How do u know it's a show dog?

mydiamond

I talked to a long time breeder who's husband is a sibe breeder judge. They've done some seminars to teach other judges about the breed. They brought in an agouti and MOST of the judges (judges who have judged sibes before mind you) thought it was a rare breed and not a siberian! It's too bad judges don't remember sibes can be any color!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to a long time breeder who's husband is a sibe breeder judge. They've done some seminars to teach other judges about the breed. They brought in an agouti and MOST of the judges (judges who have judged sibes before mind you) thought it was a rare breed and not a siberian! It's too bad judges don't remember sibes can be any color!

wow I never thought some judges can be so uneducated :eek:

This is one of the reasons I have issues with judged shows. Some of it is "flavor of the day", some of it depends on the "opinion" of the judge and some of it is the ignorance of the judges, even if they're supposed to know the breed. Then when a "pretty" dog wins, it's that dog, and others that look like it, that end up ruling the appearance of the breed for the next few years. Thing is, pretty doesn't mean a good working dog. It's not just sibes either, but a lot of breeds that have this problem.

Ultimately I think the judges in shows should be breed specific, OR if they want to vary what they judge, prove they know and understand the breeds they judge (although even then, there's issues).

My friend and I pretty much agree that shows that judge conformation should only be one part of what gets a dog their championship. Yes, dogs should have good conformation, but they should also be able to do the work they were created to do (herding, pointing, flushing, pulling, guarding, etc).

It's seminars like this that will ultimately more widely educate all breed judges...because no matter what there is no one person that will fully know each breed to the extent that they know the breed they started in. That should not be a reason to stop showing, just you start to learn which judges are good for you and which aren't.

Yeah, sadly they can. I'm not sure exactly how judges expand the amount of breeds they can judge, but I know they have to have at least 12 years showing dogs before hand! I wish they would keep a copy of the standard for each breed on hand and just look it over real quick before judging. Like normally a judge only looks at the front teeth on a sibe to make sure they have the correct scissor bite. I was at a show this weekend and one of the judges looked at the sibe's whole mouth like she was counting teeth, which you don't need to do with this breed. So I think having a little reminder about some of the more important features of each breed on hand would help out a lot.

I think a lot of judges know what good structure and movement looks like and that's what they mainly judge. Breed color, coats, and heads are probably places where they are more fuzzy about the details.

I went to a national dog show once... the judge was "imported" from out of the country and they change judge for every breed (guess it means they're not all-breed judges) so I thought "woooo hoooo I'm looking at a husky expert" but after reading this I realize that the judge is actually very disappointing because she doesn't even check the dogs' teeth to see do they have the correct scissors bite or not =\ and when the dogs are taking a lap around the red carpet she's not even watching :facepalm:

Yeah, sadly they can. I'm not sure exactly how judges expand the amount of breeds they can judge, but I know they have to have at least 12 years showing dogs before hand! I wish they would keep a copy of the standard for each breed on hand and just look it over real quick before judging. Like normally a judge only looks at the front teeth on a sibe to make sure they have the correct scissor bite. I was at a show this weekend and one of the judges looked at the sibe's whole mouth like she was counting teeth, which you don't need to do with this breed. So I think having a little reminder about some of the more important features of each breed on hand would help out a lot.

I think a lot of judges know what good structure and movement looks like and that's what they mainly judge. Breed color, coats, and heads are probably places where they are more fuzzy about the details.

Judges from breeds (like Dobermans) where missing teeth are an issue tend to count teeth!

I disagree, however, that a lot of judges know what good movement is - I've seen way too many dogs with exaggerated side movement (most commonly), for example, get put up over a less flashy and more correct dog...

Judges from breeds (like Dobermans) where missing teeth are an issue tend to count teeth!

I disagree, however, that a lot of judges know what good movement is - I've seen way too many dogs with exaggerated side movement (most commonly), for example, get put up over a less flashy and more correct dog...

Completely agree!