Siberian Huksies are "High Risk" ???

Sakutama

I just found out Siberian Huskies often make the "High Risk" checklist for several insurance companies, I was absolutely shocked! Understandably they are high energy dogs and they can chew there way into a lot of trouble if not properly exercised and cared for. But to my knowledge they are by far one of the friendliest dog breeds out there. Is anyone else surprised by this? One website even said:

"Due to their degree of aloofness toward humans, many Siberian Huskies do not do well with young children. In tune with their pack dog heritage, this breed is more apt to nip than some other dog breeds. The Siberian Husky does not normally appreciate the cuddles and direct interactions that children typically offer; a husky will find these close interactions overwhelming and this can lead to dog bites involving youngsters. In fact, the Siberian Husky is deemed a “high bite risk†breed by many house insurance companies as a result of their tendencies toward aloofness. As a result, anyone considering a Siberian Husky will want to investigate whether their home insurance company has any breed restrictions in place involving this particular dog breed.

Honestly...i'm kind of in shock about this, should I be? It just doesn't sound right.

:(

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/insurance/11-dogs-that-could-raise-your-insurance-costs.aspx

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just found out Siberian Huskies often make the "High Risk" checklist for several insurance companies, I was absolutely shocked! Understandably they are high energy dogs and they can chew there way into a lot of trouble if not properly exercised and cared for. But to my knowledge they are by far one of the friendliest dog breeds out there. Is anyone else surprised by this? One website even said:

"Due to their degree of aloofness toward humans, many Siberian Huskies do not do well with young children. The Siberian Husky does not normally appreciate the cuddles and direct interactions

Hmm sounds more like the insurance just wants more money if you own a husky, but would love to know if they actually go and see a family owned by a husky in order to make these things up??

the quote from that website about bite risk is daft but as far as huskies being "high risk" i would hazard a guess that it is more about escaping and running away. the bird went missing for two weeks and i had to inform insurance (for a payout if she was never recovered).. i got the bird back and never claimed but when it came to renewal time they tried upping the monthly payment by about 15 quid a month!

Sense I don't have personal experience with this breed, and I am still in the homework stage and researching everything I can, I really appreciate your thoughts! It broke my heart seeing the Husky on such a list. I can be understanding if it's for destructiveness, escaping, or howling...natural Husky things to do when they don't have enough exercise and stimulation. But a bite risk? Just doesn't sound typical Husky at all. :(

The only time i've ever had a bite from a Husky is when i tried to stop the 2 boys from fighting and i got a tooth through my boot and into the top of my foot, but once he knew it was me he bit he let go and they both stopped fighting (More my fault than his as i should have kept everything away from the sharp end) ;)

This one is getting to me too...it's kind of contradicting itself.

"Very energetic and intelligent dogs. Not considered a good guard dog because of its personality characteristics and gentle temperament. A 2000 study of dog bites resulting in human fatalities in the U.S. found fifteen such fatalities (6% of the total) were caused by "husky-type" dogs between 1979 and 1997.

Weight: 44-66 lbs.

Origin: Alaska

http://www.petsdo.com/blog/top-ten-10-most-dangerous-dog-breeds"

And "Husky-type" dogs can be a lot of dogs: a confusion with a Malamute, Husky mixes, even wolf/husky mixes. :(

I think what bothers me most is people who don't know this breed are probably reading the same websites I am. I don't know about Japan, but if I was in the US it would lead me to believe a lot of people I meet in the park think I have a dangerous dog breed. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed they are more understanding here in Japan, especially with the Akita being so popular and loved here (and they are considered dangerous dogs in the US too!). Even my father-in-law had an Akita when he was a kid!

How odd, that totally contradicts the sites I look at. Particularly the iams breed selector, I looked at that alot as it was simple to use and quite useful. Said huskys were people friendly and a non aggressive dog to dog breed. However not every dog will fall into categories stated for their breed and this is true for any dog breed not just hudkies and IMO for people too!

This one is getting to me too...it's kind of contradicting itself.

"Very energetic and intelligent dogs. Not considered a good guard dog because of its personality characteristics and gentle temperament. A 2000 study of dog bites resulting in human fatalities in the U.S. found fifteen such fatalities (6% of the total) were caused by "husky-type" dogs between 1979 and 1997.

Weight: 44-66 lbs.

Origin: Alaska

http://www.petsdo.com/blog/top-ten-10-most-dangerous-dog-breeds"

And "Husky-type" dogs can be a lot of dogs: a confusion with a Malamute, Husky mixes, even wolf/husky mixes. :(

I think what bothers me most is people who don't know this breed are probably reading the same websites I am. I don't know about Japan, but if I was in the US it would lead me to believe a lot of people I meet in the park think I have a dangerous dog breed. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed they are more understanding here in Japan, especially with the Akita being so popular and loved here (and they are considered dangerous dogs in the US too!). Even my father-in-law had an Akita when he was a kid!

Hang on! Huskies at number 4 on the list! (nice picture though) i think the list has been made up by a cat ;) having said that i'm sure its more that 15 fatalities lol

In tune with their pack dog heritage, this breed is more apt to nip than some other dog breeds.

Gosh this site is misleading :( I can't believe what am I reading :confused: what is the correlation between pack dog heritage and tendency to nip? :S: If you want a dog that likes to nip, get a herding dog! (I'm not saying that herding dogs are aggressive, but it's in their blood to herd anything that runs away from them so they might lightly nip your heels to herd you) And plus, what is that "high bite risk" thing? ANY DOG THAT HAS TEETH CAN BITE! Even Grandma's tiny Chihuahua can snarl and bite if they're being provoked! :duh:

I really don't like how people view our lovely beloved breed =\ just because they have an extraordinary appearance they're labelled as "dangerous". They may be slightly destructive since they're born with boundless energy which often results in destroyed home if not exercised properly, but I really don't think that alone would make it alright to label this dog as "dangerous" =\ besides, what are dangerous breeds??? :confused: any dog, no matter the breed, can be dangerous. There's always a "X Factor" that made a dog untrustworthy near humans, but labeling an entire breed as "dangerous" is just..... ridiculous -.-

Sorry for the rant =\ it was unexpected x)

Hang on! Huskies at number 4 on the list!

I know, right? :duh:

My poor husband had to hear me have a rant about it, too. But sense i'm still kind of new to this breed, it is really reassuring i'm not the only one flabbergasted. Of course I know these websites have it wrong, what's bothering me is people who are reading them doing breed research like I was...and possibly believing it! :duh:

How odd, that totally contradicts the sites I look at. Particularly the iams breed selector, I looked at that alot as it was simple to use and quite useful. Said huskys were people friendly and a non aggressive dog to dog breed. However not every dog will fall into categories stated for their breed and this is true for any dog breed not just hudkies and IMO for people too!

Personality:

Gentle and playful but willful and mischievous; a puppy at heart. Clever, sociable and loving. Easy going and docile. Good with children. Friendly with strangers- -not a watchdog. Patient, consistent training is needed with this willful, but highly intelligent, breed. This dog will take advantage if he can!

Behavior:

Children: Good with children.

Friendliness: Loves everyone.

Trainability: Slightly difficult to train.

Independence: Fairly independent.

Dominance: Low.

Other Pets: Good with other pets if raised with them from puppyhood.

Combativeness: Friendly with other dogs.

Noise: Likes to howl.

Indoors: Very active indoors.

Owner: Not recommended for novice owners.

http://www.iams.com/pet-health/dog-breeds/siberian-husky

Yep...if they want to generalize a breed, I think they are doing it in all the wrong ways with this breed! :confused:

"Huskies" and sometimes "Siberian Huskies" are frequently on dangerous dogs lists, and WILL sometimes be more expensive with homeowner's insurance. Some of it will be because there are so many dogs out there that fit the generic husky type, such as Mals and Akitas (not to mention the occasional wolf/dog hybrid). Others that bite may well be pure Siberian but poorly bred or that weren't properly socialized as puppies and/or trained as older dogs. We've all seen the posts on here from people who have a puppy or dog that was taken from it's mom and litter too young to learn bite inhibition, and the people are having trouble with it playing too roughly, or where it's actually intimidating one or more members of the family... That's how it too often starts, sadly...

one of the reasons i decided on a Husky was the 'great family pet, good with children' Zeus has never growled or nipped orbitten any of us, and when my friends children are around he lies down and lets them lay on him and never warns them off, i trust him 100% unlie my nasty nippy Westie who even scares me lol

when our insurance company came to check our plumbing we had to hide Sonoma (aka; take her to the pet store :)) because they said when we bought the house that Hammer (our other dog, GSD/Sibe mix) should be listed as "mixed breed" so as to not increase our insurance. It's BULL!

"Due to their degree of aloofness toward humans, many Siberian Huskies do not do well with young children. In tune with their pack dog heritage, this breed is more apt to nip than some other dog breeds. The Siberian Husky does not normally appreciate the cuddles and direct interactions that children typically offer; a husky will find these close interactions overwhelming and this can lead to dog bites involving youngsters. In fact, the Siberian Husky is deemed a “high bite risk†breed by many house insurance companies as a result of their tendencies toward aloofness. As a result, anyone considering a Siberian Husky will want to investigate whether their home insurance company has any breed restrictions in place involving this particular dog breed.

Honestly...i'm kind of in shock about this, should I be? It just doesn't sound right.

:(

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/insurance/11-dogs-that-could-raise-your-insurance-costs.aspx

That whole thing about nipping and children has to be the dumbest thing ive ever read lol. Did they even put the right breed name in there because that doesnt seem like a husky at allll

This is all blocks (oops I can't spell :whistling:) - can we add humans to the dangerous dogs list? Much of what happens is down to the owner / keeper / ignorant human. NO WAY is a Husky (even including Mals, Akitas, various crosses etc) the 4th most dangerous dog in the world. If you include crosses, then every other breed must include crosses also.

They base these lists on a skewed ratio.

(The number of AKC registered purebred dogs) is your base. From there they take all the dog bite reports and pull the breed listed from it. This includes non registered, non purebred crosses, and dogs that just happen to look like they may have some husky in them. This also includes strays and abandoned animals wandering around.

Then using those two very different numbers they get the percentage of the breed that seems to be aggressive. It's one of the reasons that the Pit Bull generally ranks so high on these sorts of lists. If I recall correctly there are less than 2,000 registered (which would be your base number), and of all of the bites that are reported there's no documentation regarding whether or not the ones biting are the ones that are actually registered.

More likely to be high risk for insurance purposes because of their tendency when bored to be destructive or if let loose or opportunity to escape their tendency to run off and lack of road awareness. A friends Husky X ran out of their house as someone was leaving and got hit by a car. Dog bruised but car damage £300.

We have been with the same insurance company for 7 years, they came to the house to meet the dogs and that is how they evaluated as to what insurance we were going to need. Once they met them, the adjuster jokingly stated " oh yea, I am afraid for my life". It ended up, we didn't need extra insurance. Our insurance agent mentioned to us, it is based on the underwriters and what type of dog "they" own. He is 3rd generation of owning the insurance company. Hope this article we posted helps with any questions.

Husky Lovers in Vermont:doglick:post-9324-13967820147475_thumb.jpg

post-6713-13586030983261_thumb.jpg

post-6713-1358603098696_thumb.jpg

post-6713-1358603099108_thumb.jpg

post-6713-13586030994481_thumb.jpg

A *certain news programme* ran a piece a few months ago (see another thread which I cannot remember the link to) that claimed that Huskies were worth appr. £2k (UK sterling) each. Thus making them prime targets for abduction / theft

We have been with the same insurance company for 7 years, they came to the house to meet the dogs and that is how they evaluated as to what insurance we were going to need. Once they met them, the adjuster jokingly stated " oh yea, I am afraid for my life". It ended up, we didn't need extra insurance. Our insurance agent mentioned to us, it is based on the underwriters and what type of dog "they" own. He is 3rd generation of owning the insurance company. Hope this article we posted helps with any questions.

Husky Lovers in Vermont:doglick:[ATTACH=full]44972[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]44973[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]44975[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]44976[/ATTACH]

:wtf: are they on about? They evidently know the square root of sod all about Sibes...