Better late than never to introduce myself

Matt_S

Hi,

I wanted to thank HO for all the info I have learned over the past year. I signed up to learn about the breed and boy did I learn a lot here. I have lurked these forums so much but never posted because I never actually owned a Husky until about a month ago. With some persuasion from another member I have decided time to stop lurking and join the community of Husky Owners.

I placed a deposit on an upcoming litter with a show breeder and was placed on a waiting list for a pet quality pup. Part of what I did to get ready for a dog in the house was to take my children to the Humane Society once a month to walk a few dogs and play with them to learn how to interact with them. One visit I was told that there was a Sibe puppy dropped off over the weekend and wanted to know if I was interested as there were many submitted application with no suitable homes. I took him out for a walk…and long story short adopted him on the spot turning down my hold with the breeder. He came with a long list of “issues†that I have mostly worked out of him with the assistance of a trainer. I have his full history and its not a good one, but he has come so far in the past month. He was taken from his litter too early and placed in a pet store alone. He was purchased by a truck driver to ride in the rig with him….ya. He ate the interior of the truck (good for him!) and was then isolated to a room in an apartment before being surrendered. The shelter said he had never seen another dog, never been for a walk and had no training what so ever when I rescued him (He was surrendered at about 4 months old). I knew that it was going to be a challenge, but it has been 100% worth it to know he did not end up in another bad home. We signed up for puppy school…and were asked to leave in the first 10 min…he doesn’t like other puppies. I only had him 3 days at the time and had no idea. We are in a manners class and he is doing great! Although he is uneasy around other dogs at times, he is getting better and letting other dogs around him…just not too close. He is a real sweetheart with people and a huge part of my life now!

Enjoy his pics, I hope to become an active member here now! PS his name was Chico from the rescue (apparently they thought that he was a big chiwawa??) I have changed his name to Nanuk. He is much happier with that name… I do have more pics, but I work on a computer all day, and love being outdoors as soon as I get home so never really get around to uploading them. I promise I will post more as he grows because pics are fun!

scaled.php?server=710&filename=img6660ow.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=404&filename=img6658f.jpg&res=medium

:yahoo:Huskys!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Matt and good on you for rescuing the little guy. Ya know, having driven truck, I can see a Husky being an excellent companion for the right driver. I still like to hit the road, when I can, and a 4 - 5 hundred trip is no big deal. My girl is either sitting in the passenger seat watching everything ( and don't I wish I could ask her what she sees! ) or crashed in the back of my jeep - an excellent "road dog".

Sounds like you got yourself a good challenge there - and as with most good challenges - it's the rewards that make it all worth while.

What you do have is a good looking boy who'll love you all the more because he knows what the bad times are ...

Hi,

I wanted to thank HO for all the info I have learned over the past year. I signed up to learn about the breed and boy did I learn a lot here. I have lurked these forums so much but never posted because I never actually owned a Husky until about a month ago. With some persuasion from another member I have decided time to stop lurking and join the community of Husky Owners.

I placed a deposit on an upcoming litter with a show breeder and was placed on a waiting list for a pet quality pup. Part of what I did to get ready for a dog in the house was to take my children to the Humane Society once a month to walk a few dogs and play with them to learn how to interact with them. One visit I was told that there was a Sibe puppy dropped off over the weekend and wanted to know if I was interested as there were many submitted application with no suitable homes. I took him out for a walk…and long story short adopted him on the spot turning down my hold with the breeder. He came with a long list of “issues†that I have mostly worked out of him with the assistance of a trainer. I have his full history and its not a good one, but he has come so far in the past month. He was taken from his litter too early and placed in a pet store alone. He was purchased by a truck driver to ride in the rig with him….ya. He ate the interior of the truck (good for him!) and was then isolated to a room in an apartment before being surrendered. The shelter said he had never seen another dog, never been for a walk and had no training what so ever when I rescued him (He was surrendered at about 4 months old). I knew that it was going to be a challenge, but it has been 100% worth it to know he did not end up in another bad home. We signed up for puppy school…and were asked to leave in the first 10 min…he doesn’t like other puppies. I only had him 3 days at the time and had no idea. We are in a manners class and he is doing great! Although he is uneasy around other dogs at times, he is getting better and letting other dogs around him…just not too close. He is a real sweetheart with people and a huge part of my life now!

Enjoy his pics, I hope to become an active member here now! PS his name was Chico from the rescue (apparently they thought that he was a big chiwawa??) I have changed his name to Nanuk. He is much happier with that name… I do have more pics, but I work on a computer all day, and love being outdoors as soon as I get home so never really get around to uploading them. I promise I will post more as he grows because pics are fun!

Touching story bud, good on ya for rescuing. Makes me angry at some people for their irresponsibility, neglect and ignorance. Hope everything works out and remember patience is the key.

Way to go rescuing him! You have a huge heart to do that, and to put in the work involved too! I'm sure he knows how lucky he is to be with you.
:)

Thanks, he is settling in really good. He is a huge sweetheart. Wakes me up everymorning at 5:58am by ninja crawling over to me and licking my face to get up. 5:58 on the dot...not a min sooner or later! He then requires his morning belly rub.

I love his mask he is a beaut...

Thanks I love it too.

Thanks to everyone else too for your kind words! I feel very welcome here :grouphug:

Hi,

A great big welcome to your new member, Nanuk-good idea about changing his name :clap: Thats such a wonderful story! There's nothing wrong with adopting a pup from a breeder (still adopting from its litter), but sooooo glad you rescued this bright, happy, energetic life-you gave him another chance to believe in people! That was very responsible for you:up: to take your children to the humane society to walk dogs and show them whats involved with in caring for a pet, a family member by letting them take part in hands on training-thats the best kind! They will always remember that growing up and may even do that with their children. ;) This isn't a sad story about a pup who at such a young age, is in his 3rd home, but rather it is a success story of a pup who found the RIGHT home, his forever home! :bouncy:

Hi,

Oh my gosh - what a lovely introduction!

Welcome to the forum and hope you won't do too much 'lurking' in the future; we're an individual bunch but pretty sane in my opinion, so feel free to post your anecdotes of good, and not so good days! :D

so feel free to post your anecdotes of good, and not so good days!

I will for sure! The first year was research, research, research...now its time to put the theory to practice and give Nanuk the great life that he needs and deserves. thanks everyone for the warm welcome, its strange because I have been on this site since last February, so I feel like I know all of you on some level, but you don't know anything about me. I will make an effort to join in as much as I can in the next while so you can learn about me too!