Help!

siberian_wolf

Marley and bandit had a scrap last night and have injuries! These are the worst they have ever had and they are obviously bothering them both as they are constantly licking their wounds!

My question is do I leave it? Do I wrap them in a bandage? Or do I take them to the vets?

Here is Marley's

post-11438-0-89455500-1391788623_thumb.j

Here is Bandit's

post-11438-0-72108700-1391788668_thumb.j

post-44-13586026931196_thumb.jpg

post-44-13586026933291_thumb.jpg

Keira had some thing similar on her paw and a scratch on her muzzle... I frequently cleaned it out with epsom salt in water. And her wounds healed by them selves. I told my self, if it got worse Id take her straight to the vet, as it's all well and good saving your self money but her health comes first. Luckily for me we didn't need to go.

Echo and Darwin "get it on" occasionally.

Most wounds are not serious, however cuts on the head do tend to bleed quite vociferously.

then turn out to be a pinprick.

Don't bandage them they'll only pull them off to lick at the wound.

As long as it's not still bleeding then, as Zani says bathe twice per day with salt water.

Keep an eye out for weeping.

If they are still licking at it and limping for more than a couple of days then they may have an infection.

Otherwise They'll heal up just fine.

Even the best behaved and dogs that are the absolute best buddies will scrap occasionally.

Don't worry.

Bandit doesnt seem to be so bothered by his at the moment and is passed out asleep but Marley hasn't stopped (being that his is his dew-claw I guess it will be more tender than Bandit's)

Just now Marley let out a rather loud scream. I went to look and he has bitten off the broken/split part of his dew-claw so now the "Kwick" is showing

They scarpped over bones I gave them last night. Im glad Jamie was about still as he was just about to go bed and I wouldn't have been able to split them up on my own last night, they were both locked onto each other, it was awful! Haven't had them two go into a scrap for ages but as soon as they had been apart for a bit and the bones had gone away they were fine again! I know with 3 males that these are expected as through adolescence thats all I got, but even with experience it still gets you scared and worried!

Its just the wounds that have me worried

Togo pulled his dewclaw off a while ago. It hung twisted backwards until he finally bit it off. Our boys an girls have had some nasty fights and subsequent nasty injuries. I got an ointment from the petshop for cuts that is brown thick and smells like burnt wood but stops them constantly licking and allows it to heal. I wouldn't bandage it. Last time safi had an injury and was in the vet for a blood test they cleaned it ( although I hadn't mentioned it to them) and dressed it but told us to cut it off in a couple of hours as keeping it on would cause swelling.

I know it's worrying but they will be fine honestly.

Oh and if you can remember, I read an article which told me in the event of a fight grab their back legs an lift them off the floor to separate them. I've not tried it yet as I've not remembered in the panic of the situation lol. But hopefully I won't need to again :)

Oh and if you can remember, I read an article which told me in the event of a fight grab their back legs an lift them off the floor to separate them. I've not tried it yet as I've not remembered in the panic of the situation lol. But hopefully I won't need to again :)

Yes the pulling the back lags works, however you need two people co-ordinated to pull both dogs away at the same time.

Otherwise the dog not being pulled simply re-attacks the one now restrained.

i used luke warm water with salt in to clean wounds and keep an eye on them to make sure they some look infectedxx

Yes the pulling the back lags works, however you need two people co-ordinated to pull both dogs away at the same time.

Otherwise the dog not being pulled simply re-attacks the one now restrained.

Yup, I just assumed common sense would prevail and people would realise that method takes two. If you're alone the water bowl over their heads works as well. But involves a lot of mopping after lol

i used luke warm water with salt in to clean wounds and keep an eye on them to make sure they some look infectedxx

This is what I am doing now and they are starting to look much better now :)

This is what I normally do if Jamie is around as it can save us getting bitten, if I'm on my own then I try sound diversion which usually works

don't give mine bones any more, it's the only thing they fight over, cover his claw hun if it's bothering him - just till it heals over xxxxxxx

I don't normally give them bones any more but they have had "the runs" for a few weeks and after speaking with vet he recommended giving them some meat and bones so thats what i did. Jamie tried the bandage on Bandit as he was obsessively licking and all he did was exactly what I though he would - he had it off in seconds!

Washing them with warm salt water is working at the moment so fingers crossed :)

Thank you very much everyone for your advice :)