Chickens and Huskies?

calvinandmommy

My mom has chickens and when I lived with her I helped her take care of them. I hated it then but loved the fresh eggs! Now that I haven't lived around chickens for almost 2 years I miss it. And it is getting hard to find inexpensive fresh eggs. Right now I get them for $3 a dozen but since farmer's market season is coming up soon all the egg prices will jump to about $6 a dozen. :cry1:

Anyways I wanted to know if anybody here has chickens with their huskies? I'm thinking about (if I can convince the husband) getting 2-3 layer hens and make a little area in the backyard for them. Do you think Calvin would try to get to them? He has been around chickens before but he was with other dogs that were trained to leave the chickens alone and the chickens were in the coop still.

I really want chickens!!!

I have friends in Wisconsin who raise chickens for the meat every year. Every so often, one of the chickens will get over the fence and into their kennel area (the chicken pen is quite close to the dogs' kennel area) and lose its life quite gruesomely! It might be that Calvin, having been around chickens before, might leave them alone, but I wouldn't bet on it...

we have chickens, ducks rabbits and a husky, admittedly we used to have more of each species before Storm, but she has her own space and we have upped the security to prevent more mishaps. It is do-able but depends on the amount of ground you have to keep them apart.

I would love to keep chickens I even bought books on keeping chickens before I got Bo. I wouldn't dream of it now as Ollie has such a high prey drive. Someone was telling me about how if you surround the chicken area with Jeyes fluid this deters them but I think Olllie would just ignore it as chicken is his favourite food. Sad to say not a good idea unless you have loads of land. Chickens are idiots.

I would love to keep chickens I even bought books on keeping chickens before I got Bo. I wouldn't dream of it now as Ollie has such a high prey drive. Someone was telling me about how if you surround the chicken area with Jeyes fluid this deters them but I think Olllie would just ignore it as chicken is his favourite food. Sad to say not a good idea unless you have loads of land. Chickens are idiots.

I have to agree that chickens must be among the most stupid creatures on the planet.

It does depend alot on the individual dogs prey drive, when we dog sat Ebony she had a much more intense prey drive than our Storm.

Sasha has killed 8 birds as of yesterday.:cry1:in our yard. That's the ones I know about and caught her with and she's not often left alone. She's just reaching 8 months old. I cannot even imagine her around chickens. I think she would do anything to get any small animal and now she has our other two dogs chasing the cat!

• 2 weeks later...