Is Bear's face 'fanning out'?

Emma

I've been watching Bear a lot since we got her and over the last few months I've seen her change quite a lot. As a cross of unknown origin I've been wondering whether she's a husky x or a mally x.

However, the reason i'm posting is because I swear recently her face is starting to fan out at the side of her face by her cheeks. She's 9 months old (approx.) and in excess of 30kg but it's not fat that's spreading, she's not fat anywhere.

What do you think? Am I just imagining it???

Oh and yes it was her who chewed a great big lump out of my stair carpet, that's actually quite small in comparrison with the bottom step! lol.

post-2850-0-85497400-1398050098_thumb.jp

.post-2303-0-46594000-1398062038_thumb.pn

post-1531-0-27695300-1398041880_thumb.jp

post-6386-13586032091177_thumb.jpg

post-6386-13586032106877_thumb.jpg

post-6386-13586032117206_thumb.jpg

yeah, I know she's certainly a crossbreed. Purebred huskies are very different to her.

It's her face shape that I am looking at, I think it's getting like a squashy diamond shape. :confused:

Not sure if I'm just going mad from all the looking?!!!!

I kind of want to say malamute cross German shepherd to be honest. I can see a lot of German shepherd but at that size there's got to be some malamute in there! I'll put my money on GSD x mal or mal x husky x GSD. Kiska's face seemed to do this a bit too but it was just the fur around her face and neck getting thicker :)

I kind of want to say malamute cross German shepherd to be honest. I can see a lot of German shepherd but at that size there's got to be some malamute in there! I'll put my money on GSD x mal or mal x husky x GSD. Kiska's face seemed to do this a bit too but it was just the fur around her face and neck getting thicker :)

Yeah that's kind of the lines I was thinking. A combo of the 3. Glad this happened to kiska too , I wasnt sure if maybe I was imagining it?!

One more vote for Malamute-GSD cross. She's a bit too big to be a husky O_O I know there are some giant huskies but 30 kilos at 9 months old is deffo a mally x) this is IMO tho :oops: one more thing: don't you think she kinda looks like an Akita? A little bit of description about her temperament and behavior would help..

But whatever cross she is Bear is very lovely :)

One more vote for Malamute-GSD cross. She's a bit too big to be a husky O_O I know there are some giant huskies but 30 kilos at 9 months old is deffo a mally x) this is IMO tho :oops: one more thing: don't you think she kinda looks like an Akita? A little bit of description about her temperament and behavior would help..

But whatever cross she is Bear is very lovely :)

Yep, when we got her the rescue centre thought she was probably husky x akita. Personally I think she's husky x mally x gsd.

She is very quiet but can bark and howl if she wants to but rarely does either. She NEVER tires out is constantly on the go getting up to something she shouldn't be. She loves anyone and any dog but doesn't like being taken by surprise. Very stubborn, you must be firm or she ignores u completely. She pulls like a steam train without having to even make an effort. Very smart she gave me a shoe today to get me out of bed to walk her, it wasn't my shoe though!

Vet says her coat and tail are Akita like, her body, build, and stance are husky/ mal, her face is gsd looking, muzzle not narrow enough as full gsd's but narrower than husky. Her coat is thick double coated Not single coat. Very coarse and guard hairs are tri banded. There was something else I was gonna say but forgotten now!

Oh yeah, she doesn't guard the house or alert u when someone is near. Would be a lousy guard dog, she's just too quiet. When she dies bark though it's with excitement and it's LOUD lol

Sorry I made a typing error and hit quote instead of edit

Yep, when we got her the rescue centre thought she was probably husky x akita. Personally I think she's husky x mally x gsd.

She is very quiet but can bark and howl if she wants to but rarely does either. She NEVER tires out is constantly on the go getting up to something she shouldn't be. She loves anyone and any dog but doesn't like being taken by surprise. Very stubborn, you must be firm or she ignores u completely. She pulls like a steam train without having to even make an effort. Very smart she gave me a shoe today to get me out of bed to walk her, it wasn't my shoe though!

Vet says her coat and tail are Akita like, her body, build, and stance are husky/ mal, her face is gsd looking, muzzle not narrow enough as full gsd's but narrower than husky. Her coat is thick double coated Not single coat. Very coarse and guard hairs are tri banded. There was something else I was gonna say but forgotten now!

oh the stubbornness LOL okay, add some husky to the possibility list :P

Forgot to tell you she digs craters everywhere and has trashed my fence panels trying to escape, either under of THROUGH them!

Oh and she teases ice (my sibe) with toys and treats daily!

And to make you laugh, there's a crazy lady round here to keeps congratulating me on my, and I quote "lovely Norwegian Elkhound, I used to breed them. Fantastic dogs, she's definately an elkhound" . lol, :confused: wasn't expecting that comparrison!

Forgot to tell you she digs craters everywhere and has trashed my fence panels trying to escape, either under of THROUGH them!

Oh and she teases ice (my sibe) with toys and treats daily!

And to make you laugh, there's a crazy lady round here to keeps congratulating me on my, and I quote "lovely Norwegian Elkhound, I used to breed them. Fantastic dogs, she's definately an elkhound" . lol, :confused: wasn't expecting that comparrison!

LOL no, won't put Norwegian Elkhound in the possibility list. Kinda worried about that lady btw.. An Elkhound breeder that doesn't know which dog is an Elkhound? :confused:

Thanks for your responses. I know I posted a similar type question before and must be boring the pants off of you all, thanks for putting up with me!

I probably should mention she has webbed feet. I hadn't noticed at first until I spotted a thread about it. I checked Bear and Ice and they both have exactly the same webbing between their toes. Part duck? lol. Bear spends all day outside if I let her but stays out of the sun, she spends all her time in the shady parts of my garden and gets too hot very easily. I suspect this is due to her coat being so coarse and thick.

Here's a couple of pictures to show you her build (recently spayed in the first one).....

post-7782-0-80005800-1398492270_thumb.jp

And the white around her face is spreading out in ghost like pattern. It's almost up to her nose and there are 2 separate spots down by her top lip. they're just salt and pepper like not solid white but I wasn't sure if maybe it would continue to whiten up or remain ghost like. Hard to show you in a picture but i'll try.........

post-7782-0-00255000-1398492327_thumb.jp

....... this is the best one I could find. Can you see how it's recently spread over to her nose? White spot lower down. It's the same on both sides of her face.

post-6386-1358603250578_thumb.jpg

post-6386-1358603250627_thumb.jpg

post-6386-13586032530588_thumb.jpg

second picture down she does look a little akita like lol... im confused lol

Lol, welcome to my world. She literally changes breed just by turning her head. If she looks down she looks mally, looks up she looks gsd, looks to the side she looks American Akita. It drives me insane sometimes!