Dog abuser banned from owning pet for three years

Elyse

From December, but its local so I wanted to post it. Also FREAKY, cause its right in the city that I live and I usually go to that same mall/grocery store. I was probably there that week, shopping for school supplies.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3421393

What PISSES me off, is the guy wasn't charged more than that and that he's allowed to own another pet in 3 years.

To be honest, in this particular case it doesn't offend me that the penalties were meted out as they were. Dude was off his meds, seriously messed up, and snapped. I've been in fits of depression so low where something like that is very easy to envision. He tried to do something nice by feeding the dog, but even a starving stray dog "rejects" his attempt to reach out with kindness, and he snapped. It's not excusable, but I do understand where it came from.

He did 4 months in detention, had to pay the Humane Society for the care of the dog, and is banned from animal ownership for 3 years - not so unreasonable considering he doesn't even own any animals to begin with. What with far more horrific cruelties going on out there, I really don't think this is the one they needed to make an example of.

To be honest, in this particular case it doesn't offend me that the penalties were meted out as they were. Dude was off his meds, seriously messed up, and snapped. I've been in fits of depression so low where something like that is very easy to envision. He tried to do something nice by feeding the dog, but even a starving stray dog "rejects" his attempt to reach out with kindness, and he snapped. It's not excusable, but I do understand where it came from.

He did 4 months in detention, had to pay the Humane Society for the care of the dog, and is banned from animal ownership for 3 years - not so unreasonable considering he doesn't even own any animals to begin with. What with far more horrific cruelties going on out there, I really don't think this is the one they needed to make an example of.

That's true, I guess it could have been worse and he WAS off his meds. I guess I'm a little shaken cause it happened where I regularly go. I could have been there that day and not even know that was going on!

I was under the impression that he was the owner of the dog...? Edit: Yeah, it says that 'Tucker' was his dog.

That's true, I guess it could have been worse and he WAS off his meds. I guess I'm a little shaken cause it happened where I regularly go. I could have been there that day and not even know that was going on!

I was under the impression that he was the owner of the dog...? Edit: Yeah, it says that 'Tucker' was his dog.

Oops, I didn't see that part - I didn't see the part about him wanting to hunt woolly mammoths either! Interesting too, that they sent the dog all the way to Nova Scotia - guess they wanted to make sure he wouldn't be able to see the dog again? Not such a bad idea, that.

Yeah, it's hard when something like that hits so close to home. But I think based on the fact that it was sudden, impulsive, he had no prior incidents like it and there was no lasting injury to the dog, the punishment was fair.

Major props to the woman who intervened though! It's great that some random person stood up for the dog like that!