate a serious problem.

This is just info i looked up recently as my shepherd always has red/green eye's in a picture :)

...you know what's cooler? Seeing your dog's tapetum at night, when they're outside and they look back at you from the dark...

post-8679-0-06161900-1390839387_thumb.jp

(Okay, well, it wasn't quite THAT dark outside when I took that picture, but it was dark enough. I think it was dusk.)

Thanks for the information, though, everyone! My current vet doesn't do detailed annual eye exams...I guess I'd better ask her to start.

post-3404-13586026079182_thumb.png

I had spoken to my vet on numerous occasions regarding my GSD's eyes, and she has done her best to reassure me lily's eye's were fine, but i kept worrying because of the constant red/green eye in pictures, and after researching lots of eye conditions, my previous shepherd at 15 went half blind, but more due to her age :( ...i came across the above info, which i thought may help, although reassurance from a vet always means a lot more in my opinion !

How do the pupils respond to light? Do they contract properly/the same? I seem to recall hearing someone else with a similar situation (can't recall where I heard about it), and it turned out to be nothing, but if you have concerns, it's definitely something to talk to your vet about...

How do the pupils respond to light? Do they contract properly/the same? I seem to recall hearing someone else with a similar situation (can't recall where I heard about it), and it turned out to be nothing, but if you have concerns, it's definitely something to talk to your vet about...

when they're normal they respond and when they were weird they resonded too the smaller one just stayed slightly smaller in the dark until we went outside at night time and stayed for a bit then when we came back in they had both returned to normal

One thing I notice in your pics is that her eye with the pupil that is smaller is receiving more light on it than is the eye with the larger pupil. Blue eyes are more sensitive to light than are eyes with more pigment - there typically is less pigment on the retina, as well. This would make the pupil contract more readily with a little more light. I don't think it's likely to be of any great concern, but still, if it's a concern, bring it up with your vet - sooner rather than later.

One thing I notice in your pics is that her eye with the pupil that is smaller is receiving more light on it than is the eye with the larger pupil. Blue eyes are more sensitive to light than are eyes with more pigment - there typically is less pigment on the retina, as well. This would make the pupil contract more readily with a little more light. I don't think it's likely to be of any great concern, but still, if it's a concern, bring it up with your vet - sooner rather than later.

It was posted as an example. Safi is fine, our vet saw this the second time it happened. The two incidences occurred around 18 months apart and the pic was taken with her back to the window. I watched her eye for several days and it stayed the same regardless of light changes. We have very big windows. The main lounge one being 2m63cm. It's an odd occurrence but there doesn't appear to be any underlying reason for it :)

those pics are the same thing that happened to sonoma. im assuming maybe had something to do with she fell asleep before the sun set and when she got up it was darker and we had all the lights inside on. as i said once i took her outside in the dark it rectified itself very quickly.