Coarse coat? How coarse is coarse?

kper

Ahna has blown her under coat. The soft puppy fur she had is all but completely gone and she is left with a very coarse, very thin outer coat that feels more like petting a long haired pig than a dog (with the exception of her neck which is still soft and fluffy). What I remember with our wooly Kenai is fur that was squiggly shaped and "fairly" soft. This outer coat of Ahna's is straight and very stiff. The stiff, straight hairs and the complete lack of any under coat looks and feels very strange.

These straight hairs are falling out as fast as the under coat was!

Maybe this is completely normal.... we wouldn't know. This is the first short hair husky we've had, I just don't recall any husky looking or feeling anything like this.

I remember petting a short-haired dog (not husky tho) and it feels kinda like that.. Diamond's fur is as soft as a plush toy no matter the season tho! Even if it's shedding period he's still as fluffy as a sheep :lolman: EDIT: maybe it feels weird just because she's your first normal-coated husky? nothing to worry about IMO

Misty had a short coat and after she'd blown it, it was rougher (coarser) than before - which makes sense. Sasha, one the other hand, while she's not a wooly has much longer, denser fur than Misty. I actually keep waiting for Sasha to blow the coat that isn't there - it's that much heavier and she's really soft to the touch.