Koda's Nose?

Sarah

Sarah,

Gosh! it looks to me like contact dermatitis . . . did he get into anything out there that could cause a rash like Poison Ivy (Rhus Toxicodendron)? Is there anything in your house he may have unwittingly gotten his nose into . . . cleaning agents, bleach etc.? How about critters with spines like porcupines, hedgehogs echinidas? I'm not too familiar with the flora and fauna of the UK so you'll need to look around but for my thinking it's contact dermatitis. Is he/she pawing at it? A cortizone cream type OTC ointment applied sparingly may help ease the inflammation. If it worsens after application get him/her to a vet ASAP! I hope this is helpful. . . .

possible, or allergy maybe? any new food or treats? is the fur thinning & does he scratch it?

Looks like how greys muzzle goes the 1st day or 2 after eating a food he's allergic too

no food wise nothings changed at all, the fur doesn't seem to have thinned you can just see red through it? no scratching either :confused:

Sarah,

Gosh! it looks to me like contact dermatitis . . . did he get into anything out there that could cause a rash like Poison Ivy (Rhus Toxicodendron)? Is there anything in your house he may have unwittingly gotten his nose into . . . cleaning agents, bleach etc.? How about critters with spines like porcupines, hedgehogs echinidas? I'm not too familiar with the flora and fauna of the UK so you'll need to look around but for my thinking it's contact dermatitis. Is he/she pawing at it? A cortizone cream type OTC ointment applied sparingly may help ease the inflammation. If it worsens after application get him/her to a vet ASAP! I hope this is helpful. . . .

Thank you x - come to think of it - we built a new shed last wkend - he's been doing some digging although we don't get any spiky animals in the garden, well none that i've ever seen touch wood.

all cleaning agents are locked away or in high cupboards away from kids / dogs

Just a thought, a little benadryl elixir wouldn't hurt as an antihistamine it will work on the inside as the cortizone works on the outside. I believe it's 1 c.c. for each kg. of body weight but please check that out with a pet health care professional. Kiddy formula is the best, usually cherry flavored so he should slurp it right up. May make him a bit sleepy but a sleeping husky is a good husky!!;) good luck will keep him in prayer. You too!!

Carmen OFM

Thank you x - come to think of it - we built a new shed last wkend - he's been doing some digging although we don't get any spiky animals in the garden, well none that i've ever seen touch wood.

all cleaning agents are locked away or in high cupboards away from kids / dogs

Is the new shed wooden? is the wood "treated"? was he digging around the shed or near it?

try a little piriton (cant remember if its piriton or piriteze, but the one that doesnt cause drowzyness), one tablet. And keep him away from the shed for a couple of days to see if it clears up :)

If it does its an allergy, if not may well be ZRD, which can be sorted with a change in diet :)

If the shed is "treated" wood, the manufacturers often soak the wood in creosote which retards rotting. Creosote is a known irritant for skin and if the fumes are inhaled over a long period they can cause irritation of the lungs as well. If it's not wood, sometimes the man-made materials are made with rot/mildew resistant materials that can leach fumes that may not be detectable by smell (to humans) but will cause irritation notwithstanding. It all depends on the material and if the Husky was digging around the construction site . . . This is turning into a real Sherlock Holmes Mystery!

All Right!! It is wooden, it was treated and Husky was digging around it. My guess is that whatever is preserving the wood of the shed has irritated Koda's nose. It's not unto death, so please don't worry excessively. I've had mine get into something similar. Try an antihistamine you are familiar with at a dose you are sure of and get some cortaid 10 so some kind of anti-itch cream you have in the UK with cortizone in it, apply a small amount try to rub it in as well as you can before Koda licks it off. See if there is a way you can cordon off the area to Koda until the wood ages a bit and the strength of the "newness" diminishes. About a week or two if possible. Keep the cortizone cream and antihistamine available as Koda may get back into the area and cause a flare-up of the symptoms. See what happens. As I stated earlier, if after the cream and elixir there is no improvement or it worsens, get Koda to a vet as soon as you can. He should be OK though. Huskies get into the darnedest things!!