I GOT FIRED!!!!

calvinandmommy

I just got a job at Whole Foods Market (organic health food style store). I was very excited because the store seemed pretty laid back and easy going. I had my first day of training today. Next week my husband has to have surgery next week which he found out about on Friday. I figured as laid back as the store seemed I would have no problem asking for that day off since I just started there and I would still be in training.

Well after my training today I talked to the scheduling manager about it and she got super pissed at me and was mad because she would have to change the schedule. GOD FORBID!!!!!! She got so mad at me she told me to have my husband reschedule his surgery!!! WTF!? My husband's surgery is not something you reschedule, it is being performed and paid for by the military....the military doesn't work around your schedule you work around the military's schedule. I even told her this. Wel she said fine and said she would work on the schedule. I left thinking great I just made my first enemy.

About an hour after I got home she called and fired me!!!!! :mad::banghead::angry:I am so pissed!

My husband and I are actually telling all of our friends not to shop there because they do not support the military. Oh yeah when I told people at Whole Foods that my husband is military they looked shocked and slightly annoyed and when I told the scheduling manager he is military she got even more made. I feel that Whole Foods does not support the military at all which is not okay with me at all!:mad:

I know here you have to have a certain amount of time in employment before attempting to get them for unfair dismissal. Not sure exactly how long but certainly no less than 12 wks. In fact you're not considered fully employed until after the 12 weeks.

I imagine it's similar in the US.

My daughters partner's in the military. You have my support :)

Huh. I don't think its legal for them to fire you after 1 day. Its not YOUR fault your husband had to have surgery!

But, think of it from her point of view for a sec...

I don't know how old you are, but if you're youngish (20-40s), she might have seen your question as arrogant because you JUST got the job. She might have thought that you were just looking for easy money and maybe she had a similar problem in the past where an employee 'skipped' out on a lot of days cause they were 'sick' or a relative was having 'surgery' or something.

I was reading interview tips the other day, and they said that even after you JUST get the job...you're not supposed to mention vacation days because that comes off as being arrogant and that you don't care about the work and you're already thinking of taking days off. To them, it shows lack of responsibility and lack of motivation which NOBODY wants to hire. Also, you're not supposed to talk about salary until after you get the job offer and NOT during the interview cause that also tells them you're only concerned about the money and you don't care what the company does, what they stand for, and you'll do the bare minimum to get that money.

I got held up the other day waiting for a waitress to bring me my food at a restaurant, right? My friends thought she was, well, a 'female dog' cause she was a bit nasty...but I thought it wasn't fair to judge her. Maybe somebody in the waitress' family just passed away and she was forced to come to work, maybe she's going through a rocky time in a relationship or has family problems. I realized, that day, the world does NOT revolve around my problems. I have to take other peoples' problems into account and how they can make a person seem like a complete jerk but in fact their having a really tough time.

That's just me reading between the lines, though. And I might be naive, cause my family calls me that all the time, but I don't think its fair to judge people so quick like that.

LIKEWISE, she was also in the wrong because she judged YOU too quickly. Maybe she should have taken YOUR feelings into account.

But, remember, when companies train you...they not only are paying you for it but they're also using their time and resources to train you. So I can understand her anger when she thought you were already thinking of having a day off, no matter how legitimate it may be!

Also, because you mentioned your husband was in the military, that also might have came off as arrogant and 'pushy'...like you were trying to influence her through your husband's military position. Most people don't like that, at least I don't, when people 'flaunt' or try to influence others when they mention 'so and so' is in a position of power.

...Just some food for thought.

FIRST OFF, WE WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOUR HUSBAND FOR FIGHTING FOR OUR COUNTRY. WE WATCH TOP CHEF ON BRAVO AND THEY USE WHOLE FOODS AS THEIR SHOPPING FOR THEIR CHALLENGES, WE JUST GOT A VERY SOUR STOMACH TO WHOLE FOODS AFTER HEARING YOUR STORY. WELL, APPARENTLY WHOLE FOODS DOES NOT SUPPORT THE "FAMILY VALUES" BECAUSE IF THEY DID, THEY WOULD GIVE YOU THAT DAY OFF KNOWING YOU WOULD COME BACK TO WORK WITH A BETTER MIND SET KNOWING YOUR HUSBAND IS OK. WITH AS MANY PEOPLE AT WHOLE FOODS, SOMEONE COULD OF CHANGE OUT A DAY OFF TO COVER YOUR SHIFT AND YOU COULD HAVE COVERED THEIRS AT A LATER DATE. WE OWN A SMALL BUSINESS IN VERMONT, OUR SYSTEM IS WE LET THE EMPLOYEE'S TALK AMONGST EACH OTHER FOR TIME OFF AS LONG AS THE SHIFT IS COVERED AND THEN TELL US WHO IS WORKING BECAUSE IN LIFE ONE NEVER KNOWS WHAT MAY COME UP UNEXPECTED. SORRY TO HEAR THIS ABOUT YOU.

HUSKY LOVERS IN VERMONT

Personally- whole foods is a company run by and shopped at by people who I would not generally say support the war. So I'm not surprised that they became more mad or acted weird when you told them your hubby was active military.doesn't make it right, but I can see it happening.

Well, let's see according to the National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation, Colorado is NOT a right to work state (see note at the bottom).

calvinandmommy Since you within any probationary period they have, they are still probably within their rights to terminate you. You can't complete training with your husbands upcoming surgery, therefore you aren't eligible to work.

That said, a visit to the JAG's office is probably in order since most states have a military statute which may cover you.

Two comments, if you had told them before hand ( or as soon as you found out ) about your husbands surgery and they still scheduled you for this training session then I think would have incurred some liability; if you didn't then all I can say is "Shame on you." Just reread your post and it sounds like "as soon as you found out", they may have to justify this to the state employment board.

The other comment is, if this is how they treat someone who is thinking about working for them - and until you complete training, I'd consider it "just thinking about" - is this really the type of company that you want to work for?

For those outside the US, the Right to Work laws basically cover:

1. the right of employees to decide for themselves whether or not to join or financially support a union.

2. the right of the employee to quit at any time for any reason (or no reason)

3. the right of the employer to terminate an employee for any reason - within state / federal regulations.

i would say to look into their policies. If there is a probationary period you're probably screwed. Unfortuatly, most places (even those that say they "support the military") do not. I've served 12 years and am re-enlisting next month. I've had issues with my employer as well. I am hard headed though and don't give them much room =) If Colorado is not a "right to work" state, most likely it's within their probationary terms. Which sucks.

First, Look at their policies.

Second, If you find info in their policy that show's how full of it they are, contact JAG and let them do their thing. They are VERY good.

So my husband and I were both really mad and posted about this on our facebooks and apparently somebody we know called the news groups and they want to talk to us now. We didnt want this to happen. Really I was just very mad about being fired because my husband is having surgery and mad because the woman was very rude to me for no reason. This has gotten way out of hand. CRAP!!!! Oh well guess we will just tell the news groups if they call us that it was all a misunderstanding and we don't want to talk about it. I hate facebook lol. We really don't want to take legal action or anything. I think I just want an apology from the lady for her attitude.

So my husband and I were both really mad and posted about this on our facebooks and apparently somebody we know called the news groups and they want to talk to us now. We didnt want this to happen. Really I was just very mad about being fired because my husband is having surgery and mad because the woman was very rude to me for no reason. This has gotten way out of hand. CRAP!!!! Oh well guess we will just tell the news groups if they call us that it was all a misunderstanding and we don't want to talk about it. I hate facebook lol. We really don't want to take legal action or anything. I think I just want an apology from the lady for her attitude.

Did you read my post? I explained that, in my experience and opinion, that a lot of people that seem to be nasty 'without reason' or were rude with 'no reason' actually DID have a reason...you just didn't know the reason because it didn't apply to you.

That's not good.

I think you might want to read my post up there...personally I think MOST people that come off as ***holes aren't really TRUE assholes...they're just in a rough spot in life right now and they have to take out their frustration on something or someone.

That's not good.

I think like you said she may not have wanted to deal with me incase I was going to constantly ask for time off. Which I understand I just really didnt appreciate her attitude. I think too many people jumped to the wrong judgement of each other to quick. Im over it. I just needed a rant because I was mad. Ill find another job and thankfully we are not hurting for money so I don't have to have a job.

Ugh amazing how fast stuff spirals out of control with just a few types on the keyboard and a few clicks on the mouse.

I think like you said she may not have wanted to deal with me incase I was going to constantly ask for time off. Which I understand I just really didnt appreciate her attitude. I think too many people jumped to the wrong judgement of each other to quick. Im over it. I just needed a rant because I was mad. Ill find another job and thankfully we are not hurting for money so I don't have to have a job.

Ugh amazing how fast stuff spirals out of control with just a few types on the keyboard and a few clicks on the mouse.

I know what you mean - that's why I tend to stay off of Facebook (not that I'm on it much anyways) because I know I'll say something that I shouldn't.

Oh, and maybe you should delete your/your husband's wall post 'rant'...cause as I was looking at interview tips I also read that some employers (or your current boss) can look at your facebook to check your past job history, how well you held your jobs, and what your general attitude is. And, trust me, it gets AWKWARD when you refuse your boss' friend request on Facebook..!

Duck this!! With your husband in the military it will do him NO GOOD to have you 'bad mouthing' a local business - almost no matter what the cause. Mil commands do not like to have their troops stirring up stuff that others will have to live with after they're no longer around.

Also, don't tell them it was a misunderstanding, take the old fashioned "I have no further comment." and stick with it.

And next time, if you'll excuse an old guy, think before you start putting stuff down on "paper" it's all too common around the military bases for someone's CO's wife's sister to see it and all of sudden she's "Did you see what Sgt Laine's wife had to say about my boss??" and then the proverbial excrement hits the fan ... you can express your opinion, but as a military wife *anything* you do reflects back on him.

Duck this!! With your husband in the military it will do him NO GOOD to have you 'bad mouthing' a local business - almost no matter what the cause. Mil commands do not like to have their troops stirring up stuff that others will have to live with after they're no longer around.

Also, don't tell them it was a misunderstanding, take the old fashioned "I have no further comment." and stick with it.

And next time, if you'll excuse an old guy, think before you start putting stuff down on "paper" it's all too common around the military bases for someone's CO's wife's sister to see it and all of sudden she's "Did you see what Sgt Laine's wife had to say about my boss??" and then the proverbial excrement hits the fan ... you can express your opinion, but as a military wife *anything* you do reflects back on him.

That is my main reason I dont want this to go to the news is because my hsuband. We both made the mistake of typing before thinking so now we have to deal with it before he gets in trouble. And who knows the news group may not even call us. *fingers crossed*. I def dont want to be "that" wife at a base. I take pride in the fact that I am not the kind of wife that gets my husband in trouble.

Were you military by chance Al?

That is my main reason I dont want this to go to the news is because my hsuband. We both made the mistake of typing before thinking so now we have to deal with it before he gets in trouble. And who knows the news group may not even call us. *fingers crossed*. I def dont want to be "that" wife at a base. I take pride in the fact that I am not the kind of wife that gets my husband in trouble.

Were you military by chance Al?

10 years worth of the Army, was going to make a career of it and then we had the Viet Nam stand-down when people were released right and left.

Oh cool. On my dads side of the family my grandfather was a marine, uncle and aunt were Navy, my cousin is Army now, Dad was Air Force, and my moms side my grandfather was Army then Air Force and was in Vietnam, Uncle was Army, my cousin married Air Force, and my brother is Army and I married Air Force. Lol needless to say the military is in my blood. I was going to enlist myself but mom convinced me to try college then I was going to become an officer but I messed up my knee.