Hello from Kansas City,KS

KayBear

Hello everyone! I found this website about 2 days ago while doing some more pre husky research and have been reading non stop. I am an avid reader when it comes to me wanting to know about something or how to do things.

We are expecting our puppy Makai (muh-ky) around the end of May, hes adorable and we cant wait. My boyfriend and I have wanted a puppy for a long time but have been renting so it wasnt allowed. We finally bought our first home back in January and are finally ready to get one. We have an acre plus so he should have plenty of room to run and play.

I work from home and kind of make my own schedule so potty training and all the other training and attention needed by our little guy should be a little easier on him since I will always be around. I have 4 cats, 2 of which were raised around dogs and the other two have only seen a dog once or twice. They are all pretty laid back and adjust to things fairly well. Well enough blabbing on my part, time for pics!

One day old

[ATTACH]45739[/ATTACH]

One week and 3 days

post-9002-0-41009300-1398334808.jpg

post-7403-13586032380149_thumb.jpg

post-7403-13586032390954_thumb.jpg

post-7403-13586032391187_thumb.jpg

post-7403-13586032391393_thumb.jpg

post-7403-13586032391669_thumb.jpg

Hi Kayla and Makai! Welcome to the best HUSKY forum you're ever going to find anywhere!

Since we're 6,200 strong and scattered across 60+ countries around the world, some of the questions and answers are going to depend on where you live. It helps us a lot if you fill out the location item in the profile ( which you've already done, thank you ) and also pin yourself to the member map at http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/memberMap/

Again, ask whatever you want, we have a great group of people here and we'll try to answer just about anything you want to ask.

Hi Kayla, welcome to the Pack. Cute little guy. Good luck with the cats and a Husky. Does not always work, but since you are getting the Husky as a pup, and you'll be home most of the time, you stand a fairly good chance of having everybody get along. Just be cautious and work with your pup so as your pup is growing, he does not look at the cats as prey. There are several members who have one or more cats, and their Huskies get along fine. Might want to search the forums to get some insight if you need any additional information. Post up some more pics when you have them.

The cat and husky thing was a big deal to me so I did a ton of research on just that subject before making our decision to get Makai. I know everything is going to be a challenge and Im up for it. Like you said, since Im home all the time, we should have a better chance.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. I will have more pics Sunday so I will post them then, so excited!

Hi and a huge :welcome: to the world of the Husky :yahoo:

Life as you know it will never be the same again, but in the best possible way. I like to think I am boss, but sometimes I get the sneaky feeling I am being manipulated by a master at the game.

Hi and a huge :welcome: to the world of the Husky :yahoo:

Life as you know it will never be the same again, but in the best possible way. I like to think I am boss, but sometimes I get the sneaky feeling I am being manipulated by a master at the game.

Yep, there you go, thinking again! We all really know who's boss!!! (( in any house with a Husky! ))

:congrats:

First on buying your Home, and second on getting your new fur baby. We would like to :welcome: you to the Husky Owner's Forum. You will not find a nicer group of Siberian/Dog Loving people anywhere. Ask your questions and you will get all the feed back you will hopefully ever need. Our advice in owning this wonderful breed is there are two rules to remember, 1) You are always Alpha, and Rule 2) Always remember rule number one and you are good to go from there. Can't wait to see more pictures of your new little Makai.

Husky Lovers in Vermont:doglick:

Thank you all! Every week we go to the store and buy something for him so hopefully by the time he gets here we will have pretty much everything to at least start out. We bought his collar and tag today. Had his name engraved into his tag, we were too excited. Almost felt like we were going to get him then lol. I now look forward to Sundays since that's the day we get updated pictures

Welcome!! My hometown isn't far from you, I am originally from the Missouri version of Kansas City! hehe. I live in Japan now, though. Husky puppies can be a lot of work, so please don't hesitate to search this forum for already answered questions, and ask any you can't find. Everyone is very nice and helpful and only want the best for you and your pup. Congrats on getting a house!! I hope we won't be too far behind you on that, we are waiting for a house first as well. Just remember though, that big yard is only as good as the time you spend when your Husky out there! You might want to thing about investing in a springer attachment for a bike for running your Husky and getting all that energy out, it's a great way to let them release their breed traits, and great for bonding too! :)

As for the kitties, my best advice is to not tolerate any rough play between the Husky and the kitties. It's cute when the dog is a puppy, not so cute when the dog grows up! So just be consistent and firm, correct rough handling with cats and reward calmness/tolerance towards the cats. That should pay off considerably when your Husky grows up! I hope this helps!

Congrats and enjoy! :D

Thank you all! Every week we go to the store and buy something for him so hopefully by the time he gets here we will have pretty much everything to at least start out. We bought his collar and tag today. Had his name engraved into his tag, we were too excited. Almost felt like we were going to get him then lol. I now look forward to Sundays since that's the day we get updated pictures

remember to post the pictures here so that we can admire his cuteness together :P welcome to the forum btw, he's gonna be a handful.. But he worth it :D