The grass is always greener...

Kechara

Kechara

If you're interested in moving to Canada, I have give you more information about our climate and such. The climate is definitely different up here than in Texas, and the 'warmest' part of Canada right now would be Southern Ontario near the Great Lakes...where I live. It might be due tot he messed up weather, but this winter it only went down to -15 C and the summer last year it went up to 36 C (That summer was a SCORCHER!)

Southern Ontario is also humid, though, due to the Great Lakes...so the summers feel hotter than they are and the winters feel colder than they really are.

We're generally accepting of Americans so you won't have to worry about that. :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

now for the england/uk who knows u might wanna live in wales which is a nice place but i would avoid scotland. its cold and well speaking doesn't come with subtitles which when speaking to a full blown scottish man you may find yourself saying ok to everything then find out you have just bought a skirt and a woman bag that looks like a fancy bum bag.

:doglaugh:

That would be my husband - he can't understand a word Billy Connolly says, but he can 'sorta' understand Sean Connery, me, I don't need to understand what they say, I just look and listen :rolleyes:

My daughter has bought a house in Cyprus and intends moving there in a few years. She is trying to persuade us to buy there as well, but South Africa is my home. We have serious problems here, but I think the country is worth saving, so as much as I like to think about moving to a place like Alaska, I will never actually leave here. I am African to the bone :)

Interesting topic, with some very interesting comments - and pleasantly surprised that it hasn't turned into either "my country is better than yours" or "<pick your country> is so politically corrupt, I don't see how you can live there".

So for me, since I've retired and moved onto the desert, I can't think of a better place to be. The little vill 18 miles down the road has a population of about 250 people, two stores, two gas stations and a handful of eateries, so even if I can't get a good Italian or Indian meal, I can get decent TexMex / American food.

Like others who live in the country have said, it's nice to be able to walk out, leave the doors unlocked and know the house will still be there, intact, when we get back. On the other hand, doing any serious shopping is a full day affair since the nearest city is San Antonio at about 3 hours away - a little further than I wanted but I can live with that. It's amazing the things you can get for reasonable ( or less ) prices over the internet.

Neighbors? What neighbors? The fellow who lives across the road from me is home now, but will be going back out into the oil field shortly ( just got back from a stint in Israel, who knows where they'll send him next ). Other than him, my nearest full time neighbors are 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away. No loud music here!

15 - 20 years ago I seriously thought about retiring to Mexico, spent quite a bit of time across the border - but that was way before 9/11 and now it's a hassle getting back out and the general Mexican seems unhappy to see anything of us (other than our dollars). With the movement of the very active drug cartels from South America into Mexico it makes the thought of going there, even for a visit, much less appealing. Though an ex-pat forum I read says it's nowhere near as bad nor unwelcoming as the media make it out to be.

I'm definitely a warm weather person, the thought of Michigan (et al), Canada or Alaska leave me cold ( no pun intended ). I've thought about investigating the possibility of Southeast Asia, I loved the countries and the people when I was there (( well, the ones who weren't shooting at me! )) but from what I'm seeing now, it's either a choice of big city living with all that that entails or remote villages and I'm too computer addicted to be able to handle that.

-- fin --

@Al that's what I call space. Where I live the average population per acre is 12 and rising. Traffic jams start just after 7.00 am. However, I have theatres, cinemas and all the attractions of London on my doorstep. Canada sounds like a good place to settle, especially with comparable health care to the UK. However after seeing the pictures of Vermont that SA DA KA posted that looks a good place to settle too.l