Protien % in dog food

Lavs

Usually, the back of the bag will contain instructions for how much of the food to feed your pet. These should be used only as very rough guidelines. Your dog’s size, growth level, and activity level will greatly influence the amount of food he or she needs. Adjust food levels as necessary for a thin or obese dog. Don’t be afraid to feed a different amount of food than what’s recommended on the bag.

pet food

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feed Acana - Wyatt gets Pacifica at 33% protein, while Scout gets Light & Fit at 35%. I've been very happy with this brand - coat quality and overall health/activity levels are very good. Seem to be pretty standard amounts for high quality foods.

My 2 year old female is on and off with kibble, I put down some Naturediet and she loved it. :)

This would be good for her as I could rotate the flavours but now reading about the true high protein levels being at 44% rather than 9-11% concerns me :cry1:

I feel your pain! lol.. this is the very same thing im now confused about =/

Oh my word!

I have complete brain ache now, and I was actually trying to figure out earlier today whether mine might be having too much protein. Tikka isn't affected, but Malakai is bouncing around all the time.

I have them on Arden Grange Puppy and Orijen puppy (they have two brands because they will refuse to feed if they have the same one all the time :rolleyes:). So anyway, Orijen puppy has a minimum of 42%, and the adult has 38%. The Arden grange puppy has 26%, and the adult has the same.

I'm rubbish at %'s, and reading all your posts has just made it worse lolol!! Anyway, I'm guessing that the Orijen is too high in protein for my two seeing as I don't run them??

Confusing :confused:

I think i confused myself when i was writing it out aswell lol.. Having read that naturediet is a lot higher in protein than i thought it was.. has worried me a little.. Talking about Orijen though.. i know that so many people use it and their dogs seem fine on it.. though it does sound like its too high in protein.. i actually wanted to move Kai onto it not long ago.. but a vet advised me not too as she said it would be too high in protein for him =/ *brain explodes* lol

I feel your pain! lol.. this is the very same thing im now confused about =/

I think i confused myself when i was writing it out aswell lol.. Having read that naturediet is a lot higher in protein than i thought it was.. has worried me a little.. Talking about Orijen though.. i know that so many people use it and their dogs seem fine on it.. though it does sound like its too high in protein.. i actually wanted to move Kai onto it not long ago.. but a vet advised me not too as she said it would be too high in protein for him =/ *brain explodes* lol

At least your vet has heard of Orijen.....mine hasn't! Took Tikka for her booster yesterday and was chatting to the vet about a payment plan they have started. She told me I could get 10% off the dogs' food if I order through them, then said she hadn't heard of it :rolleyes:. I think I'll probably just keep mine on the two they eat. They seem ok on it, then when they're on the adult food, I'll just keep an eye on them and change if I need to :D

It is curious though - I was aware of the fact that the amount of protein in the food can affect behaviour, however, what do you do if you have a dog with a sensitive tummy?

Mine, for example, tolerates very well high protein foods, such as Orijen, Acana (both the grainless variety and the regular one), but generally tends not to do very well when fed a food with a high cereal content. And as far as I am aware, most foods that you will find out there will a low cereal content, will pretty much have high protein due to the fact that there will be more meat in it.

Now, Acana has about 30% protein and ours is only moderately active. He is not, however, jumping on walls and behaves quite normally, I would say.

At least your vet has heard of Orijen.....mine hasn't! Took Tikka for her booster yesterday and was chatting to the vet about a payment plan they have started. She told me I could get 10% off the dogs' food if I order through them, then said she hadn't heard of it :rolleyes:. I think I'll probably just keep mine on the two they eat. They seem ok on it, then when they're on the adult food, I'll just keep an eye on them and change if I need to :D

opps!! i wrote that at a stupid hour in the morning, didn't realise i wrote vet :o.. i meant some woman who worked at a pet shop ><.. my vets are pretty good though.. so i would hope they would know what orijen is lol..im suprised yours doesn't :S. Yeah :) i don't see any harm in that.. i'm keeping Kai on naturediet for the time being anyway... as he seems fine on it, and seems to love it .. i just think im gonna do a bit more research on all of this before i move him onto something else.