Going to the vet

Karren

Lexy has to have her blood test today - she has an underactive thyroid and will always need to take a tablet daily - she is so scared that the vet gives her a pre med to take blood which I am not very keen on. She has to have a blood test every so often and does not like it. She started being very scared at the vet and now is terrified.

I do the staying calm thing - really do - and the praising her when she manages to come out of the corner of the room (even if it is only for a second).

Husband coming with me today - though I think he feels too sorry for her but I can't take her on my own anymore as I think I will have to carry her in this time!!!:(

Any ideas?

Have been trying all the above through the last year. As soon as we get to the drive to the vets she freaks.

Well - we went yesterday and as soon as she heard vets (very deep - hadn't noticed before) voice she crawled under my chair in waiting room and pretended she wasn't there.

We were called in and she went and sat on scales - but as soon as vet came over to read weight, she went and hid in corner - yep we saw her!

Vet decided after a few checke that she looked in good health - she has lost 3 kg and is now 27 kg - was 33 at poorliest - and looking the picture of health. All she needed was yearly jabs and OK to go - he said we will delay blood test so that she doesn't hate him and reminded me that she had cried - she REALLY cried one time.

So - all in all a good visit to vets and he gave her a treat - he hadn't ever before so expect she loves him now!!!

PHEW!

Make sure to stay calm and not feel anxious or nervous yourself. She'll pick up on that. And, I'm not sure if you're doing this but you didn't mention you weren't, but are you comforting her when she feels scared? That can encourage the fear and make the behaviour worse...