How much time do you spend with your puppy?

Lurio

I wake up at 6 am. feed/train/play with my puppy until 6:45. I leave him in his play pen and then leave for school. I come back at 2 and feed him then play with him for an hour. I put him back in the play pen until 5 pm then i take him to the park or a walk around the block. I comeback and put him in the play pen again until 9 where i feed him/train him and then he goes to sleep. Am i spending enough time with him. I could spend more time with him outside of his pen and around my house but he pees/poops whenever he gets a chances (i try to predict when he starts smelling around and take him to his peeing/pooping area but he doesnt do it. And thats why most of his time is spent in the play pen or outside walking because my house would smell and be covered in poop otherwise. So am i spending enough time with him and what should i do about the pooping/peeing?

Does he make a lot of 'messes' while he's alone? If he's alone for long stretches, he's able to pee/poo where ever he likes without anyone correcting him. This might be why you're having problems getting him to go where you want him to easily? But I'm no expert, it's just what I'd think if I were in your situation. Puppies need as much time and attention that you can give them, so if you've got an extra 30 minutes a day you can give him then go for it.

I spend most of the day with Ryder. I get up at 6:30am (not 100% sure when he wakes but it's content playing by himself until the humans come) and he's with me pretty much constantly until I put him down for the night around 9:30pm. When he's not napping I try and give him my full attention for playing, training, cuddles etc. But also give him some time alone because there will be times when I have to leave him when he's older and he needs to be used to it. But this is just me and my dog, and it works for us. You need to find your own balance.