Nearing the end of my rope

Lurio

he has gotten sit pretty well but i cant teach him stand idk i cant find a way to lure him into it and he doesnt remember it either and he only does sit 70% of the time.

This is a great start given the time you've had him just take each day at a time and he'll get sit down pact :) As for stay that one is a little tricky but you can do it :D Here's what I did. Get a sit. Follow that with the word stay and move back just one or two steps. If the pup moves to follow give a firm uh uh. If the butt gets off the floor say uh uh and move back to a sit. When the pup stays in the sit when you move back a couple steps reward. This took Kiana couple weeks to get so it's not overnight LOL. As the sit and stay is put together in the pups mind and he does it with only a couple steps back you can increase time and the amount of space. It'll also help with his focus to as he won't be released from the stay until you say so when you get it to the point he will stay.

One thing I didn't see in your schedule though is the time allotted for training? What is that set up like right now?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a great start given the time you've had him just take each day at a time and he'll get sit down pact :) As for stay that one is a little tricky but you can do it :D Here's what I did. Get a sit. Follow that with the word stay and move back just one or two steps. If the pup moves to follow give a firm uh uh. If the butt gets off the floor say uh uh and move back to a sit. When the pup stays in the sit when you move back a couple steps reward. This took Kiana couple weeks to get so it's not overnight LOL. As the sit and stay is put together in the pups mind and he does it with only a couple steps back you can increase time and the amount of space. It'll also help with his focus to as he won't be released from the stay until you say so when you get it to the point he will stay.

One thing I didn't see in your schedule though is the time allotted for training? What is that set up like right now?

Meeka is 8 weeks old and she bites EVERYTHING! Hands, feet, face, arms, legs. You can't take it personally, they are just exploring everything with their mouth! My husband is a professional photographer and she saw his $2,000 lense as something new and within her reach so of course its going in her mouth! It's not her fault, It's our fault as her owners that we allowed that to be within her reach. No matter what your new puppy gets into please try to remember they are still learning what is a toy and what isn't. When Meeka bites me I saw OW and scowl and walk away. Sometimes she will act like she will care, other times she will just bite my husband :) Good Luck :)

Meeka is 8 weeks old and she bites EVERYTHING! Hands, feet, face, arms, legs. You can't take it personally, they are just exploring everything with their mouth! My husband is a professional photographer and she saw his $2,000 lense as something new and within her reach so of course its going in her mouth! It's not her fault, It's our fault as her owners that we allowed that to be within her reach. No matter what your new puppy gets into please try to remember they are still learning what is a toy and what isn't. When Meeka bites me I saw OW and scowl and walk away. Sometimes she will act like she will care, other times she will just bite my husband :) Good Luck :)

yeah you are right you must be very mature well i am only a 16 year old so yo can imagine hahaahha no i would never reach the end of the rope with this guy ive fallen in love with him as soon as he is potty trained hes sleeping with me

beautiful puppy btw

I hate to hear no matter what a puppy or dog does that someone is hitting them. Mine are testing us daily by peeing in the house, and believe me, they are house broken, but they are still getting used to their new little sister and letting us know that they are all still vying for top dog position. They are all rescues, and have no doubt been beaten before, especially for in house mistakes. Jack leaks. Either he drools or when he's sleeping he leaks pee. Can you imagine if I slapped him every time I noticed he leaked, no matter where it was. Some things can't be changed, but chewing on a comforter or pants is easy, don't let him on there, or exchange what is not okay with something that is okay. Give him some undivided attention or if you can't, then put him in a crate. OR...reassess if this is the right time to have a puppy in your life. :banghead:

he has gotten sit pretty well but i cant teach him stand idk i cant find a way to lure him into it and he doesnt remember it either and he only does sit 70% of the time. As for the boredom heres my typical school day Mon-Fri. Get up at 6 30.....play until 6 50 feed and then put him in his pen. I get back at 1 30 sometimes 2 play for 30 minutes feed him then back to the pen. At about 4 or 5 after i have rested and done with homework i play with him in my room and just let him hang out while im on computer/xbox and occasionally throw a ball for him. At about 7 i take him for a walk in my neighboorhood and we dont come back until 9. Most of that is not walking but i just let him free in the park where he stays at about a 30 feet radius any l0nger than that and he blazes to my feet. Then feed again and its off to sleep.

I have a son who's gonna be 15 this year and there's no way he'd be as dedicated and committed to anything other than mw3 on the ps3. You are clearly trying your hardest here to do the best you can. Are your family supporting you and helping you train and care for your pup?

As much as we all love our dogs, there are times when we feel like banging our head against a brick wall. We all need a little help from time to time. Please don't take offense as none was intended, just being a typical over anxious mother here! Lol x

I have a son who's gonna be 15 this year and there's no way he'd be as dedicated and committed to anything other than mw3 on the ps3. You are clearly trying your hardest here to do the best you can. Are your family supporting you and helping you train and care for your pup?

As much as we all love our dogs, there are times when we feel like banging our head against a brick wall. We all need a little help from time to time. Please don't take offense as none was intended, just being a typical over anxious mother here! Lol x

haha i am into mw3 and xbox but my puppy comes first and i havent touched it in a week because of my puppy and i dont really mind. Yes my mom has helped me with cleaning up and my dad has helped me more with the behaviour side. I am committed to my pup but i feel like all the work im putting in is not being rewarded and thats whats getting me down

You need to relax. Puppies are not a walk in the park, especially Husky puppies. If you're resorting to smacking your 11 week old puppy maybe it's just too much for you to handle. I know it's frustrating I've raised 3 different puppies each from different stages and each with their own collection of Husky issues. Mishka tore my arms UP the first few days. With consistent reinforcement of gentle mouthing and absolutely no tolerance for biting she stopped within 2 weeks. This is a puppy you will not get results overnight. Please, take the advice we have given you and implement it for more than 24 hours.

Lurio Take a look at my hand here and tell me if your puppy bites as well as my full grown does? I'm just lucky that with her first bite she got my watchband rather than my wrist.

I have a 2 x 4 x 3' that I use to prop the door shut and it was within arms reach of me. Think I didn't feel like applying it? Damn right I did (feel like it that is)! But she's new to the house, I think she's been an only outdoors dog, so having two others around and being inside and then having me reach down to grab her collar while she was interested in food was more than she could handle - and truth be told, I know better than that.

<< ducking >> Okay, I know you're just a kid and sometimes the feelings run away with the thoughts (( that's not just kids, btw )) but while he's so young and really looking to you for guidance on how to behave, going physical on him is NOT going to help.

I realize that was more than just "rather condescending" but take it for what it's worth. He's worth it!!

I offer lots of toys as I am sure many have stated. I also have bones for them. I also will welp like a dog very high something they understand from their other litter mates. That does the trick often but if it gets too bad I have bit a dog (no I didn't break skin just hard enough to say NO) once I bit my dog Mya who liked to play hard she NEVER bit me again as she got the message loud and clear. Some think thats wrong and I might get some shame on me but its what I did and was taught as a last resort in my training courses and it worked. I hope you get it figured out, I hope you don't give up on your puppy that would be a sad start for him.

Lurio Take a look at my hand here and tell me if your puppy bites as well as my full grown does? I'm just lucky that with her first bite she got my watchband rather than my wrist.

I have a 2 x 4 x 3' that I use to prop the door shut and it was within arms reach of me. Think I didn't feel like applying it? Damn right I did (feel like it that is)! But she's new to the house, I think she's been an only outdoors dog, so having two others around and being inside and then having me reach down to grab her collar while she was interested in food was more than she could handle - and truth be told, I know better than that.

<< ducking >> Okay, I know you're just a kid and sometimes the feelings run away with the thoughts (( that's not just kids, btw )) but while he's so young and really looking to you for guidance on how to behave, going physical on him is NOT going to help.

I realize that was more than just "rather condescending" but take it for what it's worth. He's worth it!!

its not the actual bite that bothers me its the constant biting everything in sight and i have tried different bite inhibition methods but still no improvement and thats whats getting me down.

It can be frustrating at times but the advice you've been given is good and eventually it will become less and less frequent. Just keep going with the tips you've been given and be aware that it will take a fair bit longer than one or two weeks. With my babies it took about a month to really notice a change, and even then it wasn't perfect!

I've read through the advice given and there is some fantastic advice on here for you. We have all been there and the only things I can say is just take all the advice take you're time and given the husky a chance.

Well done to you for not giving up!

Lots of treats for good behaviour, lots of love and attention.

We have 2 huskies and they are both very demanding dogs. Our first chewed everything, including the electric socket from the wall but we got there in the end by showing him what he can and can not chew.

Our second huskies has been with us for 6 months at 2 she loves to chew we just make sure she has plenty that she knows she can chew.

Hide chews are good to keep them entertained for a few minutes and calm them down, more substantial bones to chew are better for the times when they are on their own.

Only thing I would say is never let a husky off the lead, they will come back at first but then one day they won't. We never let either of our off the lead unless they are in an enclosed area. We used to let Shadow off when he was younger but then he stopped coming back so we stopped letting him off the lead as we did not want to see him get injured so we have an extendable lead for both of them. A husky can run for miles and just keep going so when they decide to go for a run there's a good chance that they will get injured.

Huskies are one of the most intelligent breeds of dogs they will learn everything you teach them they just have a mind of their own so will only do what they want to.

Don't give up! Keep going and one day you're efforts will be rewarded!

You're doing fantastic!

haha i am into mw3 and xbox but my puppy comes first and i havent touched it in a week because of my puppy and i dont really mind. Yes my mom has helped me with cleaning up and my dad has helped me more with the behaviour side. I am committed to my pup but i feel like all the work im putting in is not being rewarded and thats whats getting me down

That's right, having a puppy SUCKS. That's all I can say, it's true, especially for a husky puppy. Potty training, bite inhibition etc. Everything's a nightmare with a puppy, they need to be taught everything, they can be extremely stupid, they swallow everything and so on. You have to invest lots of time in training and generally, in making life with them bearable.

But you'll get your rewards when one day you'll realize that all of your efforts paid off and you have a well behaved dog. It might take a long time, but guaranteed there will be a day when you will think that it was all worth it.

We've all been there - a week after we had gotten ours (as a puppy), I already wanted to return him because he was such a pain! But with patience and consistency, we sorted out the issues he was having. And it's really rewarding to see that after a lot of hard work, he is now well behaved. It may not seem that your efforts are leading anywhere right now, but if you keep it up, he will improve. Everybody offered great advice - if you follow it and are consistent with it you will see results, perhaps not as soon as you'd like to, but you'll get there at some point.

I can see where your frustration is comming from. In the beginning i was very much frustrated and emotional. I got him at 10 weeks from the breeder.

He would pee and poop inside, bite everything, but after a few days and some deep thought it was more my fault, as he's still a puppy and barely knew much.

After i calmed down and relaxed he was much better, when he bit too hard, i go "ouch" stand up stop play and turn my back to him. He'd keep following but would give up and end up just laying down. His bite was never that hard, maybe because i got him at 10 weeks instead of 8 so he learned a bit more from his mother and littermates. His teeth are sharp but most of the scratching and damage comes from trying to get your hand out. after about a week and a half, he controlled his bite quite good, though he'd still mouth you once in a while. It'd also be good to teach him "leave it" like others have stated. i dont know how i came about getting Panda to leave it, but everytime he has something in his mouth and he drops it i give him a treat, and he's fairly good at that for the most part. Panda also loves to go after slippers and jump onto the Sofa. Just be patient and assume the alpha role. When he sees you as one he will definately jus leave it, if i have my slippers laying on the ground hed go and bite and throw it around, but as soon as i slip my feet in he leaves it alone, goes along with the sofa as well but that took more work. I'm still fairly new to the whole dog thing as well, but this site offers a lot of information and a lot of people here can offer good advice and help. Just Relax, Be consistent and be Patient.

Hi Lurio, just read your post about the quilt. Next time he gets hold of something an you want him to let go try using a diversion tactic. Take a squeaky toy, or any toy he really likes and entice him away from where you don't want him to be. Trying to pull him off is a game in his mind. A bit like tug

Do you have a kong? If not get one. When you're doing something else give him that to play with whilst you're attention isn't fully on him. But don't take advantage and expect hours an hours of him amusing himself. You've got half an hour tops so whatever you were doing you'll have to stop an give him your full attention. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just read this post – how is he doing? I can give you what I experienced, which sounds very similar what you’re going through.

I got Nikko at about 9 weeks old. At first, he really didn’t bite too much but that changed very quickly. All of a sudden I could not pet him without him going for my hand, leg, clothes or whatever he could get his little jaws on! I felt like instead of a cute puppy I was living with a shark. I tried everything, saying NO real loud, EH-EH, etc. I would replace my hand with his toys, I would get up and walk away, and he would follow me and continue biting my leg and clothes. I tried putting my thumb in his mouth pressing on his soft pallet…nothing seemed to work. He is 4 ½ months now and he still bites, but not as much and not as hard as before. Also, he lost most of his puppy teeth, and the adult teeth are not nearly as sharp. Also, he does have TONS of toys, I tried the kong, and he really didn’t care for it. He prefers the dental sticks or nyla-bones.

It WILL get better, just hang in there!

Also – Niiko will grab whatever he can get to, and he knows when he has something that he shouldn’t! He will run around the house and Ill have to chase after him. I am always finding him jumping up on the counter and getting the dish rag and running around with it in his mouth. I usually have to corner him and hold him down to pry it out of his mouth or give him boiled chicken – that always gets his attention!

When Echo used to bite us we would just say "Ow!" really loud. If she thought we were kidding, we would gently pin her, until she calmed down. I personally did this any time she put her teeth on me, because I didn't want to encourage biting at all. She VERY quickly got the message, and even now, NEVER bites me when we play, no matter how excited she gets. Training time is extremely important. When we first got Echo, we were both working full-time jobs. We crate trained her from day one, but we were lucky as the breeder had already been working on crating her before we got her. I think the crate is one of the best training tools in the world, and it really helped with her training and behavior. We never yelled at her, or scolded her, as she is just a dog, and she is pushing us out of boredom. If she was being naughty, all we had to say was crate-up, and she would either change her tune, or we would get up from our seats. If we got up, she knew we were serious, and she would go lay down in her room. We don't have to crate her anymore. We haven't used her crate in months, she just lays on her bed and looks out the window while we are at work now. She is rarely home alone for more than 4 hours, so that is a plus.

I think, especially after only having your puppy for a week, your mentality is all wrong. Not trying to be rude, but I think that you are being overly sensitive to your puppy's biting and other behaviors. I don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but one thing you can do is soak a wash cloth in water, and roll it up and stick it in the freezer. When your puppy starts biting you (as others have said, it can be from teething, which really hurts!) grab one of those wash cloths from the freezer and give it to him. Always say "OW!" really loud as to startle him when he bites you, but NEVER hit him. They think that you are playing if you "smack" them, and it will get them more wound up and they will bite harder.

I spent a ton of time training Echo in the first few weeks that we had her. We only used positive reinforcement with her, and that is all we have ever needed. They are a special kind of breed, and they learn differently. They are more independent, and act out when they aren't challenged or exercised properly. You will find a balance with your puppy the more you spend time with him, and the more you bond. You will soon be over this stage (which is SO brief!) and you will move on to the next challenge that you will also overcome! The first year is filled with so many challenges, and we are all here to help you can give you the best advice possible. When I first got Echo, I asked a billion questions! Don't give up hope. Focus on the biting for now, and the simple commands, and work from there. Raising a puppy is all about time and patience!!! *sending husky hugs*

I would also recommend obedience training. I signed Nikko up and we have been going every week for the past 8 weeks. He and I have learned a great deal from these classes.

I’ll have to try the washcloth thing, I never thought of that. I just use toys and a frozen kong. His biting has been ongoing for the last 2 months, although I notice it getting better and less often. I figure when he is done teething it should stop…hopefully!

Different techniques work for different dogs, so I would try every way you can think of (without hurting your pup, of course!)

Depending on your approach, you could also try an alpha roll - we used it with our husky just once (my husband when he first adopted her the first, and last, time she bit him too hard) when she was about 8 weeks old. She has never since had any problems with playing too rough or biting us and she is definitely not aggressive at all with humans or other dogs. I know it's controversial, but if you read through the literature and decide you feel comfortable with it, it may work for you.

Everyone here has already given you some good advice in a nice and calm matter, I think I'll try a slightly difference approach.

You need to change your attitude, NOW. You have a baby husky, 11 weeks old is so young, and thinking that you are going to have all your problems solved with a week of having him is just ridiculous. You need to get some patience, get a lot of it. The puppy is not being dominant, its not being aggressive, he is being a baby. The dominance stage doesn't even start until 16 weeks old. Huskies are a rowdy breed to begin with.

Don't hit the puppy, don't do alpha rolls, don't try and and establish your dominance. I've made the same mistake with my puppy, assuming puppy play was dominance, it was not. The situation between us got better when I realized I was making the mistakes and learned some more patience. You are in for a lot of trouble if you think your 11 week old puppy should be trained and well behaved (and yes, biting counts as being trained). Mine is 8 months old and still nippy, and I work on it every day with her. Obidence training is a great idea, but remember your puppy is a BABY, pick one method and stick with it, and don't expect an overnight change.

Just take a step back and calm down, you've not had him very long and he'll still be unsure of the boundaries. Patience is the best thing for it. I've also got a young puppy who's 12 weeks old who likes to test the waters and see what he can get away with, just be patient he's only a baby, he doesn't know right from wrong. If you put the time in and follow a lot of the guidelines that other forum members have put forward to you I'm sure he'll turn out to be a great dog in the long run. Most importantly, read the stickies, there's a lot of good informative threads on this board that have helped me with my puppy, I'm sure it will help you too.