HO 2012 Yearbook; How did you end up with a husky in your life?

Removed #1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone for your contributions so far!!! Thank you Storm & Angels Mum for helping to keep this updated!

I'm on my way to check out and take kid to competition, afterwards the long drive home.

not a problem when im around I can keep it up. :D I like having a job.

What breed do we agree on??

Author: Val (Zebedee)

When Steve & I bought our first home together in 2005, it wasn't long before we talked about getting a dog. In the past, I had had the most wonderful GSD, Sabre, that I had from an 8 week old pup till he sadly had cancer & was released from his pain at 13 yrs old. I secretly always wanted another GSD but the time had never been right. Steve had owned a Staffy called Lady. She had lived with various siblings of Steve's throughout her life as everyone loved her and Steve still has a "thing" for Staffies! Lady was hit & killed by a car aged 17 yrs.

While we were debating which breed, Steve said he didn't want another Staffy as he'd want it to be like Lady, likewise, he thought I would probably want another GSD to be like my gentleman, Sabre. So - what breed to choose??

We were out & about one day and saw this gorgeous bundle of fluff that turned out to be a husky. We looked into breeders etc but every one we contacted gave the same reply "Sorry, they are all sold". Then we found one on the Wirral who had Mum & Dad that we could meet and a few left out of the litter! We arranged to go and see them and see what would happen. Low & behold, there was a peanut brown one that came over to us, chose us and she was still available! So that was it, we had found our husky! She was only 5 or 6 weeks old & leaving her till she was ready to leave her litter was hard - we visited a few times before finally bringing her home in Feb 2006.

We had Myshka for 3 1/2 yrs before we "saw sense" and decided on a playmate for her. We took her to meet a few Northern breed dogs (one was a fab Mal boy called .... Steve!!) :rofl: but they never hit it off. Then we got to hear of a boy in Bangor, N Wales that needed to be rehomed, so off we went.

That is when the gorgeous Diesel came into our lives! Myshka took to him straight away & Diesel followed her everywhere on that first meet - even jumped in to the car after her ... so HE chose us! That was in August 2009. Though things didn't really go to plan - Diesel doesn't know how to play, so ended up ignoring Myshka when she bugged him to play with her. But we knew he belonged with us. He brought a smile to everyone who has ever met him & has a following any human would be envious of!! :P

Steve & I often talked of getting a 3rd, especially as we had started helping out with transport runs for huskies who had been given up for one reason or another & needed to be fostered till a forever home was found and it broke our hearts to see how many were in need of a home. Our very first rescue run was a 10 month old Mal (Buddy, who I fell in love with) and 14 month old husky (Angel, now rehomed here with Storm & Angel's Mum, Louise) but the time wasn't right. It must have been fate as that 3rd place has now been filled by Kaviq, a husky who was 10 months old when he was advertised as needing to get out of kennels within a few days or risk being PTS! We couldn't let that happen, so we drove a 10 hr round trip to near Caerphilly, S Wales to pick him up - and the rest is history!!

My home is full of husky fur (and husky love) and chaos and I wouldn't have it any other way! This breed has got under my skin like no other animal has (and I've had a wide array of pets!!) and I couldn't be happier!!!!

post-9324-0-07327300-1399065228_thumb.jp

post-143-13586032992721_thumb.jpg

It was ment to happen!

By Kim

Few months before I got Marley I kept asking my boyfriend if we could get a dog I wanted a chihuahua at the point he wasn't having none of it that's not a mans dog lol so on his days off I would drag him round dog rescue Homes hoping that we would see a dog that we could bring home after months of going round dog rescues we went into Birmingham dog home was 4:30 we arrived there I remember because they shut at 4:45 n we had 15 mins to look around they have so many dogs there but the first dog I saw was Marley brother black n White husky then we walked down and we saw these bright blue sad eyes soon as I saw him I feel in love with him my 2kids kept saying daddy can we get him so we went down to ask about him they told us to do some research on the breed n ti come back the next day as they was closed now so I come home n sat for hours on my laptop researching Siberian husky I soon found out they wasn't like "normal" dogs the next day soon as it opened we went back to see Marley out his cage n he was fab so we paid our deposit 5 days later we picked him up and he is no settling in nicely with my family got to say you guys have helped me alot with answering my questions and reading information on here this is a fab forum and who ever made should be proud of ur selfs I'm looking forward to shearing n posting mine n Marley journey together

wpost-2850-0-89972400-1399175024_thumb.jp

Thanks Kim

post-7387-13586033209294_thumb.jpg

post-7387-13586033210289_thumb.jpg

How you all, put pics in a post, the way I have to is take my picture and take a screen shot of it, and cut out the pic and then say it, the photo is a 9mp picture when I take it with the camera could that be why?

when you are in the reply box look to the right, next to the little post reply box theres an upload a file button

post-6001-0-41453100-1399882331.gif

All about timing

By Kissu & Aara

I've loved huskies ever since I could read. Something always prevented me from getting one, though. Being too young, having too many animals, and then my mom met a guy, preventing me from the chance of getting one when I was finally responsible enough.

My step dad was not kind to animals. If they were in his way while in a hurry he'd kick them or throw them out of his way. If the dogs counter surfed or the cats jumped on the counter, they would get a thwack to the face with his knuckles.

There was no way I could bring a sibe into our home, what with how stubborn and mischievous I knew they are. My step dad would beat the poor dear more than the others. So I never brought up wanting one.

My mom finally left my step dad when I was 19. But by that time, we had 2 dogs, and my 2 cats. The legal pet limit in Idaho. So, I still didn't bring up wanting a husky.

Not until 3 years later. I had dropped out of high school when I was 17. Living with my step dad and hiding who I was, was taking its toll on me. I felt like crap at home. I hated being home. I loved the productive feeling at school. But when you mix abnormally high anxiety, a low immune system, slight agoraphobia, and stress at home from my step dad all together, you get a near constantly sick teenager.

I worked my butt off on the days I could drag my sorry self to school. But eventually, credit ran low, and I was given the option to drop out, or be kicked out. So I dropped out.

By the time my mom left my step dad, I had a lot of issues. And I mean a lot. They didn't become obvious until 3 years after he was gone. That's when I started seeing a therapist.

After 6 months of therapy, my therapist concluded that I needed something. And it wasn't pills. Those hadn't worked before, anyway.

She said she thought a dog would be good for me. One of my own. But that it would have to be one that brought me out of my shell.

I blurted out "Siberian Husky", and she said if I was up for it, that was perfect. She gave me home work, to go home and research the breed. Of course, I already knew a lot about them, but I did it anyway.

I went back the next week, and told her about the extra responsibilities to take care of a sibe. Told her I was more than willing to do whatever it took to get a Siberian Husky. Even if it meant having to talk to people when I took the dog for a walk. That I would actually be more than happy to talk to people about huskies, and that they're so beautiful, I'd most likely end up talking to a lot of people.

And boy was I right. Of course I was.

The breed seemed so unreachable to me for so long. To me, they seemed as impossible to have as an exotic wild animal. Something I could never have, and could only admire from a far.

I'll have had Kissu for 2 years, on September 11, 2012, and more days than not, I still wake up and can't believe I'm lucky enough to share my life with him. It's a privilege to take care of him and love him.

Whenever I'm having a hard time, and I find myself focussing so much at the negative, Kissu is there to remind me exactly how lucky I am.

All about timing, cause 7 months after I got him, my mom lost her job and we went homeless due to a few additional circumstances. If not for him and my therapist, I know for certain that I'd be in a loony house.

He came into my life at exactly the right time for me. Right when I needed him most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-2444-13586034439741_thumb.jpg

My story.

Robke

We had a German shepherd rescue from the Blue Cross, West Bromwich called Jake he moved with us to Holland and after a well-travelled life of 11 years he passed away, and we said we would not have another dog for a while so after 14 months of emptiness feeling depressed we started looking for a new dog that could fill the void that was left, I looked at a selling site in Holland one Friday evening and saw an advert for a Husky for sale 1 year old about 1 hour away from us, agreed with the lady that we would go and see her on Saturday morning. When we arrived that morning what we saw was a husky in a not to happy state of mind. The young lady told us that she only had 15 mins walk a day because she could not do anymore. I must admit I totally fell in love straight away even though I did not know anything about huskies just knew that they were dogs. But I could not leave her where she was so agreed a fee, in the car we all went and toke her home. Boy did we get a shock after a few days of her getting used to our settling etc. we suddenly had this dog flying everywhere in the house on top of furniture up 2 flights of stairs end of the garden and back again. So we started to do some investigating on the web and got some books and went obedience training and were lucky to meet a dog trainer who had a husky himself, which made live easier, started running with a dog scooter. The change in her was a total 180 deg. turn around. And she was so content but still what we would say lonely.

We went camping in the summer of 2011 and Bindi became friendly with a cross border collie/boerenfox which was so much fun and we realized that she needed a soul mate after the holiday’s. So trawling on the net we went and found Alpha in kennels about 2, 5 hrs. Drive from us. So agreed with them that we would have a “look†to see if the 2 of them liked each other. Well they did so Alpha came home with us after 2 hours being at the kennels going for a walk with the whole pack. Alpha had/has his own problems he just does not like strangers and he hates screaming kids, now with training and asking the neighborhood kid’s to help he is getting over that. He also went to doggy school and did very well. He loves Bindi and is an overall well behaved dog with none of the traits which was the reason he ended up in kennels. Does not chew the furniture, walls or doors. Just likes socks the more the merrier. And we have to hide the dustbin when we leave them alone in the house.

Both of them love running with the scooter and going on long walks.

So now we have a well content pack with the odd scrap but overall a happy pack.

post-11767-0-59317400-1399882857_thumb.j

post-6001-13586034440098_thumb.jpg

i have always loved huskies but had never been in the position to be able to have one util last year when diva came in to our lives we went to see a litter of pups in cambridge with the intention of just looking. when we got to their home we walked in to the kitchen and her greeted by 8 lively little pups all bounding around but one little girl struck us in particular she just sat by my feet and kept pulling on my trouser legs after her doing this for 30 minutes i knew i couldnt leave there with out her and 10 months later diva has grown in to such a bright spark and has been as big a challenge as everyone has said she would be and i dont think i would have any other breed (apart from staffies) we are now getting ready to welcome a second husky but 4th dog into our family called leyka who will be coming from a litter a friend of mine has.

diva post-1531-0-69109900-1401593876_thumb.jp

post-5861-13586036651039_thumb.jpg

i have always loved huskies but had never been in the position to be able to have one util last year when diva came in to our lives we went to see a litter of pups in cambridge with the intention of just looking. when we got to their home we walked in to the kitchen and her greeted by 8 lively little pups all bounding around but one little girl struck us in particular she just sat by my feet and kept pulling on my trouser legs after her doing this for 30 minutes i knew i couldnt leave there with out her and 10 months later diva has grown in to such a bright spark and has been as big a challenge as everyone has said she would be and i dont think i would have any other breed (apart from staffies) we are now getting ready to welcome a second husky but 4th dog into our family called leyka who will be coming from a litter a friend of mine has.

diva [ATTACH=full]48217[/ATTACH]

Do you have a title you'd like added? and how would you like your author name to appear?

Do you have a title you'd like added? and how would you like your author name to appear?

my story

divaandjessie please xx

and lastly could ya post the pic url and I'll add that? I'm having a bit of computer is stupid still

whats that lol