Timber's Story

HuskyMom09

Well our Timber seems to be a crowd favorite around here so I thought I would share his story. Some of the following pics can be seen as "graphic"---

Four years ago I was involved with a Siberian Husky Rescue group. One day an email came in informing the group of a really bad situation involving dogs possibly puppy mill type situation. 43 dogs in total were at risk. The owner had recently died and the surviving members of his family wanted nothing to do with the dogs....the following pictures are what we found when we investigated:

The only man made shelter available-

post-430-0-93033200-1392848596_thumb.jpg

Bone scraps and feces

post-430-0-48804400-1392848610_thumb.jpg

Scared puppies

post-430-0-92780200-1392848705_thumb.jpg

Nervous unsocialized dogs

post-7184-0-37849600-1392849650.jpg

The only water source we found-

post-10905-0-79132700-1392915056_thumb.j

The pens were all nailed shut, we had to cut the wire fencing to enter the pens. The dogs hadn't been socialized at all and were very wary of us. They were free breeding and den birthing puppies that had never been handled and were vicious little badgers. The dogs when fed were being tossed rancid fat and bone scraps from a local butcher shop and left to fight for who ate. There was also evidence of them killing weaker members of the pack for food source. The pan of water in the 4th picture was the only source of water we found. These dogs were in bad shape.Many of the dogs had to be tranquilized for their own safety to move them. Timber was the only dog that walked out on lead, he had been their primary stud dog and was handled enough to work with. We were able to get 36 of the dogs that were still in pens into rescue. Wolf dog rescue took many of these animals and worked hard to rehabilitate them, Malamute rescue took the malamutes, and the Siberians went into various Siberian Rescues. It was a massive undertaking but so worth it in the end. I ended up taking Timber who Animal Control officers wanted to euthanize on site do to his "wolfiness" I can't say I have any regrets, he's a happy well adjusted (NEUTERED!) member of our pack now :)

527430_10150698455016590_561921589_9167565_654696377_a.jpg

post-6615-1358602799704_thumb.jpg

post-6615-1358602800522_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586028013467_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586028021639_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586028029884_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586028038066_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586028046353_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586028078425_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586028086922_thumb.jpg

post-6615-1358602809489_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586028102745_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank god for rescue groups. thats crazy...

It was crazy and trying emotionally as well as physically.

Bless your heart. It looks like there are dog pieces (tails, etc) in some of those pictures...made me wanna cry. Glad the ones that got out did, and hope they have all found homes. :)

Yes there were signs of pack predation....so sad they had to live the way they were. We had to euthanize one due to extreme aggression, and one that Animal Control injured in the rescue effort (dang catch pole anyway). All others either went to sanctuary or were placed in homes successfully.

What a horrible situation bless you and all the rescue groups I can't imagine what that's like in person. So glad Timber found his forever home sounds like he's turned out to be a wonderful dog :)

It was a horrible situation and one that I never want to relive. I'm glad we were able to make a difference for those dogs but it was difficult on all of us.

Goodness, thank you for posting this. When reading articles on animal abuse and puppy farms it is difficult to actually visualize how the animals are kept and these photos sure bring that home with a jolt. I can't even begin to imagine what it was like to actually be involved in a rescue like that, but well done to you and eveyone involved. I am sure a lot of tears were shed :(

Now I understand that look in Timber's eyes in the photos you have posted of him (especially those of him in the last photo thread you posted). He is magnificent and I am so glad we get to see photos of a happy and content Timber - thank you :)

Well done to you and everyone involved in this major rescue effort. What a terrible situation you rescued Timber and the other dogs from

Kudos for you and all rescues involved......

Thank you both.

Goodness, thank you for posting this. When reading articles on animal abuse and puppy farms it is difficult to actually visualize how the animals are kept and these photos sure bring that home with a jolt. I can't even begin to imagine what it was like to actually be involved in a rescue like that, but well done to you and eveyone involved. I am sure a lot of tears were shed :(

Now I understand that look in Timber's eyes in the photos you have posted of him (especially those of him in the last photo thread you posted). He is magnificent and I am so glad we get to see photos of a happy and content Timber - thank you :)

It was a shocking site, not even sure the pictures do it justice to what it was really like...and thank god the smell stayed there not with the photos! The whole thing was stomach churning to a degree I could never put into words. I can't tell you how many nights I cried, from the moment I saw the first photos in the email that alerted us to a situation to after we got 36 of them out. The situation put age on us all, but still weight heavy in Timber I think.

Thank you both.

It was a shocking site, not even sure the pictures do it justice to what it was really like...and thank god the smell stayed there not with the photos! The whole thing was stomach churning to a degree I could never put into words. I can't tell you how many nights I cried, from the moment I saw the first photos in the email that alerted us to a situation to after we got 36 of them out. The situation put age on us all, but still weight heavy in Timber I think.

Yeah, I don't think they can forget where they came from, but I am sure he is thankful to be out of there with a family and pack who love him :)

Yeah, I don't think they can forget where they came from, but I am sure he is thankful to be out of there with a family and pack who love him :)

So true....there are times when he relapses and shows food aggression but only toward my husband. The person before us was a man and Timber sure hasn't forgot how he had to fight for every scrap of food he ate. Those relapses have become further and further apart which gives me hope that he'll be able to realize the peace he has now.

Great job rescuing him and helping get those other babies out of there. There was an animal cruelty case here in KY not too long ago where the woman had somewhere around 30 different dogs, several were malamute hybrids and huskies. She was shoving pennies down their throats for dewormer, starving them, falsifying vet documents, illegally operating a rescue, and when the authorities got there they saw a burn pile with burned bodies of puppies and adult dogs that had been thrown on the burn pile. There was even a burned puppy that was barely still alive enough to lift his head laying on the burn pile! I don't know if I'm allowed to post her name or the name her supposed rescue went by so if you want to know her name and the name of te rescue pm me. This was in Pine Knot, KY. Really a shame and sickens me that people can be as cruel and evil as they are! By the way Timber is a very handsome young man.

Wow, what a horrific situation for those poor dogs! Thank goodness you and your group rescued them.. and so glad you saved Timber! What a handsome boy and I'm happy he was able to adjust after living like that.

you sometimes don't realise how bad it is out there and stories like this always bring tears to my eyes .. Well done to the rescue work you guys do and for saving those dogs from such a horrible life.. You restore my faith in people

Good work - well done

Poor babies , well done on saving him

Great job rescuing him and helping get those other babies out of there. There was an animal cruelty case here in KY not too long ago where the woman had somewhere around 30 different dogs, several were malamute hybrids and huskies. She was shoving pennies down their throats for dewormer, starving them, falsifying vet documents, illegally operating a rescue, and when the authorities got there they saw a burn pile with burned bodies of puppies and adult dogs that had been thrown on the burn pile. There was even a burned puppy that was barely still alive enough to lift his head laying on the burn pile! I don't know if I'm allowed to post her name or the name her supposed rescue went by so if you want to know her name and the name of te rescue pm me. This was in Pine Knot, KY. Really a shame and sickens me that people can be as cruel and evil as they are! By the way Timber is a very handsome young man.

That is a terrible site. But good came from it (Timber). I have never understood people who don't take care of their animals. Thank you for posting these pictures and this story.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read Timber's Story, he's one of my biggest success stories and by far and he was the biggest reward I could have ever hoped for :) So glad to have him in my pack!

• 6 months later...

I thought I would give this thread a bump since Timber's story has come to an end. His cremains will be back home with us any day now and the final chapter closed. Thank you all for sharing in the love and story of this wonderful boy that graced our lives for far too little of time.

Thank you for bumping. Although I didn't comment, I did read this post first time round and it's good to be reminded of how things turned around for him. He may not of spent his entire life with you but the time he had was clearly very special. Quality beats quantity every time! X

Oh my gosh, that story is so bitter sweet, its so sad that he came form such horrible conditions but the fact that you took him home and gave him such a beautiful happy life makes me so so happy...Its just such a beautiful story and shows that out of every bad situation, we can make a change, like you did for Timber. x