Nearing the end of my rope

Lurio

Okay i don't know how much more i can take from my new puppy (11 weeks/old).

He is destructive and only wants to bite me i have tried everything to teach him bite inhibition but his bite has gotten worse. He just bit me right now and it was one of the hardest bites and the most pain i have ever had and he is only a puppy. What do you guys think i can do, please i dont think i can take much more of this.

heres the pic of the bite.

post-6885-13586027162465_thumb.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's not a very bad scratch - Kiska's given me worse and I would not consider her to have any biting problem what-so-ever. To be a bit technical, that's a level 2 (of 6) on the dog-bite-scale. He has sharp little puppy teeth, even the slightest contact will cause marks like that. Unfortunately, puppies bite. It's something they grow out of (unless it's encouraged) and for now all you can do is follow the advice you were given in your other thread. Just make sure you are very strict - if he bites you too hard give him a stern "NO" or "AH-AH" and shut him away for a couple of minutes. Try not to give him opportunities to bite - don't play rough with him or tease him etc and keep your hands away from his mouth.

That's not a very bad scratch - Kiska's given me worse and I would not consider her to have any biting problem what-so-ever. To be a bit technical, that's a level 2 (of 6) on the dog-bite-scale. He has sharp little puppy teeth, even the slightest contact will cause marks like that. Unfortunately, puppies bite. It's something they grow out of (unless it's encouraged) and for now all you can do is follow the advice you were given in your other thread. Just make sure you are very strict - if he bites you too hard give him a stern "NO" or "AH-AH" and shut him away for a couple of minutes. Try not to give him opportunities to bite - don't play rough with him or tease him etc and keep your hands away from his mouth.

i have tried all of that and his bite has not improved in fact has gotten a little harder

If he's destructive, set up a puppy pen or restricted area where there is nothing he can destroy aside from whatever to you give him. Supervision and containment are two of the most crucial elements of raising a puppy IMO.

Have you been playing with him and teaching him what he CAN bite? That bite barely looks like a scratch to me, seems like pretty normal puppy stuff to me. Puppies need to be taught what they can and can't do, when you bring him out play with him so he learns how he can interact with you without biting your skin.

I'd like to make a comment on this if I may - I have an 11 week old pup and believe me I am going through what you are facing at the minute. Yes there are times when you think he/she will never get out of it or they don't listen. You must remember they are babies, testing your patience, trying things new and like children it takes time before they realise they are doing wrong. A simple NO when they bite either by accident or on purpose is not going to stop the problem. If it was this easy then most dog's would not be in shelter's.

Key Things:

1. Always be consistent - any bite that is uncomfortable is not accepted

2. Offer toys as biting alternatives (remember they are teething and it hurt's)

3. It will get better

Keep with it, never let them dominate and help them out as best you can - Kong (stuffed with treats), keep them occupied, give them tough toy's

I believe it will get better for me and it will for you!!!

Huskies rule!!!

Changes doesn't happen overnight...especially for huskies. You have to stick with it. I haven't read the other thread but I'm going to assume people gave the advice of always have a toy handy to chew on(instead of you!), stop play immediately if he does try to bite on you and if he's destructive, crate training would help. There's no reason to let go of the rope!:P There's LOTS of people that have really good advice to share. This is a great site and many of us have been through what you have(and will go through) been through.

I'd like to make a comment on this if I may - I have an 11 week old pup and believe me I am going through what you are facing at the minute. Yes there are times when you think he/she will never get out of it or they don't listen. You must remember they are babies, testing your patience, trying things new and like children it takes time before they realise they are doing wrong. A simple NO when they bite either by accident or on purpose is not going to stop the problem. If it was this easy then most dog's would not be in shelter's.

Key Things:

1. Always be consistent - any bite that is uncomfortable is not accepted

2. Offer toys as biting alternatives (remember they are teething and it hurt's)

3. It will get better

Keep with it, never let them dominate and help them out as best you can - Kong (stuffed with treats), keep them occupied, give them tough toy's

I believe it will get better for me and it will for you!!!

Huskies rule!!!

wow i feel a lot better when it comes from a fellow puppy owner idk i have 2 chewing toys a squeaky toy and a tennis ball but he loves my hand and i am trying different i guess time cures everything right?

Changes doesn't happen overnight...especially for huskies. You have to stick with it. I haven't read the other thread but I'm going to assume people gave the advice of always have a toy handy to chew on(instead of you!), stop play immediately if he does try to bite on you and if he's destructive, crate training would help. There's no reason to let go of the rope!:P There's LOTS of people that have really good advice to share. This is a great site and many of us have been through what you have(and will go through) been through.

i know know its hard thats why everyone loves huskies i knew he was going to be stubborn but i am starting to read his bites as aggresion towards me or idk

hahah i wont i wont i was just in the heat of the moment because he had just bit me and i know thats why this site is like my holy teacher ahha

If he's destructive, set up a puppy pen or restricted area where there is nothing he can destroy aside from whatever to you give him. Supervision and containment are two of the most crucial elements of raising a puppy IMO.

Have you been playing with him and teaching him what he CAN bite? That bite barely looks like a scratch to me, seems like pretty normal puppy stuff to me. Puppies need to be taught what they can and can't do, when you bring him out play with him so he learns how he can interact with you without biting your skin.

i do i have him in a (in meters) 5mX2m area roughly but when i want to play with him and take him to my room he bites everything and i try nudging him touching to get his attention but i need to do it fast because if he wrecks anything ...my parents wouldn't have any of it

Get a Kong - stuff it with treats - if you get the right filling i.e. natural yoghurt, jam, treats, peanut butter (mine hates this???) and freeze it, they will be on it for hour's, it helps their teeth as it's cool and will try forever to get the filling out.

I'm off to buy more kongs - keep them in the freezer!!! :)

wow i feel a lot better when it comes from a fellow puppy owner idk i have 2 chewing toys a squeaky toy and a tennis ball but he loves my hand and i am trying different i guess time cures everything right?

Time itself doesn't cure anything IMO - the biting could get worse and more habitual if you don't teach him now what behaviour is appropriate (i.e. what to bite and what not to bite). Raising a puppy is about setting them up for success and letting them know what we want from them. Puppies can't outsmart us if we have a good plan in place so we manage them appropriately! :)

i do i have him in a (in meters) 5mX2m area roughly but when i want to play with him and take him to my room he bites everything and i try nudging him touching to get his attention but i need to do it fast because if he wrecks anything ...my parents wouldn't have any of it

Ok so before you take him out of his area have a plan in your head as to what you are going to do with him. Run a training session so he learns how to play with you rather than bite you. If he goes off to do something "naughty" call him back to you and reward him by playing a game of tug or fetch with him. Getting his attention is fine but you need to reward him for responding to you.

You're setting your puppy up to fail. He's 11 wks old, you've had him 3 weeks at best and you're expecting far too much from him at this point

There is always cause and effect. You have to look at yourself and ask is there something I'm doing I can change. When he nips do the yelp, fold your arms go still and turn your face away if he still jumps on you get up and walk away when he's calm call him to you As asked, when you play are you getting him excited? Is he getting enough attention? Because if he isnt he'll try to gain it negatively if hes not getting it positively. If you're stressed he'll feed off your anxiety and play up.

Go back to basics. When you play make training the play time. ( but only

In small doses, don't make it boring) do sit, down, wait, come instead of any excitable games and when you praise do it calmly. When you come home after him being alone ignore him until he's calm. Everything you do with him needs to be in a calm manner.

If he has something he shouldn't. Swap that thing for a toy using 'leave' or 'mine' when taking it so you're teaching what he's allowed and what not.

Patience and firmness is the key. You have to remove anything you think he could damage and when left alone keep him crated.

Use common sense. I get the impression despite you having researched the breed as you said you had. The reality is far different from the dream. You're the responsible one. The parent and teacher, it's up to you to get your puppy where you want him to be.

You're setting your puppy up to fail. He's 11 wks old, you've had him 3 weeks at best and you're expecting far too much from him at this point

There is always cause and effect. You have to look at yourself and ask is there something I'm doing I can change. When he nips do the yelp, fold your arms go still and turn your face away if he still jumps on you get up and walk away when he's calm call him to you As asked, when you play are you getting him excited? Is he getting enough attention? Because if he isnt he'll try to gain it negatively if hes not getting it positively. If you're stressed he'll feed off your anxiety and play up.

Go back to basics. When you play make training the play time. ( but only

In small doses, don't make it boring) do sit, down, wait, come instead of any excitable games and when you praise do it calmly. When you come home after him being alone ignore him until he's calm. Everything you do with him needs to be in a calm manner.

If he has something he shouldn't. Swap that thing for a toy using 'leave' or 'mine' when taking it so you're teaching what he's allowed and what not.

Patience and firmness is the key. You have to remove anything you think he could damage and when left alone keep him crated.

Use common sense. I get the impression despite you having researched the breed as you said you had. The reality is far different from the dream. You're the responsible one. The parent and teacher, it's up to you to get your puppy where you want him to be.

1 week today :S

I'll give that a go. :D

I know i know i need to give him more time.

1 week today :S

I'll give that a go. :D

I know i know i need to give him more time.

Yep. More time, like the next 15 yrs lol. Even when he's trained it'll have to be maintained. He will always push boundaries and get up to mischief at any age. That's the beauty of the breed and you will always be the one guiding and enforcing the do's an don'ts

If it helps, imagine he's a baby that's just learned to crawl and wants to get everywhere and put everything in its mouth. Use the same patience understanding and firmness with your puppy you'd use with the baby

Yep. More time, like the next 15 yrs lol. Even when he's trained it'll have to be maintained. He will always push boundaries and get up to mischief at any age. That's the beauty of the breed and you will always be the one guiding and enforcing the do's an don'ts

If it helps, imagine he's a baby that's just learned to crawl and wants to get everywhere and put everything in its mouth. Use the same patience understanding and firmness with your puppy you'd use with the baby

ok :D

ok :D

Oh an slightly off topic, I have a small scar about a half inch long in the palm of my hand from when Togo was young and in playing his sharp little puppy teeth caught me. There was no intention he was just plain giddy. People will think I'm bizarre but I actually treasure it because when he's gone I'll still have that reminder of when he was a puppy.

Oh an slightly off topic, I have a small scar about a half inch long in the palm of my hand from when Togo was young and in playing his sharp little puppy teeth caught me. There was no intention he was just plain giddy. People will think I'm bizarre but I actually treasure it because when he's gone I'll still have that reminder of when he was a puppy.

omg i took him to my room today and i was on the computer and he was playing with his toy he came to my bed starting biting on the comforter i told him to stop he wouldnt i pulled him off then he started biting on my pants and then i had it so i smacked him on the jaw

omg i took him to my room today and i was on the computer and he was playing with his toy he came to my bed starting biting on the comforter i told him to stop he wouldnt i pulled him off then he started biting on my pants and then i had it so i smacked him on the jaw

Smacking really won't help. Honestly you just need to give him more time. He is a 'baby' and it can take months for them to learn new things!

Instead of smacking, try putting him in a time out. Each time he bites harder than you are willing to except as play put him in a different room and leave him there for 2 mins. Trust me he won't like it! If he does it again put him out for 3 mins etc. He will quickly learn that biting to hard means no play or attention and he should calm down. It will take time and perseverance on your part but it will be worth it in the long run!

Smacking really won't help. Honestly you just need to give him more time. He is a 'baby' and it can take months for them to learn new things!

Instead of smacking, try putting him in a time out. Each time he bites harder than you are willing to except as play put him in a different room and leave him there for 2 mins. Trust me he won't like it! If he does it again put him out for 3 mins etc. He will quickly learn that biting to hard means no play or attention and he should calm down. It will take time and perseverance on your part but it will be worth it in the long run!

yeah that is what i am going and now i just brought him back from the time out and he was biting the couch and he wont let go.

yeah that is what i am going and now i just brought him back from the time out and he was biting the couch and he wont let go.

To him that's a game! So one of the training commands you need to start training on is 'drop it' or 'leave it' (however you want to word it) that way when he has something you don't want him to have you don't start a game of tug of war! It really is all about training and patience, but you'll get there! :)

This is why patience and out stubborning them is so important when it comes to raising a puppy regardless of breed. To this day Kiana STILL bites furniture when she gets overly bored or excited a simple uh uh is enough to get her back under control followed by something like training or play to reward her stopping that behavior but it's taken me this long just to get it that far. To be honest you can't expect a baby at this stage with how short a time you've had him to understand much of anything. All the things I've taught Kiana has taken weeks to get into her head with repetition and patience. What training have you started and how long do you go for? How many times a day do you do it? To be honest it really sounds like that is one very bored puppy. You need to think ahead as well to what you are planning on doing when the pup becomes a teenager and REALLY starts to push boundaries. Right now he's in his "puppy license" stage where adult dogs usually let them get away with certain things until they are a few months older and need to get put in their place for the good of the pack. Without the luxury of another dog to reign in the pups behavior you're going to have to step it up a notch and realize this is not something controllable within a couple days.

Here's a suggestion: Do three training sessions a day depending on the pups attention span roughly 10-15mins should do. Start with something simple like sit. ALWAYS end the training on a positive note. If the pup doesn't get it right away don't lose patience just try again next training session. When your pup learns sit do stay. May take a week or so to learn especially with the pup attention span but work with it.

When you get those two down pact use those commands when the pup is misbehaving. Most will realize oh wait that word means I get a treat so I should do it. See if this helps to curb that unending energy.

From sit and stay I would teach paw and other paw. That one is fun and from my experience the dogs really enjoy it because they get physical contact with you and a treat. Double the awesomeness for them.

The most important thing is to take a step back when they have pushed your patience and just walk away. You can't expect so much out of a mind that does not understand what you want. You've got to take it day by day and build up a structured life that the pup can depend on. Before you know it he'll be sitting right before a training session just waiting to see what he can learn next to get those yummy treats or extra love.

Try to remember this will pass when he is a year old you'll wonder why you were so impatient with him LOL I know I still do with Kiana; even if she is a little tart still at times :P Don't forget we are always here to for a good long vent most of us have been there and I don't know about anyone else but I relish reliving the hell puppy stage through someone else's eyes lol never want to do it again myself though :rolleyes:

This is why patience and out stubborning them is so important when it comes to raising a puppy regardless of breed. To this day Kiana STILL bites furniture when she gets overly bored or excited a simple uh uh is enough to get her back under control followed by something like training or play to reward her stopping that behavior but it's taken me this long just to get it that far. To be honest you can't expect a baby at this stage with how short a time you've had him to understand much of anything. All the things I've taught Kiana has taken weeks to get into her head with repetition and patience. What training have you started and how long do you go for? How many times a day do you do it? To be honest it really sounds like that is one very bored puppy. You need to think ahead as well to what you are planning on doing when the pup becomes a teenager and REALLY starts to push boundaries. Right now he's in his "puppy license" stage where adult dogs usually let them get away with certain things until they are a few months older and need to get put in their place for the good of the pack. Without the luxury of another dog to reign in the pups behavior you're going to have to step it up a notch and realize this is not something controllable within a couple days.

Here's a suggestion: Do three training sessions a day depending on the pups attention span roughly 10-15mins should do. Start with something simple like sit. ALWAYS end the training on a positive note. If the pup doesn't get it right away don't lose patience just try again next training session. When your pup learns sit do stay. May take a week or so to learn especially with the pup attention span but work with it.

When you get those two down pact use those commands when the pup is misbehaving. Most will realize oh wait that word means I get a treat so I should do it. See if this helps to curb that unending energy.

From sit and stay I would teach paw and other paw. That one is fun and from my experience the dogs really enjoy it because they get physical contact with you and a treat. Double the awesomeness for them.

The most important thing is to take a step back when they have pushed your patience and just walk away. You can't expect so much out of a mind that does not understand what you want. You've got to take it day by day and build up a structured life that the pup can depend on. Before you know it he'll be sitting right before a training session just waiting to see what he can learn next to get those yummy treats or extra love.

Try to remember this will pass when he is a year old you'll wonder why you were so impatient with him LOL I know I still do with Kiana; even if she is a little tart still at times :P Don't forget we are always here to for a good long vent most of us have been there and I don't know about anyone else but I relish reliving the hell puppy stage through someone else's eyes lol never want to do it again myself though :rolleyes:

he has gotten sit pretty well but i cant teach him stand idk i cant find a way to lure him into it and he doesnt remember it either and he only does sit 70% of the time. As for the boredom heres my typical school day Mon-Fri. Get up at 6 30.....play until 6 50 feed and then put him in his pen. I get back at 1 30 sometimes 2 play for 30 minutes feed him then back to the pen. At about 4 or 5 after i have rested and done with homework i play with him in my room and just let him hang out while im on computer/xbox and occasionally throw a ball for him. At about 7 i take him for a walk in my neighboorhood and we dont come back until 9. Most of that is not walking but i just let him free in the park where he stays at about a 30 feet radius any l0nger than that and he blazes to my feet. Then feed again and its off to sleep.