This really surprised me

Removed #5

I was talking to a couple who also have a few dogs and they mentioned the puppy mills being run by the Amish - you know, like the people who drive buggies and don't have electricity. So I had to go check this out and here's what I found:

Who Runs Puppy Mills?

The federal government considers the dogs livestock so anyone can start a mill. But perhaps the best-known group is the Amish in Pennsylvania. Amish puppy mills have been in the news again and again. The Amish defend their practice, claiming dogs are no different than other livestock and that the conditions are not deplorable like some say.

The rest of the article can be found here, and it's really worth a look at the Amish. This is definitely one case where I don't even begin to understand.

I think I need to clarify one point (( since I've found lately that I can put my foot in my mouth all too easily )) I am not insinuating that this is an Amish problem, far from it; like most people the majority of the Amish wish to do good as they see it. The fact that most of the puppy mills in PA & NY are in Amish territory does not mean that the majority of the Amish are running puppy mills, or for that matter are even aware that they're there.

It is interesting to see this article, when we were looking for a Siberian pup, we had asked our Vet if he knew of a responsible breeder which he did give us some great names of Siberian Kennels, he then replied, don't buy the Siberian pups from the Amish about 7 miles from our home. Our Vet stated they run a Puppy Mill and their puppies are of very poor quality. They, the Amish, bring their pups for shots to the clinic. Again, nothing wrong with Amish life, but nobody no matter who you are should be running a puppy mill of any kind. Thanks for posting this.

Husky Lovers in Vermont:doglick:

Just had someone in at my vet's clinic last week with an Amish-bred puppy... Actually, 2 of them! They are Great Pyr crosses, bred to guard sheep... They seemed healthy enough, and given that they are sheep guardians and have been left with the sheep and little human contact, I wasn't surprised that they were shy. We have a number of Amish in parts of Iowa, and it seems like they sell a number of things - from puppies to furniture to quilts - to make a little extra money!