2 questions

Aya

My friend recently adopted a lab and his almost 4 months old. I told him I would give him all my spare kibble (as some of you guys know, Aya is on an all raw diet, but for the first couple of weeks she wouldn't eat so I bought every premium brand I could get my hands on). Now the question he asked me, and I'm not sure how to answer is: is it okay to feed the 4 month old lab a mix of puppy kibble and adult kibble? or just stick to the puppy till his past 6 months of age? The dilemma is the boy is huge (might have had his growth spurt early), he is bigger than Aya, and she is older by a month.

Second question is: does anybody have a sibe that has random energy bursts? In particular, on cold days or colder days, Aya gets randomly or more energetic, she is calm most days, and even though people have said that they could be a nightmare approaching teenage years, Aya still seems quite relax and calm, only she gets segments of running crazily around the house (she gets 2 walks a day, 30-40 minutes each). Thanks.

About the lab: I heard that there're not too many differences between puppy food and adult food, it's just that puppy food contains more fat (can't remember.. fat or vitamin? or protein? O_O) that every little puppy needs for their growth. Adult dogs feeding on puppy food might suffer from obesity, and puppies feeding on adult foods will suffer from lack of necessary nutritions. I don't like the idea of mixing the two foods honestly but I might be wrong :redface1: The lab puppy needs a good-quality puppy food as he will grow into this biiiiiiiig dog and without the right amount of nutrients he might suffer from lots of illnesses when he grew up. He might even be one of those dogs that suffer from Hip Dysplasia at the age of 12 months old :cry1:

About Aya: every dog varies. Just because all websites on Earth says that a dog would do this and act like that at teenage stage, doesn't mean your experience with teenage stage will be exactly as described. And IMO, 5 months is too early for you to worry about teenage stage. Give her 1-2 more months, and then she'll hit teenage stage :P who knows, those months might be as hellish as everyone says :rolleyes: but don't you worry, if you experience a real scary nightmare once, you'd be able to handle every other nightmares easily ;) now back to topic: do huskies has random energy bursts? OH YES YOU BET :P let the temperature drop a bit and there goes your angelic, calm, controllable husky :lolman: Diamond literally dig holes in my yard to celebrate colder weather :eek:

About the lab: I heard that there're not too many differences between puppy food and adult food, it's just that puppy food contains more fat (can't remember.. fat or vitamin? or protein? O_O) that every little puppy needs for their growth. :redface1: The lab puppy needs a good-quality puppy food as he will grow into this biiiiiiiig dog and without the right amount of nutrients he might suffer from lots of illnesses when he grew up. He might even be one of those dogs that suffer from Hip Dysplasia at the age of 12 months old :cry1:

OH YES YOU BET :P let the temperature drop a bit and there goes your angelic, calm, controllable husky :lolman: Diamond literally dig holes in my yard to celebrate colder weather :eek:

I understand the difference between adult and puppy is more fat, protein and calcium which are needed for growing pups, and that would be okay if the Lab wasn't already big. I'm just scared that feeding the boy puppy kibble will make him grow too fast, as he is already big, and will cause joint issues later in life. I'll probably recommend my mate to go see a vet.

LOL, Aya does that too, which is why when it rains, she is not allowed outside, I keep her indoors most days anyway, but I tend to let her outside on sunny days. As soon as it rains, and she gets out, I have to give her a shower, she digs and plays in the mud and gets bloody too dirty. Thanks for your input, always appreciated.

I understand the difference between adult and puppy is more fat, protein and calcium which are needed for growing pups, and that would be okay if the Lab wasn't already big. I'm just scared that feeding the boy puppy kibble will make him grow too fast, as he is already big, and will cause joint issues later in life. I'll probably recommend my mate to go see a vet.

LOL, Aya does that too, which is why when it rains, she is not allowed outside, I keep her indoors most days anyway, but I tend to let her outside on sunny days. As soon as it rains, and she gets out, I have to give her a shower, she digs and plays in the mud and gets bloody too dirty. Thanks for your input, always appreciated.

(still about the lab hehee) naah don't you worry. Puppy foods won't make him grow into a monster LOL height/weight is pretty much determined by genes. Puppy food is only helping him to fulfill his nutrition needs ;)

I agree on sticking with the puppy food. And yes, my Echo goes through bursts of energy. She was still a bit sleepy at 5 months, but then about 1.5 months later, she went into her first heat and hit her teenage stage and she was quite a nutty girl during that time! Since being spayed, she's still had a decent amount of energy, however, recently, with the warm weather coming, she has calmed down and when we have cool days, she's back to being hyperactive! I never know what's coming next though, because she even has bursts when it's a little warmer. Definetly keeps me on my toes! Doesn't help when you have someone in the house who loves to get her riled up LOL

I'm with Sarah on the lab

As for mine, I actually appreciate warmer weather as it brings calmer dogs lol perverse I know but dew filled early walks with birds tweeting, blue sky and a promise of a beautiful day on its way are amazing