Dominant Husky puppy

Lurio

First, sorry for so many threads im new here and i have a problem with my new lovely husky pup. My puppy barks howls and growls and he plays really rough. In another thread a person suggested that i need to claim my alpha role which i thought i had. I always wait to feed him. I take his food bowl when he is eating and then give it back to remind him that i am providing the food and i have tried to lay him down down and use my hand as a bite but he doesnt give up and start yelping what should i do?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, sorry for so many threads im new here and i have a problem with my new lovely husky pup. My puppy barks howls and growls and he plays really rough. In another thread a person suggested that i need to claim my alpha role which i thought i had. I always wait to feed him. I take his food bowl when he is eating and then give it back to remind him that i am providing the food and i have tried to lay him down down and use my hand as a bite but he doesnt give up and start yelping what should i do?

I like using the NILF method. Nothing in Life is Free.

My husky is a rather dominant boy, and the NILF method works for him. Just Google it and a whole bunch of good websites will come up. :)

The yelping from your pup probably means your hurting him when you do that, so I wouldn't do it anymore. Your pup isn't going to trust you that way...

Ok, remember two things: 1) He's a puppy, like children it takes time for them to understand the boundaries...and Siberians are unruly children that will constantly try to find out how far they can bend the rules especially if they don't really respect or see you as the pack provider. 2) you haven't had your puppy very long (didn't you say 4 days?)! They don't know the rules straight out of the box, they won't learn them in a matter of hours either, this is why puppy training classes aren't a one day and done thing!

Be patient, be consistent, and don't forget to have fun too. If you can make training fun they are more likely to retain the training. As soon as your pup has his full rounds of vaccinations I would highly recommend a reputable training program for both you and your pup.

Ok, remember two things: 1) He's a puppy, like children it takes time for them to understand the boundaries...and Siberians are unruly children that will constantly try to find out how far they can bend the rules especially if they don't really respect or see you as the pack provider. 2) you haven't had your puppy very long (didn't you say 4 days?)! They don't know the rules straight out of the box, they won't learn them in a matter of hours either, this is why puppy training classes aren't a one day and done thing!

Be patient, be consistent, and don't forget to have fun too. If you can make training fun they are more likely to retain the training. As soon as your pup has his full rounds of vaccinations I would highly recommend a reputable training program for both you and your pup.

I would want that because i can afford it but they don't have that kind of stuff where i live. (Albania) so i guess i am going to ask my friend who has had his dog for 4 years and hes going to help me out throughout this process

Check out these quotes on HO in Training and Behavior the thread is called "Informative Dog Quotes"

When you lay him down and you are playing the Alpha role, his "yelping" could him submitting (does he show his teeth when he does this or is his tail tucked in, those are all signs of submission)

He is a puppy, have fun with him and training is not an overnight success. All good things come to those who take their time, one training session at a time and when your done you will have the Siberian that you will be so proud of.:doglick:

Husky Lovers in Vermont

You have a Husky puppy! They like to make noise and tend to be very mouthy. You got your pup younger than 8 weeks, right? I seem to remember that... Puppies learn bite inhibition from their mother and litter mates, if he was taken away too young mouthiness is much worse. Huskies require a LOT of patience. Especially as puppies.

Huskies only push as far as we will bend. If he knows it takes him throwing a barking fit for you to go grab some toys or feed him you bet he's going to do that whenever he can. If he is getting too rough with his play you need to get up and become as boring as possible. Do not interact and do not speak/scold the puppy. If he starts to grab your pants or bite your shoes walk out of the room and close the door. They aren't stupid. He will quickly learn that if he wants you to play with him, he needs to be more gentle.

Huskies by nature are vocal. His growling/barking/howling is something they do naturally. Unless he's growling at you when you try and handle him or remove something from his mouth, it's nothing to worry about. Cheyenne makes some of the strangest noises but that's just how she is. Relax. Breathe!

You have a Husky puppy! They like to make noise and tend to be very mouthy. You got your pup younger than 8 weeks, right? I seem to remember that... Puppies learn bite inhibition from their mother and litter mates, if he was taken away too young mouthiness is much worse. Huskies require a LOT of patience. Especially as puppies.

Huskies only push as far as we will bend. If he knows it takes him throwing a barking fit for you to go grab some toys or feed him you bet he's going to do that whenever he can. If he is getting too rough with his play you need to get up and become as boring as possible. Do not interact and do not speak/scold the puppy. If he starts to grab your pants or bite your shoes walk out of the room and close the door. They aren't stupid. He will quickly learn that if he wants you to play with him, he needs to be more gentle.

Huskies by nature are vocal. His growling/barking/howling is something they do naturally. Unless he's growling at you when you try and handle him or remove something from his mouth, it's nothing to worry about. Cheyenne makes some of the strangest noises but that's just how she is. Relax. Breathe!

Nope. You're thinking of the one that is my avatar. Unfortunately i never ended up getting him (his owners decided to give it to someone else :( ] The one i got 5 days ago his name is Leo

this is him

http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/7828191/640/Picture-Box/IMG-0783.jpg

Yeah but he doesnt cry that much ie when i put him to sleep at night he doesnt cry until about 6 30 but when i do leave him he cries (i recorded him and he only cried for 10 minutes than i guess calmed down) I have tried being boring but he just chews on my sweatpants and i cant have him rip my pants and he also bites on my socks/foot. He only growls when i play fetch with him for example when i throw the ball he chases it and then as soon as he gets it he growls at it but he brings back after a couple of seconds. But if he were to be growling at me which he hasnt yet what should i do.

If he's chewing on you walk out of the room and close the door. Ignore him for a few and go back in there.

He is young and will cry when you frat him and leave, I have yet to have a puppy who didn't initially.

He just sounds like a goofy Husky puppy.

i am trying that as of right now i did it about three times with 1 min leaves and i cant say it has improved yet but i will keep doing it

and yeah he is

i am trying that as of right now i did it about three times with 1 min leaves and i cant say it has improved yet but i will keep doing it

and yeah he is

well he needs time :D in another thread, I read that you've just had him for a couple of days? no training would succeed in a few days only. Remain patient, consistent and firm. You'll get there soon ;)

well he needs time :D in another thread, I read that you've just had him for a couple of days? no training would succeed in a few days only. Remain patient, consistent and firm. You'll get there soon ;)

Yeah, although i have taught him to sit before i give him food or toys but he never does it when he sees i have nothing he likes and another thing when i put his harness on he bites it and me how do i make him calmer so i can put the harness on calmly? Thank you!

Growling during play wouldn't worry me. When I play tug with my dogs I encourage them to make growly noises it's just part of the fun of it.

Instead of you leaving the room do you have somewhere you can put him like a sectioned off area or play pen? I'd also redirect him onto an object he can bite.

Yeah, although i have taught him to sit before i give him food or toys but he never does it when he sees i have nothing he likes and another thing when i put his harness on he bites it and me how do i make him calmer so i can put the harness on calmly? Thank you!

That problem arises when you use the toy or food as a lure to get the dog into position and the sight of the reward becomes a cue for the behaviour.

If he understands the verbal command fade the lure. Don't let him see you have food or a toy (hold it behind your back for eg) so he learns he gets it even if he can't see it.

I would reward him for being calm as you put the harness on him, distract him with some food treats etc and get him used to being handled.

woooooooaahhhhh, slow down :) relax!! he is just a pup :-) the first thing you should be doing with your new pup is loving him, enjoying him & having fun :) training is also important (obviously!) It takes minutes for them to pick up tricks - but it takes days of training that same trick to get them to do it without a treat :) just take it slow n steady! Everything that his been posted above is exactly how to go about it all - although, what I have noticed, is certain things don't work with them until they are older... (bite inhibition is a good example, holding their mouth shut and saying NO is supposed to work, it didn't work with Luka but now that he has his shiny new teeth he sometimes does bite a little hard, and that same technique works just fine at 5 months - he also seems to know when he has bitten a little too hard and just "licks it better"). So my point is that they do learn - just remember your little guy has only been on the planet for a matter of weeks so anything he does wrong is simply because he doesn't know any better :)

That problem arises when you use the toy or food as a lure to get the dog into position and the sight of the reward becomes a cue for the behaviour.

If he understands the verbal command fade the lure. Don't let him see you have food or a toy (hold it behind your back for eg) so he learns he gets it even if he can't see it.

I would reward him for being calm as you put the harness on him, distract him with some food treats etc and get him used to being handled.

ok well what about potty training that is not going well i have tried many ways but he always does it in my room or in the hall

I've very quickly skimmed and scanned through all of the posts here and pretty much agreed with all that has been said, but could you (Lurio - OP) try and break down what exactly your pup is doing and when? For (any) example:

1. Pup growling when trying to put on a harness or pick him up.

2. He tries to nip me when I attempt to share a toy with him.

3. He seems to randomly bark/howl at me for no reason.

Try (for me at least :D) to put each problem down as a list (I'm a bit OCD:oops:) as some of the issues might be puppy related and some might be an attempt at dominance. If the latter, you're in for a bit of a ride.;)

Try not to put him on his back, however: this is becoming an outdated method with some high profile dog trainers and I'm inclined to agree unless there are serious issues. If your pup loves food, rewarding him for good behaviour will work. I promise!

Points 1-3 above are examples of what are likely to be different issues (mostly puppy related) but require different solutions.

Try and set each problem out as points so that we can attempt to tackle each one in turn. Lol! Having issues of my own right now trying to sort out Molly and new re-home .:huskyfall:

I've very quickly skimmed and scanned through all of the posts here and pretty much agreed with all that has been said, but could you (Lurio - OP) try and break down what exactly your pup is doing and when? For (any) example:

1. Pup growling when trying to put on a harness or pick him up.

2. He tries to nip me when I attempt to share a toy with him.

3. He seems to randomly bark/howl at me for no reason.

Try (for me at least :D) to put each problem down as a list (I'm a bit OCD:oops:) as some of the issues might be puppy related and some might be an attempt at dominance. If the latter, you're in for a bit of a ride.;)

Try not to put him on his back, however: this is becoming an outdated method with some high profile dog trainers and I'm inclined to agree unless there are serious issues. If your pup loves food, rewarding him for good behaviour will work. I promise!

Points 1-3 above are examples of what are likely to be different issues (mostly puppy related) but require different solutions.

Try and set each problem out as points so that we can attempt to tackle each one in turn. Lol! Having issues of my own right now trying to sort out Molly and new re-home .:huskyfall:

hah ok.

1. when i try to pet him all he wants to do is bite me and he bites hard.

2. If i dont move when he bites, he keeps biting on my shoes/socks/clothes.

3. when i try to put on the harness he nips at me.

thats about it although i feel like theres more but i cant seem to remember them. :)

hah ok.

1. when i try to pet him all he wants to do is bite me and he bites hard.

2. If i dont move when he bites, he keeps biting on my shoes/socks/clothes.

3. when i try to put on the harness he nips at me.

thats about it although i feel like theres more but i cant seem to remember them. :)

1. When you go to pet him, tell him to sit. Don't touch him. Wave a treat in his face before doing so. Make sure he sits before he gets said treat. Then stroke him.

2. He wants attention - a puppy thing. Go through the 'sit' command before humouring him in play. You might gently wrap your hand around his muzzle and say 'no'...it works for some, but not others.You might also go through 'paw' and 'lie down' so that he is getting mental stimulation.

3. Try to ignore the nips, or yelp when he does it. Tell him to 'sit', give him a treat and continue to put it on and tell him he is a good boy when the harness is on and give him another treat.:D

Okay, this is easier than it seems. I know. :( But you have to keep working on it: keep it simple and be patient! Work on one problem at a time. You'll get there. ;)

1. When you go to pet him, tell him to sit. Don't touch him. Wave a treat in his face before doing so. Make sure he sits before he gets said treat. Then stroke him.

2. He wants attention - a puppy thing. Go through the 'sit' command before humouring him in play. You might gently wrap your hand around his muzzle and say 'no'...it works for some, but not others.You might also go through 'paw' and 'lie down' so that he is getting mental stimulation.

3. Try to ignore the nips, or yelp when he does it. Tell him to 'sit', give him a treat and continue to put it on and tell him he is a good boy when the harness is on and give him another treat.:D

Okay, this is easier than it seems. I know. :( But you have to keep working on it: keep it simple and be patient! Work on one problem at a time. You'll get there. ;)

I know i have been doing the OUCH and leaving technique about 20 min and i can see that when he bites now it is a lot softer. Ok, i will keep your tips in mind as they very helpful. Thank you for taking your time to help a rookie like me.

I know i have been doing the OUCH and leaving technique about 20 min and i can see that when he bites now it is a lot softer. Ok, i will keep your tips in mind as they very helpful. Thank you for taking your time to help a rookie like me.

Lol! There are some very seasoned Husky owners here that will give you sound advice; I think, all will say, keep going! Huskies are like children and don't come with a rule book as such! It will take time for you to get to know the personality of your dog, but in the interim, keep it simple.;)

Best of luck.x

It's been 3 days that i have been doing the ouch and leaving the room and coming back in 5 min but i still see now improvement he still bites me on purpose and yesterday i did smack him on the nose and i think that has made him bite my hands even more.

It's been 3 days that i have been doing the ouch and leaving the room and coming back in 5 min but i still see now improvement he still bites me on purpose and yesterday i did smack him on the nose and i think that has made him bite my hands even more.

I am not surprised, hitting a dog is never an appropriate training method for any situation and it can make biting worse.

What are you doing to show him what he can bite? Have you got any puppy appropriate toys you can teach him to play tug with, with you so he learns to bite the toy not your hands? Food dispensing toys are also good to occupy him and to give him something to chew on when you can't supervise him.

I am not surprised, hitting a dog is never an appropriate training method for any situation and it can make biting worse.

What are you doing to show him what he can bite? Have you got any puppy appropriate toys you can teach him to play tug with, with you so he learns to bite the toy not your hands? Food dispensing toys are also good to occupy him and to give him something to chew on when you can't supervise him.

yes i do have 2 for teething and i have those puppy bones that they can chew on for hours but he just goes for my hand/legs/clothes instead