Possible Spaying Complications

knwilk44

Kiska was spayed at the end of February and quite a few things went wrong. First of all - and I'd had this confirmed by a reputable UK breeder of Siberian huskies - the breed as a whole does not take to anaesthetic very well. Apparently it is common for them to struggle to come round from it and seem 'out of it' for a lot longer than other dogs. This is exactly what happened to Kiska; I was told to collect her at 2:30pm but when I turned up I was told she was "still a bit sleepy" so I had to come back at 5pm. When I turned up at 5pm she was brought out to me in the waiting room and it was horrible - she was wobbling all over the place, could barely stand and didn't even seem to know I was there (as soon as she stopped walking she slumped down on the floor and looked passed out but with her eyes open, she had no idea I was even there). It was very distressing to see. They took me into a consultation room and I said straight away "She's staying overnight isn't she?" - to be honest I wouldn't have let them send her home in the state she was in, and it's a bloody good thing she did stay in because at about 7:15pm I got a phone call from the surgeon who'd performed Kiska's op who said they suspected internal bleeding and had to rush her down to sort it out. Two hours of being on my own in the living room absolutely crapping my pants that I was about to lose my baby and they called back to say she was awake and they'd sorted it. I was under the impression it was quite bad and that I almost lost her but the surgeon later explained that the bleeding was pretty minimal. I'm sceptical about this because they hadn't been doing any blood work on her up until after her emergency op so the only two ways I know of that they could have been using to spot internal bleeding was by checking her gums and by looking for a swollen abdomen, and as Kiska has black gums I'm guessing her abdomen must have been swollen which to me implies quite severe bleeding! They said they couldn't identify where the bleeding had come from but that they re-stitched everything and it had stopped. When Kiska finally came home the next afternoon she was very reserved and seemed 'depressed' to me, and it was about 6-7 days before she started voluntarily moving from her bed, and another week on top of that before she was happy on walks again.

Despite all what went wrong Kiska came through it and other than wanting to eat a LOT more she is back to her usual self. It was a horrendous couple of weeks and I NEVER want to go through something like that again, but it has not put me off of neutering - when I get my next dog it will also be neutered and I will continue to encourage people to neuter their pets.

EDIT: Being 4 years old won't add any extra complications to the procedure, in fact I think that's a good age to have it done - she's fully mature and still in her prime, the best time to get her done :)

Not being a breeder I had Sasha spayed at six months. There were no complications, I picked her up the day after she was happy to come home. It was tough keeping her brothers away from her (two high energy Labs) though she healed quickly with no issues. With desolvable stitches we didn't have to return and she healed very quickly. Thing is Sasha was surrendered with health issues by her breeder without papers. I had my concerns, though she did great.

What about spaying an older female like mine, who is 4 years old?

Skyla had just turned 2 years and 3 months old when she was done , if she has no health problems such as a heart murmer etc she should be fine

we picked her up about 4ish (thats the time we were told to get her ,we also picked blaze up at this time when he was neutered)

she was sulky with me but came out the vets fine , got into the car ok , struggled abit to get out the car but again she was fine with walking etc

she prefered to stay outside but other than that you wouldnt have known , she had a drink straight away when she came in - didnt throw up or cough like the vet said she probably would

there was nothing wrong at all with her :)

In regards to the anesthetic tolerance of huskies...Suka (male, neutered, was 6 years old) had to be put under for x-rays. He came out of it perfectly fine and didn't have any negative effects from it.

I'd talk about it with your vet about all of the possible complications, during the procedure and after, to make sure you're making the right decision.

Here's some more information...

http://www.infovets.com/healthydog/b777.htm

I would have the vet run a full blood screening before. This will give levels on the kidneys, liver, glucose, red cells, white cells, and other areas, plus give them a better target for the anesthetics. We had a full blood screen done when Zoya was spayed, and recently prior to her dental work. It provides the vet with benchmark, and then over time when additional blood screens are done, they can see if there are any trends that could pose issues.