accidental litter help

snookie308

So me and my husband planned a 2 week trip to get married and put our 3 dogs in a kennel til we were back. My female was only 10 months and i was waiting til she was a year to fix her and have ALWAYS kept her from the males unless closely supervised. Our vet (where we kennel ed the dogs) knew about her upcoming spay and when we dropped them off we advised she was to be kenneled apart from the other two and we even paid extra for another space.

When we got back and went to pick them up they took us to the boarding area and all 3 of them were in one huge kennel. I was extreamly upset and got a partial refund. I eventually forgot about it as time went on and about 6 weeks later out of no where my female seemed to be gaining weight and sure enough 2-3 weeks after that we now have 5 puppies that are 4 weeks old tomorrow.

We are getting free vet care and after the puppies are weaned the vet has agreed to do a free spay on the female since it was their fault.

My question is I live in the USA and where I'm at the temperature is about 75 deg Fahrenheit during the day and 40 at night. The puppies will be 4 weeks tomorrow. When can i start leaving them outside?

Snookie, my first comment is that at least the vets being decent about it - even if someone there did screw up *big* time.

I presume that when you ask about putting the puppies out that you're also going to have momma out there with them? If that's the case then you can do that now since she ( and they ) will keep themselves warm at night - and 40's not too cold for pups. If it were me, I'd have them out in the yard for a few days, let them experience the out of doors before I left them all out overnight. You know though, don't you, that you're going to get serenaded and probably by all 6 ( 7 - 8??? ) animals!

sutsibe is a breeder, so she has a lot of experience in this.

Although I've have no experience, I would think pups have a hard time regulating their own body temperature (especially only at 5 weeks??). If you're getting free vet care/advice, I think it would be a good idea if you to ring the vet and ask for their opinion. Or, if you have any husky breeders in your area, you can call them up and ask them?

My vet has little experience with huskies and I'm in a small rural area she told me I could leave them all out a birth I thought she was nuts. I've kept them all inside at a constant 72 deg. Of course they will be with momma til at least 8-10 weeks. I have a fenced in back yard that's divided into 2 by 6ft tall chain link chicken wire the whole 9 yards but I'm just more scared over the temperature I don't want the little things freezing but my basement is starting to reek! Every 2 hrs I'm cleaning but seems the smell is getting stronger every day.

Wow, what an unfortunate situation, but I'm glad your vet clinic is owning up and being so responsible about it! Restores my faith in humanity, just a little bit. Don't beat yourself up too much - when to spay is a tough call, because everyone you talk to will give you a different recommendation on when is ideal. It even varies bay vet!

sutsibe will definitely be your best source of information when she sees this!

What have you got for a doghouse for them? I would suspect that as long as you have a large enough and insulated place for them to get into to warm up and to sleep there would be no issue - my uncle-in-law breeds springer spaniels and they live outside where the temperatures can dip to -40 in the winter. Granted, he has a whelping den custom-constructed and complete with heat lamps to deal with that kind of temperature shift, but if the temperature where you are doesn't dip below zero (i.e. 32F), insulation and warm bedding seems like it would be more than sufficient. I would take Sutsibe's advice as the Official Voice though!

As long a you have a dog house large enough that they can go inside and keep warm, they should be just fine at lows of 40F, especially by 4-5 weeks. After the first 10 days to 2 weeks, they're pretty well able to regulate their body temperatures, and will simply grow a little more coat if they're chilly, by this point. I've always had more trouble keeping them cool enough, after they're to the point where they're up an around! Siberians don't need nearly as much heat as most other breeds - they've been whelped and grown up quite well in the Arctic winter outside - as long as they have sufficient shelter! Cedar chips make really good bedding, and the dogs smell really good from them - although sometimes puppies decide that the nice, absorbent wood chips make good litter to poop and pee in, so if you use something like that for a dog house, introduce them to the kennel during the day, and then add the cedar or pine chips (pine isn't quite as nice for bedding, in my opinion) to your dog house as it's getting chilly for the evening...

Do make sure that they can't dig out or crawl over to go exploring, though. Very happy to hear that your vet is giving you some help with all of this - it sounds like the least they could do! Good luck to you!