Husky or Wolf

Lurio

ok i am getting really scared because i bought a supposedly husky puppy but i researched wolf hybrids and it turns out that my guy might be on and i dont think i can raise a wolf. I am terrified. He has an incredible hard bite for his age and he bites on everyting my clothes hand shoes.

HELP!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calm down and breathe.

ALL puppies bite everything when they're young. They're teething. Some chew more than others, yes, but they still bite and if you don't control it, they'll turn that into biting people.

What, exactly, is the research you've done that makes you think you've got a wolf hybrid?

Calm down and breathe.

ALL puppies bite everything when they're young. They're teething. Some chew more than others, yes, but they still bite and if you don't control it, they'll turn that into biting people.

What, exactly, is the research you've done that makes you think you've got a wolf hybrid?

Yes. His tail isn't curl he has very high predatory senses. I am trying to upload a pic but it won't let me and his bite is really hard my hand is destroyed he has broken skin about 6 times not to the point of gushing blood but he has cut me and today i took him to the beach and he bit a lab puppy on the neck i dont know if it was playing or aggressiveness but the lab yelped.

Huskies have a very high prey drive and their tails don't curl when they're that young.

Dogs, even puppies, have the ability to bite hard. That's why bite inhibition is so important!

Huskies do play rough and other dogs might interpret it as aggression, it all sounds normal husky behaviour to me!

Also, assuming the avatar is your puppy or looks similar to your puppy, wolf puppies don't look like that...

Huskies have a very high prey drive and their tails don't curl when they're that young.

Dogs, even puppies, have the ability to bite hard. That's why bite inhibition is so important!

Huskies do play rough and other dogs might interpret it as aggression, it all sounds normal husky behaviour to me!

Also, assuming the avatar is your puppy or looks similar to your puppy, wolf puppies don't look like that...

nope that was a friends but he is so stubborn i try nudging him yelling ouch but he thinks its a game

it wont let me upload one of my pictures it says error

nope that was a friends but he is so stubborn i try nudging him yelling ouch but he thinks its a game

it wont let me upload one of my pictures it says error

He might think its a game because you're nudging him. Just 'Yelp" or say "ouch" in a high-pitched voice and then ignore him until he calms down. Don't nudge him or give him any attention.

Try to upload your picture on another website, like www.picturepush.com or www.tinypic.com , and then post the 'direct link' here.

First and foremost you need to breathe and calm down.:grouphug:

I agree it sounds like normal puppy behavior to start with. How old is your pup? What do you feed him/her? What exercise and training does he/she get?

When Kiana was a puppy and she was learning bite inhibition every time she bit me to hard I would hold her mouth gently but firmly closed and say no bite and then all play and interraction will stop for about 10 mins so she realized not only did she get a reaction she didn't like but also there is no more fun. She got it after a while. Do you do any training at all with your pup? Right now is the ultimately perfect time to start training in sit, stay, come, and most importantly LEAVE IT. That will save you alot of trouble in the future believe me. The pup needs mental stimulation and this is a good ripe age to get some key training points in. As for the biting and yelping chances are it was simply a husky way of playing, the favorite of the breed is to grab neck fur and either hang on for dear life or yank like it's a rope toy, and the lap was not used to that kind of play and/or the pup bit to hard and shocked the dog.

As said above huskies have extremely high prey drive it's part of the breed. Again I must stress this is a prime time to do some training with your puppy to get at least some focus on your outside. As for the pup being a wolf hybrid I highly doubt it if your only basing your research on looks. I have a great wolfdog forum that I can send you the link to and you can upload a pic there and they can further advise you but if it is the pup in your pic I'd say there's not wolf at all in it.

Hope this helps some having a new puppy that isn't acting like you may think it should is kinda scary but it really does sounds like a typical husky puppy :)

First and foremost you need to breathe and calm down.:grouphug:

I agree it sounds like normal puppy behavior to start with. How old is your pup? What do you feed him/her? What exercise and training does he/she get?

When Kiana was a puppy and she was learning bite inhibition every time she bit me to hard I would hold her mouth gently but firmly closed and say no bite and then all play and interraction will stop for about 10 mins so she realized not only did she get a reaction she didn't like but also there is no more fun. She got it after a while. Do you do any training at all with your pup? Right now is the ultimately perfect time to start training in sit, stay, come, and most importantly LEAVE IT. That will save you alot of trouble in the future believe me. The pup needs mental stimulation and this is a good ripe age to get some key training points in. As for the biting and yelping chances are it was simply a husky way of playing, the favorite of the breed is to grab neck fur and either hang on for dear life or yank like it's a rope toy, and the lap was not used to that kind of play and/or the pup bit to hard and shocked the dog.

As said above huskies have extremely high prey drive it's part of the breed. Again I must stress this is a prime time to do some training with your puppy to get at least some focus on your outside. As for the pup being a wolf hybrid I highly doubt it if your only basing your research on looks. I have a great wolfdog forum that I can send you the link to and you can upload a pic there and they can further advise you but if it is the pup in your pic I'd say there's not wolf at all in it.

Hope this helps some having a new puppy that isn't acting like you may think it should is kinda scary but it really does sounds like a typical husky puppy :)

You are totally right thats him haha i love him i really do but if he is part wolf i dont know if its safe cuz i have young siblings and i cant have a wolf in the house. OK so i only had him for 3 days but in the past three days i have been outside with him 6+hrs outside and today i took him to the beach. What i like about him is that he follows me like he ows me his life i am serious i took off the leash and i was just walking ahead and he would come next to my leg and walk next to me. I havent started training yet because i want him to get used to me and the house first so next week i will probably start to train him.

Pictures:

http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/7828216/640/Picture-Box/IMG-0798.jpg

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/7828202/640/Picture-Box/IMG-0795.jpg

http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/7828191/640/Picture-Box/IMG-0783.jpg

http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/7828181/640/Picture-Box/IMG-0787.jpg

He's adorable for sure :) Couple things I'm concerned with if I may. First and for most he is not part wolf. I can guarantee that he looks pure sibe to me so that's one fear you can put to rest. Again I can give you the link to my wolfdog forum if it'll make you feel better be he clearly has not wolf in him from what I see.

Second, he is following you because he is a baby and right now you of course are his world. When he hits 3-4 months he will NOT listen to you or follow you. Please Please Please start leash training him NOW. Work on a good recall now while he is following you off lead but, as a Mod here had experienced just the other day, huskies do NOT listen off lead do to their prey drive and instinct to run. I had the same thing happen with Kiana she was great at recall and following me until about 4-5 months old and now I'm lucky if she even looks back when she takes off at the dog park; the ONLY place she is allowed off lead as it is fully enclosed.

Third, three days is ample enough time to start putting him in his place and training him. He needs structure and discipline NOW before he is to old and stubborn to listen. Right now is the perfect age as they are still holding you as the center of their world but as I stated above that will NOT last. Huskies are a very stubborn, self motivated breed so you need to get a firm handle on him now. Please feel free to start some good solid training with him. When he hits that golden age of 4 months you'll wonder whose dog it is and what happened to yours lol. It's a typical husky growth spurt.

I know I sound harsh and it's not meant to be that way but time and again people are put far to at ease by the "puppy" stage and don't realize how this breed can truly be when they come out of their shells at 4 months old and start to experience more of the world and less of you lol.

You are totally right thats him haha i love him i really do but if he is part wolf i dont know if its safe cuz i have young siblings and i cant have a wolf in the house. OK so i only had him for 3 days but in the past three days i have been outside with him 6+hrs outside and today i took him to the beach. What i like about him is that he follows me like he ows me his life i am serious i took off the leash and i was just walking ahead and he would come next to my leg and walk next to me. I havent started training yet because i want him to get used to me and the house first so next week i will probably start to train him.

Pictures:

He looks so cute! :)

I doubt he's part wolf, he doesn't look like it.

Make sure you don't walk him or exercise him too much or it'll hurt his joint and he'll develop joint problems at a young age.

He's a puppy, so of course he'll stick by you. Just wait until he reaches the teenager stage (5 months and beyond)...and then it wouldn't be a good idea to let him off anymore. Sibes are TERRIBLE recall because they're so stubborn!

I recommend using the NILF method (Nothing in Life is Free) to train him when you start...if you Google it there are lots of good sites that come up.

Okay, from those pictures, you've got a husky pup, not a wolf cross.

I agree with what the others have said. You REALLY need to get on this bite thing by either yelping and walking away from him, or grabbing his muzzle and a firm "no" and ending whatever you're doing with him at that moment. He needs to learn biting means all the "fun" ends.

Everything else you've said screams husky to me. My Orion will grab my Shila's scruff and literally DRAG her around, until she retaliates. It's just how some dogs are. Doesn't mean he's a wolf, he's just an annoying pest. :D Teaching him commands and especially "Leave it!" is a good idea, especially for your boy. Pick a method of training - clicker, food, toy - and start now teaching him. Make specific time in the day - it only needs to be five minutes - and work with him. Look up training videos online, there's tons of positive training vids on YouTube.

But you really need to work on his biting. If he bit a lab, he's already playing too aggressive perhaps and he needs to tone it down. That can be something you can try to teach him, too. Play is okay, but it gets too rough, tell him "Enough!" or something so he stops the play and gets a chance to calm down. Some dogs don't like really overbearing husky play and will cower, make noise and act like they're dying when they aren't. But it freaks the owners and gets them on your case which sometimes doesn't help a situation.

calm down - hes deffo a husky puppy :) i see no wolf in him at all

puppies bite - its how they play with their siblings -of corse those sharp puppy teeth on skin HURT tho so he needs to learn that biting is not allowed

have a read of this http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/bite-inhabition-the-most-important-thing-you-can-teach-your-dog.8234/

at a young ages - huskies tails dont curl - as he gets older - it will curl over - we got people asking us if Blaze was a pure breed or not because his tail wasnt curly but now it curls right over :)

and prey drive is common in huskies - i think they all have a prey drive - i cant walk near a pidgeon without them wanting to stalk it and pounce on it lol

also like said above try not to walk him too much or u will damage his joints , 5 mins per month per walk is reccomended

and huskies arent reliable offleash , at a young age ur the best thing since sliced bread to him - but as he gets older n his desire to run kicks in - coupled with that preydrive - u will find it hard to get him back , teach a recall with him anyway incase he escapes but dont let him off the lead intentionally unless ur in a fully secure enclosed area :)

He looks so cute! :)

I doubt he's part wolf, he doesn't look like it.

Make sure you don't walk him or exercise him too much or it'll hurt his joint and he'll develop joint problems at a young age.

He's a puppy, so of course he'll stick by you. Just wait until he reaches the teenager stage (5 months and beyond)...and then it wouldn't be a good idea to let him off anymore. Sibes are TERRIBLE recall because they're so stubborn!

I recommend using the NILF method (Nothing in Life is Free) to train him when you start...if you Google it there are lots of good sites that come up.

Thank god, what made me think he was a wolf was this black stride from the top of the head to his tail and he was an unusual color because you usually see a black and white husky .

OMG i have exhausted him these past few days i will tone it down though because i have school so dont worry i dont want to hurt him.

Haha i just thought i was a genius guess not. Yes i am starting to se how hard headed he is now.

btw does that overwalking have anything to do with him vomiting just now after eating :S

He looks all husky to me. Bit inhibition is super important to teach. When ours was a puppy had quite the set of puppy chompers, a bit of time and it was curbed pretty quick. Additional training will do a few things for you, so the sooner you start the better.

1. It will help your puppy to know what you expect. He will never be trained to do the things you expect him to do if you don't train him.

2. You'll get some control over your dog as it ages. Believe me, a husky with no training can be a destructive nightmare (love you Eponine). You ony need to read the countess tales of people's dogs getting out to realize how important getting recall actually is.

Another thing is that our huskies play pretty rough, enough that some people actually get concerned because they're so loud when they're messing around. This is normal for them, and not for other dogs...we lucked out with Fox just because we were able to socialize him with an old, patient black lab that is still a lot bigger than him. Their playing interactions at the younger age went something like this: Fox is crackhead, Lab tolerates it for a few minutes, Fox continues being crackhead...Lab swats him away over and over again...actually just sitting on him every so often until he got the hint.

Read, research and keep your chin up. It's tough going sometimes but a Husky is a companion like no other.

I will

Okay, from those pictures, you've got a husky pup, not a wolf cross.

I agree with what the others have said. You REALLY need to get on this bite thing by either yelping and walking away from him, or grabbing his muzzle and a firm "no" and ending whatever you're doing with him at that moment. He needs to learn biting means all the "fun" ends.

Everything else you've said screams husky to me. My Orion will grab my Shila's scruff and literally DRAG her around, until she retaliates. It's just how some dogs are. Doesn't mean he's a wolf, he's just an annoying pest. :D Teaching him commands and especially "Leave it!" is a good idea, especially for your boy. Pick a method of training - clicker, food, toy - and start now teaching him. Make specific time in the day - it only needs to be five minutes - and work with him. Look up training videos online, there's tons of positive training vids on YouTube.

But you really need to work on his biting. If he bit a lab, he's already playing too aggressive perhaps and he needs to tone it down. That can be something you can try to teach him, too. Play is okay, but it gets too rough, tell him "Enough!" or something so he stops the play and gets a chance to calm down. Some dogs don't like really overbearing husky play and will cower, make noise and act like they're dying when they aren't. But it freaks the owners and gets them on your case which sometimes doesn't help a situation.

I will because i dont like it but the thing is that today 100 toddlers petted him and he licked them to death as soon as an older person does it he goes HAM. Hey i wanna thank you for your humbleness and for sharing your knowledge. Thank i was so stressed out because the lab was so cute and when he cried i thought Leo (my husky) really hurt him. Thanks again i am grateful to have found this webpage.

Thank god, what made me think he was a wolf was this black stride from the top of the head to his tail and he was an unusual color because you usually see a black and white husky .

OMG i have exhausted him these past few days i will tone it down though because i have school so dont worry i dont want to hurt him.

Haha i just thought i was a genius guess not. Yes i am starting to se how hard headed he is now.

btw does that overwalking have anything to do with him vomiting just now after eating :S

It could, it could also be that there's too much time between feedings, or too much food being given at a time. How much are you feeding him? What are you feeding him? How long between feedings?

LOL huskies come in all kinds of colors mine is a light red and white and apparently looks like a white coyote LOL.

The general rule of thumb is 10mins per month of age for exercise for a puppy so if you are doing more than that then yes he could be over stimulated. Second thing, he should not be eating 20 mins prior to or after exercise to give his system time to settle so no tummy upset occurs.

If you look at my husky, in my signature, his colours make him look like a wolf right? But he's not, he's a husky. :)

I heard the rule is add 5 minutes to the walk every month of growth after their second set of shots (they shouldn't really be out and about until their 2nd set of puppy shots...cause they *can* pick up canine parvo which is mostly deadly in puppies)

First welcome to the forum! I agree with everyone who has posted. I see no signs of wolf in his pictures and his behavior sounds typical husky. Just do lots of research on the breed and follow the excellent advice given above. This forum has tons of great info and personal experience from various husky owners. Feel free to browse the threads and ask questions. Welcome to the fun and challenging would of husky ownership!

Some dogs have a black stripe down their back, some don't. Yours might lose his as he ages as huskies go into coat changes seriously bad as they grow. A pup you think is red now will turn out black older or something. :) My Orion was a white puppy, now he's creamish with white and black on his back. Take lots of pic's now because when he's adult he might not look like the puppy you had at all. :D

I will

I will because i dont like it but the thing is that today 100 toddlers petted him and he licked them to death as soon as an older person does it he goes HAM. Hey i wanna thank you for your humbleness and for sharing your knowledge. Thank i was so stressed out because the lab was so cute and when he cried i thought Leo (my husky) really hurt him. Thanks again i am grateful to have found this webpage.

The thing about kids and pups is that yeah, everyone thinks they're great together, but it's not. A lot of trainers now suggest supervised interaction between pups and kids, and only if the kids are calm. A puppy chasing a kid looks cute, but the moment that pup bites/nips the kid, the parents freak and you're in trouble. And with older people, if you know them, ask them to help train by giving a treat to your pup only if he's nice - sits, doesn't bite or jump or anything - and that also helps him associate with people, too.

With kids...you also have to remember that they need to be taught how to interact with dogs the right way...no grabbing the face, ask to pet another persons dog first, etc. I posted a site with some guidelines for parents and dog owners...gotta see if I can find it

With kids involved though you have to take their safety into account first. Something a lot of people don't realize though is that you HAVE to go over the rules of interacting with dogs with your kids...and they need to be taken seriously and enforced constantly. I wouldn't allow the kidlets to be unsupervised with the new addition even if they were as old as twelve at this juncture in time.

doggonesafe has some rules regarding bite prevention to teach children.

Teresa's Bad Rules

These are rules that kids in Teresa's dog obedience classes call the "bad rules" because they

don't like some of them.

Following these dos and don’ts will help keep promote child safety around dogs and prevent

dog bites.

1. Do not hug a dog, put your face close to his face or lie on him. Do sit beside your

dog, rub his chest or scratch him on the side of the neck.

2. Do not play chase-me games with a dog. Do play hide and seek - where the dog

has to find you or an object that you hide.

3. Do not play tug-of-war games with a dog. Do play fetch with the dog - teach the

dog to trade the object for a treat so he won't try to tug.

4. Do not lean over or step over a dog. Do respect a dog's resting place - go around

him or ask an adult to move the dog.

5. Do not bother a dog who is sleeping, eating, has a toy or bone, is hurt or has

puppies. Do wait for the dog to come to you for attention.

6. Do not dress a dog up in play clothes. Do dress up your stuffed animals.

7. Do not hit a dog or poke him with a stick. Do be gentle with dogs.

8. Do not pull a dog's ears, tail or fur. Do scratch the dog's chest or the side of her

neck - most dogs enjoy this.

9. Do not stick fingers or hands into the dog's crate. Do ask an adult to let the dog out

of the crate if you want to pet her.

10. Do not play in the dog's crate. Do play "in and out of the crate" with the dog - toss

a treat in - dog goes in to get it - dog comes back out - toss another treat in etc

(with adult supervision).

11. If your dog does not welcome you with wagging and panting - leave him alone. Do

wait for the dog to come to you for attention.

12. If your dog gets too rough or excited, stand still like a tree until he gets bored and

goes away.

13. Do not run and shout around a dog that is not in a crate. Do be calm around dogs;

involve the dog in an activity such as chewing on a bone or playing fetch so he

doesn't feel that he needs to chase you to have fun.

Nextdaypets also has an area with rules for kids and dog interactions that covers some of the basics

Tricks before Treats

No treats or toys for the dog until he does a trick.

This is especially important if you follow the NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free) training philosophy. If a dog is acting up, being too wild, barking, begging or performing some other undesirable behavior, and you give him a treat to shut him up, you have just shown him exactly what he has to do to get a treat. Instead, when your dog is performing an undesirable behavior, ask him to sit, lay down, shake, or do something else for which he would deserve a treat, then he can have one. The same goes for playing with toys. Don’t throw the ball to distract your dog when he’s barking. Make him work for it first.

Golden Rule

Treat your dog the way you would like to be treated.

Ask children if they would like their ears pulled on, if they would like to be forced to stand on one leg, if they would like to be smacked, pinched, or squeezed. Of course they wouldn’t. Make sure children around your dog understand that the only acceptable way to treat the dog is in ways they would not mind being treated.

No Teasing

Do not tease the dog with food or toys, and especially not hands.

Teasing breeds aggression and confusion in both dogs and people. First of all, it is mean, and that is the best way to explain it to kidsâ€â€it goes along with the golden rule. Furthermore, teasing dogs with food and toys will teach them to jump up. This can lead to children getting scratched, knocked over, or maybe worse. Kids teasing a dog with their hands are likely to get bitten eventually.

Why I Bite

I bite because it’s the only way I have to say “No, I don’t like thatâ€Â

Trusted family dogs will put up with an awful lot, but we are still animals. We cannot yell at you; our only recourse if things go too far is to bite. Explain to kids that dogs don’t have hands to push you away or words to ask nicely, so they must not cross the dog’s boundaries by being too rough, teasing the dog, or otherwise messing with him.

Activity Zones

Leave the dog alone in his crate and in his bed, the outdoors are for playing, inside is for relaxing.

Establish rules associated with different areas in the home. If you have a play room where the kids are allowed to play with the dog and his toys, that is fine. Otherwise, make it clear to the kids that excitable, raucous play is for outside only, it is safer and things are less likely to get broken.

Also, kids must understand that a dog’s bed and his crate are his and only his. A dog should always feel safe and comfortable in his crate. Explain to children that his crate is his room, his private space, and he should be left alone when he is in it.

Game No Nos

No Tug-o-war, chasing, wrestling, or jumping.

These games are too rowdy and teach the dog to be too physical with children. They can also go wrong quickly. Chasing is all fun and games until the dog playfully tackles the child to the ground and the child gets hurt. These games also cause training backslides because they often allow the dog to feel dominant.

Take it Easy

Be calm around dogs.

When you are playing with a dog, it is not a time to yell, scream, or run. Dogs react to this kind of behavior with raucous excitement of their own.

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

Don’t mess with the dog when he’s sleeping.

Children must understand that dogs can act aggressively if bothered when they are sleeping. Besides, they deserve their rest too.

No People Food

Absolutely no people food for dogs.

As the dog’s owner, you are entitled to decide whether or not your dog may eat people food, but this rule should still stand with children. Most kids do not have a thorough enough understanding about what foods are dangerous for dogs, what is unhealthy, and what it just too much. If kids feel empowered to give your dog people food, you will have a hard time knowing how many calories he is consuming, and therefore will have difficulty regulating his diet.

Four on the Floor

No picking up the dog or “dancing†with him

Dogs are most comfortable with four feet on the floor; this is how they are designed and how it was meant to be. Dogs who are picked up could react with aggression, or they could squirm and accidentally be dropped.

Pictures:

hi your puppy is adorable ...he doesn,t look like a hybrid ...enjoy him

Calm down, your very typical coloring blue eyed puppy is not a wolf hybrid. Nothing about this puppy says wolf-cross, so relax. As an owner of 3 hybrids I can assure you this. Huskies are very exuberant and all puppies bite and they do require a set schedule and consistent training.