Hello from Texas!

Adria Pace

Hey everyone! My name is Adria, I live in Killeen, TX, and I have 2 sweet husky girls and a sweet German Shepherd/Great Dane boy. My huskies are 4 1/2 years old and 9 1/2 months old, and are both black and white. My Dane mix is 2 1/2 years old. I found this forum when looking for information on puppy birthing. Unfortunately, my 9 month old girl just had her first heat, and despite keeping my male away from her, he tore through our screen and jumped through the window to get to her while we weren't home, and they got together =(. My husband and I are having a very hard time deciding what to do, as we were not going to have her spayed quite yet, leaving the option to let her have a litter open. Now it looks as though we will be having an emergency spay done, as I feel she is far too young for a litter. I am also 6 months pregnant, so puppies right now would be a big hassle! I'm excited to hopefully meet with other husky owners in the area, as my husband and I have fallen in love with the breed. They can be a handful, but they are the sweetest dogs ever when they want to be! I look forward to being an active member here!!!

403182_980927396854_38309426_40606434_426982496_n.jpg

Hey there, Adria and welcome from another Texan (( okay, so I'm a 35 year transplant, I've been her long enough! )) I'm retired living down in the Big Bend area.

Welcome to the best forum you're ever going to find anywhere!

Since we're scattered all across the world and some of the questions and answers are going to depend on where you live, it helps a lot if you fill out the location item in the profile and also pin yourself to the member map at http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/memberMap/

Again, ask whatever you want, we have a great group of people here and we'll try to answer just about anything you want to ask and since we're scattered so far around the world, it's not very common to not have someone who'll answer a question or make a comment within minutes of when you place it.

Like this is 16 minutes after you posted your intro!!

Hey everyone! My name is Adria, I live in Killeen, TX, and I have 2 sweet husky girls and a sweet German Shepherd/Great Dane boy. My huskies are 4 1/2 years old and 9 1/2 months old, and are both black and white. My Dane mix is 2 1/2 years old. I found this forum when looking for information on puppy birthing. Unfortunately, my 9 month old girl just had her first heat, and despite keeping my male away from her, he tore through our screen and jumped through the window to get to her while we weren't home, and they got together =(. My husband and I are having a very hard time deciding what to do, as we were not going to have her spayed quite yet, leaving the option to let her have a litter open. Now it looks as though we will be having an emergency spay done, as I feel she is far too young for a litter. I am also 6 months pregnant, so puppies right now would be a big hassle! I'm excited to hopefully meet with other husky owners in the area, as my husband and I have fallen in love with the breed. They can be a handful, but they are the sweetest dogs ever when they want to be! I look forward to being an active member here!!!

How long ago did he get to her? Contact a vet an ask about an injection she can have that will stop the pregnancy. If its early enough , I think three weeks max you can have that done

Oh an hello from Lancashire

Welcome to the pack!

Like Nicola said, there should be a shot you can get from your vet that will...well...abort the pregnancy. Talk to your vet about it, and do it ASAP cause I think there's a time limit on how long she goes without getting the 'abortion' shot.

Thanks everyone! I thought the shot was only effective within a few days, and the first time he got to her was Thursday morning. If it's effective for 3 weeks then I will definitely be talking to the vet about the injection, as we didn't want to have her spayed! We just waited too long to get our male neutered =(. But if I can get the shot and then get him neutered that would definitely be ideal!

Welcome to the BEST Husky forum in the WORLD !!!!

We have 6000 + members in over 60 different countries around the world.

I'm sure someone will be able to advise you. :)

Thank you! I will do all of that now! I myself am not a Texan, but my husband is in the army so we're stuck here for now. We were both born and raised in Bloomington, Indiana. We've actually always wanted to go down to Big Bend Park, it's just quite a drive!

No one is ever "stuck" in Texas ... jeesh, that'll get you run out of the state! I can't think of any other place that I'd rather live, been here since '78 so I guess it's home!

Big Bend is a great place to visit and to live, but like so much of Texas, it's a ways over yonder. When you think something is only half way across the state you have to rethink because halfway across the state is 450 mile!! C'mon down though any time you'd like, I can't put you up, but if you're into camping, I have a few acres where you can put just about anything you want to. And it's only 80 miles to the city if you run out of something (( actually, it's only 18 to the nearest vill that has most things. :) ))

hi and welcome to you all ....yes i think 9 mths is to young to have a litter ...hey accidents happen ..as we know it only takes a couple of seconds ...

Hi and WavingWelcome.gif. They are lovely!

Talk to your vet about the benefits and risks of the mis-mate shot - while it can allow you to keep her intact for future breeding, there are some serious potential side-effects. Googling "mismate shot", a lot of hits came up, many on forums, and based on personal experience and opinion - better for you to pick and choose from, than me to direct you to something relatively biased (not saying that any given bias is right or wrong!)... Here's one that's more factual.

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/theriogenology-5361/cannine%20pregnancy%20prevention_3.htm

If you decide to not spay her but breed her at some point in the future, please make sure that you at the very least have her hips and eyes checked (your vet can provide you with information on where to go for vets who can do these tests) to make sure that she doesn't have Canine Hip Dysplasia or any genetic eye diseases before you breed her!

How long ago did he get to her? Contact a vet an ask about an injection she can have that will stop the pregnancy. If its early enough , I think three weeks max you can have that done

Oh an hello from Lancashire

Many vets here in the US don't like to give the mis-mate shot, due to the side effects it can have...

Hi and WavingWelcome.gif. They are lovely!

Talk to your vet about the benefits and risks of the mis-mate shot - while it can allow you to keep her intact for future breeding, there are some serious potential side-effects. Googling "mismate shot", a lot of hits came up, many on forums, and based on personal experience and opinion - better for you to pick and choose from, than me to direct you to something relatively biased (not saying that any given bias is right or wrong!)... Here's one that's more factual.

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/theriogenology-5361/cannine%20pregnancy%20prevention_3.htm

If you decide to not spay her but breed her at some point in the future, please make sure that you at the very least have her hips and eyes checked (your vet can provide you with information on where to go for vets who can do these tests) to make sure that she doesn't have Canine Hip Dysplasia or any genetic eye diseases before you breed her!

Many vets here in the US don't like to give the mis-mate shot, due to the side effects it can have...

Ahh ok. When Togo tied with Peppa at six months on her first season we immediately rang the vet and discussed options. They recommended the injection as the possible side effects of that verses pregnancy at such a young age was the better of the two. My personal experience has been a good one. Peppa's a bouncy happy little girl :)