What type of collars and/or harnesses do you prefer and why?

aronoiiel

I'm just curious everyone has their preference and alot seem to have similar collars and harnesses for different reasons. I'll start :)

I have a side release collar for both my kids but don't like the lack of control. I'd much prefer to have a semi-slip or martingale for Kiana as she starts to back peddle when she doesn't want to go home. For Diesel I'm loving Sid_Wolf head collar to give more control.

Harnesses I've only ever tried the Ezydog and I like it well enough but it's got it's getting to small for Kiana; and here I thought I correctly gauged which one I got lol. I'm really liking the idea of a Julius K-9 for Diesel my GSDx because of the handle you can hang on to for that random cat or bird. For Kiana I like the idea of the WYDWL harness because she listens well but pulls like a freight train when there's a small fuzzy or airplane around.

Kiska has a bandanna collar I bought off of eBay because I just really liked the idea of her wearing a bandanna and found one in orange :D Though today I bought a new orange/reflective Karlie collar that matches her lead (an orange/reflective training lead that I was given by someone at the vets because they didn't want it, I only took it because it was orange XD) and I'm going to look at getting her a personalised bandanna (or making my own) to go on it. She has an orange Julius K9 harness which I bought after surfing the ezydog website and seeing an advert for them. They seemed to unique compared to all of the other harnesses I'd seen and I just love it :)

We use a rope collar with a metal buckle - the reason we don't use a flat collar is that it just destroys the fur. In fact, we walk ours on two collars - one is there just for his tags, the other one is for attaching the leash. Never had any issue with him escaping his collar, it's true that we've had a collar break before on him though, which is why we always have his other collar with the tags on on him when we go for a walk.

Sometimes we use a harness as well - we have a simple walk in harness from Ancol (I think). It was really cheap, but it was padded and seems comfortable enough. It doesn't give me too much control, but why I actually is use it is because I think mine is much more comfortable on the harness. I would never ever use the harness though if we went to a high distraction environment, like the park or going to town. But if we're going for a short walk around the block or for a late night walk, I prefer to use that.

I use different leashes depending on where we go - in a high distraction environment, I always use the 1m long leash. Whereas if we just go for his regular walks we use a 2 m long leash. To be fair, even though it's a high distraction environment, I use the 2m leash when we go to the park as well as I want him to have a bit more freedom there. We also have a flexi leash, but don't use that much anymore as it's quite difficult to use it on the street (at least IMO) and most of the time we are just to lazy to carry it with us to the park.

I don't have a preference on collars, as I never use them for walking or anything. As for harnesses, I prefer non-pull harnesses, for obvious reasons :) Echo can also pull like a train with those one, however, I like the WYDWL harness for the reason that it seems to be escape proof, which is great for my little houdini! We have had way too many equipment failures before she even turned a year old :lolman:

My kids wear White Pine martingale collars, mainly because they really seem to be the only collar I have ever tried that doesn't either damage or discolor their hair....for harnesses I am really loving my Alpine Outfitters harnesses, they were the first ones I have bought but I had demoed others from friends. The only complaint I have about them was they took forever to get here...my fault though I shouldn't have ordered in their peak season! LOL lesson learned :) I will be ordering the rest from them for sure

We dont use collars for everday use. Micah wore one attached to her old harness as she in an escape artist. We used to use the Rogz harnesses (we don't have much variety here). But, we have just received their Julius K9 harnesses and so far they are great, definitely worth the wait and the price/postage/customs duty to get it into SA :rolleyes: