Protien % in dog food

Lavs

I have heard lots of things about protien affecting your dogs behaviour, too much causes kidney problems, blah blah, but I'm wondering if any of this is true? I'm assuming the amount of protien in food will affect energy levels but does protien affect behaviour? What is a good % of protien for a puppy/dog food and what is too high/low?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too sure on this one.. but our food has 32% protien and while we are working the dogs this is fine but if you dont run them then i can imagine that a high protien diet would effect their behaviour as they would have too much energy... not sure about the pup think they need a high protien away but not sure on %.

I'm sure someone will be able to answer soon who knows more than me :)

Protein affects the energy levels and in older dogs can overwork the kidneys. The food I have Kiska on is 18% protein which is fairly low. Her puppy food was 30% and she was moved onto the 18% adult food when she was just under a year. She's a very chilled out dog and doesn't have boundless energy, which I do partly put down to this lower protein level as she can get a bit hyperactive if she gets a big treat. If your dog/dogs are just pets I would suggest looking for a lower level of protein. For puppy food I'd look for 28-34% and for an adult food I wouldn't feed higher than 22% personally, and I am more than happy with the 18% food she's currently on.

Well a while back, I was told that they put vitamin D3 in dog food, it's what they put in rat poisoning. That's what I was told anyway.

Where did you hear this? What dog food do they put this in? All dog food? Some dog food?

This type of information, that is unsupported, amounts to hearsay and nothing more. Unless you have the facts to support such a statement, it adds nothing to the topic. The topic pertains to protein in dog food, how much is too much, how much is too little. Not whether or not D3 is used as an additive.

Let's keep the topic on topic, because it is a very good topic and deserves posts that pertain.

I'm a bit freaked out actually.. as i was Literally just thinking about how much protein Kai should be getting.. and then there is a post on it!! He's having NatureDiet at the moment.. which is only about 10% protein.. which is what made me question it too.. I think Kai's probably having too little protein at the moment. I did ask a woman in a pet shop a few weeks ago about moving him onto Orijin as it seems great but she said he would have too much energy as the protein levels are high=/. but nevertheless great thread!

I feel a bit stupid and confused now actually aswell.. as i've been researching protein levels now.. and somebody has wrote

The protein level in Naturediet is 11%

Remove percentage of moisture from the diet (75%)

Divide the amount of protein (11) by the total dry matter left (25) and multiply by 100; this will give you the true amount of protein.

11/25 x 100 = 44

Therefore Naturediet actually contains 44% protein. O.0

( http://www.naturediet.co.uk/Factfiles/ND_FACT_ComparisonProteinLevels_DryMoistFood.pdf )

This is all really confusing me.. so i've gotta say again, this is a great thread.

Ok, now I'm confused too! I thought the level of protein was what's stated on the packet. Wainwrights puppy salmon and potato is 30% protein to start with, surely it can't be any higher?

Well this is what i thought.. But i was also confused as to why it said naturediet was only 10-11 percent protein content as from the ingrediants i expected it to be higher... apparently its alot higher then 10 percent cus there is so much moisutre (75%), and with dry foods, there isn't alot of moisture, so the protein levels which is stated on kibble isn't far off what it actually is ( as there isn't much moisture ) =/

From what i've read somebody write

You should take away how much moisture is in the food

and then divide the protein content by the dry matter and then x100 to get the actual protein amount :S

so wainrights salmon and potato would be

92% dry matter, as it has 8% moisture

so we do 30/92x100 =32% protein.

*head explodes*

Lol, you're maths is better than mine. Thanks.

So 32% is around the norm for a pup and shouldn't create extra energy. BUT this is way too much for a non working adult husky, their needs for protein are reduced. 18% or there abouts is a typical level. Thanks Nadine, Liz, and Steph. I think I get it now.

Lol, you're maths is better than mine. Thanks.

So 32% is around the norm for a pup and shouldn't create extra energy. BUT this is way too much for a non working adult husky, their needs for protein are reduced. 18% or there abouts is a typical level. Thanks Nadine, Liz, and Steph. I think I get it now.

Yeah your pup should be fine on that protein level.. but 32% probably would be too much for an adult non working husky.. and as Kai isn't worked.. i'm now mega confused as apparently naturediet is 44% protein.. oh dear o.0 lol! no problem though :D

:confused: ok I must've messed something up because the way I did it shows my food having 171% protein. . .I think something valuable in my poor brain just fizzled and died :confused:

To add to the post I'm also confused about the protein thing. So if your dog is none working and just a pet will 35% cause kidney problems in the future? Their energy level is totally fine on that percent but if it will cause health problems I would like to try and address that.

Autarky chicken an rice adult is 22% and the adult lite 17%? Their puppy food is 28%

We've been using it for almost two years now with good results

Just started feeding my two the Autarky adult and they love it. Get it from Costco and it costs less than Chappie and is a far superior product.

Just started feeding my two the Autarky adult and they love it. Get it from Costco and it costs less than Chappie and is a far superior product.

Ooooh I wasn't aware it was available in Costco. A friend of my sons works gun dogs and put us on to it. Out of interest, how much do you pay from Costco? We pay £18:50 for chick an rice and £19:50 for salmon an rice

My 2 year old female is on and off with kibble, I put down some Naturediet and she loved it. :)

This would be good for her as I could rotate the flavours but now reading about the true high protein levels being at 44% rather than 9-11% concerns me :cry1:

Oh my word!

I have complete brain ache now, and I was actually trying to figure out earlier today whether mine might be having too much protein. Tikka isn't affected, but Malakai is bouncing around all the time.

I have them on Arden Grange Puppy and Orijen puppy (they have two brands because they will refuse to feed if they have the same one all the time :rolleyes:). So anyway, Orijen puppy has a minimum of 42%, and the adult has 38%. The Arden grange puppy has 26%, and the adult has the same.

I'm rubbish at %'s, and reading all your posts has just made it worse lolol!! Anyway, I'm guessing that the Orijen is too high in protein for my two seeing as I don't run them??

Confusing :confused:

Oh my word!

I have complete brain ache now, and I was actually trying to figure out earlier today whether mine might be having too much protein. Tikka isn't affected, but Malakai is bouncing around all the time.

I have them on Arden Grange Puppy and Orijen puppy (they have two brands because they will refuse to feed if they have the same one all the time :rolleyes:). So anyway, Orijen puppy has a minimum of 42%, and the adult has 38%. The Arden grange puppy has 26%, and the adult has the same.

I'm rubbish at %'s, and reading all your posts has just made it worse lolol!! Anyway, I'm guessing that the Orijen is too high in protein for my two seeing as I don't run them??

Confusing :confused:

but i've heard orijen is IT for kibble like the best of the best. maybe supplement them with another kibble mixed in (with a lower protien %)? I do that with Hammer, my GSD mix, to save money but also so he gets good food. I mix TOTW with Pro Plan, bc he eats way more than my sibe pup, who is strictly on TOTW.