Fast eat problem

Arthur

We had the same thing with Brooke and brought an anti-gulp bowl .. could only get it on the internet.. Some people have said putting large stones in the bowl does the same thing as they have to eat around them and this slows them down...

Here is the link to the bowl ....http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dogit-Go-Slow-Anti-Gulp-Medium-Black/dp/B0032GG5Z8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1334079588&sr=1-1

You may also find it useful to teach a 'wait' so that you can place the food bowl down in front of him and won't rush to eat it until you give a release command such as "OK".

Other methods that might slow him down until you can get the anti-gulp bowl (which I highly recommend by the way, I used one with Kiska and it was fantastic :) ) include either feeding by hand as you have been doing, or adding a large amount of water to the food so it's like bobbing for apples :P

I had the same issue with mine up to a few weeks ago. She would swallow it exactly as yours in the video! The vet adjusted the food intake a little (she was eating much less than needed) and as soon as we did the adjustment she's now a normal eater. Just a thought, it might be the same situation :)

How do you make your dog a better eater? Sanka is just not fussy about food, he will just take it slowly and when he wants it, normally a few mouth fulls then leaves the rest.

What is your feeding schedule like? Is he free-fed? If so, that could be the problem. If I were you, I'd put the food down for about 15-20 minutes, and if he doesn't eat any of it...tough! He'll have another chance at his next meal. He'll eventually learn that when the food is put down, then he should eat it or he'll starve until the next meal! It worked with Suka, my boy, when he was being a picky boy.

How do you make your dog a better eater? Sanka is just not fussy about food, he will just take it slowly and when he wants it, normally a few mouth fulls then leaves the rest.

Actually, Sanka, that's more the norm for Huskies (I think). I free feed and mine'll go over to the bowl, grab a mouthful, take it away, drop it and then eat each individual kibble ... then may not go back to the bowl for a couple of hours. Even my ACD has finally decided that she doesn't need to guard the food bowl since there always seems to be something in it. Husky's don't seem to need the food that other dogs do and it's easy to overfeed them (resulting in a fat Husky!)

Arthur don't you ever feed that poor puppy? << laughing >> I've never seen a dog go after his food like yours does!

with all the dogs I have owned they have all been free fed and not one of them has had weight issues apart from our spaniel that has recently been spade due to having a male husky,now she has piled weight on, so the food bowl is not left out long and Sankas feeding habit hasnt changed. hes a healthy weight so not worried just everone elses dogs seem to eat as thogh they are never going to see food again. :)

with all the dogs I have owned they have all been free fed and not one of them has had weight issues apart from our spaniel that has recently been spade due to having a male husky,now she has piled weight on, so the food bowl is not left out long and Sankas feeding habit hasnt changed. hes a healthy weight so not worried just everone elses dogs seem to eat as thogh they are never going to see food again. :)

Apparently that behaviour is typical among huskies if they are free-fed or not. Must be a husky thing! :) I guess I just lucked out on getting a husky that eats all of his meals (and ate so much one time, a few weeks after I got him, that he threw up and had horrible diarrhea for days!).

I'll have to be careful with this as we've had this discussion before. Since Husky's tend to be light eaters by nature free feeding seems to be a natural. I've seen other dogs who haven't been free fed who scarf down anything they can get their mouths on, but even they adapt when they realize that they don't have to gobble it because it's always there. Spaniels, for some reason seem to be one of the breeds that can put on weight when you even mention food!

omg watching that i just thought "hey thats soooo sonoma from 8 weeks to 11 weeks until i got THE SAME BOWL!"

crazy how well it works. wait til he starts to lose teeth i noticed when Sonoma started teething she slowed down even more and I think tasted food for the first time! lol