and again, potty train question

miguel

my husky is 9 MONTHS OLD! and sadly yes she still isn't potty trained..... lol

so yeah, what do you suggest I do when I something like already trained her to pee inside the house?

I let her out at the time she usually pees or when I know she's gonna pee and just standing there with her is litteraly gonna take forever. so got this idea to just tie him up, or let her free. she stays there and just do nothing she wont pee or poop! so by the time it's late and I got no choice but to take her in, she goes in the house couple of seconds bayum! she poops and pees!

I tried taking her out after taking her in but still didn't work.... suggestions? thanks

Don't tie her up outside. She needs to be taken out frequently and when she does go potty outside there needs to be LOTS of praise involved and even a tasty treat as a reward. You will need to stay out with her as long as it takes. That's part of the price you pay for taking in a puppy.:) Take her out when she first wakes up in the morning, after a nap, after eating or drinking, and right after playing. Limit her water right before bed. Be prepared to wake up to take her out in the middle of the night. It's going to take some time but as long as your consistent, she will eventually pick up on what you want her to do.

I agree, you'll need to stay out with her for as long as it takes for her to pee. It's a lot of wasted time... but there is really no other way. Once this happens, you need to PRAISE her like crazy so that she starts peeing outside more often.

And then... you'll still have to put her on a puppy schedule for a few weeks, taking her out every 1/2 hours and at least once during the night, to make sure that she is not peeing in the house ever again. At the moment, peeing in the house is a habit for her and the only way of breaking it is just not giving her the chance to do that anymore.

It's harder to potty train a 9 month old dog than a few weeks old puppy, but if you are consistent with your schedule, it will give off results.

If it makes you feel any better, my dog still wasn't potty trained at 6-7 months old so as soon as my summer holidays started and I had lots of free time on my hands, I literally spent the whole day outside with the dog as he just refused to pee outside, so we were taking him out every hour. When he first peed outside our home, we praised him a lot and waited for it to happen again. After the first few times, he seemed to get the idea a bit. But we still had to keep up with taking him out hourly and making sure that he never got the chance to pee inside - meaning he was constantly supervised. Sure, we still had some accidents, but at least by 9 months old he had become more reliable. After he got a bit older, he started to have fewer and fewer accidents. It took a very long time to get him potty trained - but spending all that time walking him in front of our building to make him pee paid off - he is fully potty trained now and the only times he has accidents now are really our fault for taking him out later than we should.

when she poo's or pee's tell her the word poo or pee so when you take her out and give the word it'll be a sort of a command also try using deodorizer on the spot inside the house where she usually poo or pee use an old cloth to absorb the pee and put in the spot where you want her to do her business

oh yeah will the puppy method be 100% effective to adult dogs? like after she pees inside the house just take her out and praise her?

Erm... well, I would only praise her if she does pee outside. And make it clear to her that peeing inside is not what you want from her, i.e. telling her a firm, sharp NO if you catch her in the act (but only you catch her in the act, not afterwards). Otherwise, if you just find a puddle of pee on the floor, don't bother with that as she won't understand what she's done wrong.

Also, the problem with an adult dog (although she's still a puppy at this age, technically) is that they can hold it for much longer than a puppy... so if she goes inside and then you take her out, you might find yourself waiting a long while before she pees again. So if she's already peed inside, wait an hour or so and take her out again. If she pees/poops outside, lots and lots of praised. If not, bring her back after 20 minutes and take her again in an hour.

How often would you say she pees at the moment?

I dont know like all the time? lol.

sometimes i do get lucky that she pees outside.

other problem is when its raining I cant take her out since the floor is wet, and she doesn't want her feet wet lol.

Well she'll just have to learn to put up with it. Mine hates going out in the rain - it's a nightmare when it's raining because he just won't go and have to walk him in the rain for at least 45 minutes until he realises we are not going anywhere until he pees/poops. It's difficult, but needs to be done - she's only one year old, so this means that if she doesn't learn to pee in the rain, you have 12 more years ahead of you of her peeing inside when it's raining. Really need to be firm on that and take her out when it's raining, regularly, even if she hates it.

Make sure you make the best out of the moments she pees outside - lots of praise and maybe even treats if you can carry them around. To be honest, if she is peeing all the time... it really sounds to me like you need to start again from scratch. It's not that she can't hold it - at this age, should be able to hold it for at least 7-8 hours. But she is just doesn't know it.

• 2 weeks later...

okay I can now get her to pee out side, always! but only if I take her out at the right time, so if I get late by a minute she pees inside the house, she doesn't hold it! but she does pee outside now! I praise her alot when she does pee out side. what should I do to get rid of accidents?

well I would not put her outside, and here's a article that I found that explains it.

http://www.foundanimals.org/pet-care/ask-experts/how-to-housebreak-a-puppy

And my advice get her crate trained that will help her with her potty issues. If you go to mt thread on "Any training questions that I can answer" I can explain to you how to crate train.

P.S that link about house breaking, I did not write it, it's not my. So if you need help ask me on that thread.

okay I can now get her to pee out side, always! but only if I take her out at the right time, so if I get late by a minute she pees inside the house, she doesn't hold it! but she does pee outside now! I praise her alot when she does pee out side. what should I do to get rid of accidents?

Keep it up with taking her out at the right time.

It's fantastic that she now pees outside when you take her. If you keep up with it, it might take a few more weeks but you will get rid of accidents eventually.

Also, if you are taking her out every 2 hours now, you can't expect her to suddenly be able to hold it for 6 hours, for example. You should slowly and gradually increase the intervals you are taking her out at. If this not working right now, wait a bit longer before attempting to increase them.