Did I just see a....??

Sakutama

Husky?!?!

I was parking my bike at the community center where I take my Japanese language class, and a man is walking down the little road towards me with a big dog. I'm so used to the toy dogs being the majority here that I was like "woah...that's a huge dog! I have to stand here and look busy so I can get a better look!" so I fiddled in my purse like I was looking for something as he walked past. I was like...omg...Husky? Malamute? It's one of the two!! I got my camera out and followed him, and luckily he took his dog to the front of the community center for a couple minutes to explore the trees.

I semi-hid near the entrance door and took a couple of pictures while trying not to look like a creeper. Luckily the man looked away in the pictures, otherwise I would have covered his face for his privacy. Sorry random elderly Japanese man I don't know who I took pictures of with your dog today because i'm Husky obsessed and later posted on a Husky forum. :confused:

So what do you think? Husky? Malamute? Keep in mind the man was a little short. And I apologize they are a bit fuzzy.

485323_10151508643250545_634270544_23377276_1417603238_n.jpg

485323_10151508643280545_634270544_23377277_1197013123_n.jpg

485323_10151508643290545_634270544_23377278_654019699_n.jpg

I'll be honest right now...I wanted to just run up to this awesome man and be his best friend for having a Husky or Malamute in Japan. *shakes fist* one day...Japanese language...I will understand you!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pic is too blurry unfortunately.... A close-up pic would really help.. I do speak a little Japanese but I only know a few words so if I was put in your position this is what I'm gonna say "Ano, sumimasen! *points at camera, points at dog, imitate a photo-taking action using hands* ii de su ka?" *takes a good close-up pic quickly and run away* :P:p:p:p

Keep in mind the man is quite short...but the bigness did cross my mind too. I wish I got a better picture. >_<"

pic is too blurry unfortunately.... A close-up pic would really help.. I do speak a little Japanese but I only know a few words so if I was put in your position this is what I'm gonna say "Ano, sumimasen! *points at camera, points at dog, imitate a photo-taking action using hands* ii de su ka?" *takes a good close-up pic quickly and run away* :P:p:p:p

hehe...that might work! I could understand what you wrote by the way. :P But if I ever came across that same man again going to my class every Thursday, that might be...awkward. lol

Keep in mind the man is quite short...but the bigness did cross my mind too. I wish I got a better picture. >_<"

hehe...that might work! I could understand what you wrote by the way. :P But if I ever came across that same man again going to my class every Thursday, that might be...awkward. lol

Oddly enough, so did I and it's been many years since I've seen any Japanese!!! :)

Is it just my eyes or does the dogs tail seem really long fluffy and coiled up?

I'm with you, in that last picture it looks like the tail is looped twice - that's be ONE very long tail on any dog!! We've got to be not seeing it right!

<< feeling really silly - wonder what the gentleman does when the dog decides that he really wants to go somewhere?? >>

Even a little Wales in Japan :) google images of a Samoyed and they have full curl tails that lye on the dogs back

Aye, I had a Samoyed when I was a kid and they do have a tail that's longer than a Husky's ... but unless I'm seeing that all wrong, it looks like his tail goes up, over, down, back, and then up again....

okay, Sakutama go find this guy and get a side view picture of this dog, if you would be so kind!

Looks like majority votes are Malamute! :D

I should have made a poll or something. :P I'm still exited to see one though. Honestly, with the limited space here, the toy dogs are the majority. But these days I am seeing more and more medium/large dogs. I had a shelter volunteer (who was from...England I think?) tell me often when she walks the big dogs, people are very surprised and say "ooki!" which means "big!" - she said there's a general thought that big dog = dangerous. Ironically it's usually the opposite. She said she even gets that reaction when she walks an Irish Setter...and they are not that big!

Sorry, I think I was trying to make a point there somewhere. :confused:

Living in a country where most of the dogs fit in your bike basket, and hearing rumors of large dogs scaring people or getting the "ooki!" reaction...and seeing this sweet old man with a huge (Malamute?) just warmed my heart so when I adopt my Husky...I won't feel so alone! It's foreign if the foreigner does it, if the natives do it, it's normal! I wish I knew a local Husky/Malamute type of group that I could spend time with. But as long as the dogs are here, maybe the local vets and groomers will be comfortable seeing these breeds at the very least.

wonder what the gentleman does when the dog decides that he really wants to go somewhere?? >>

If you look carefully, you will notice he is wearing gloves...and it is NOT cold out! :P The dog wasn't pulling him, in fact he was walking next to him quite contently. But being such a big dog a Husky/Malamute type at that, I am sure there have been moments he needed those gloves on to protect his hands if the right furry thing walked by. hehe But I have noticed that overall, people are much more calm around their dogs here, no drama or getting overly upset. And I see a lot less dogs pulling their people then I did in the USA. Even those little Shiba Inu's are often walking right next to their owners instead of leading the way. They must be doing SOMETHING right here...maybe cultural mentality? Not that these things hold true for everyone, but...hey you never know. :)

I forgot to add, if I see that man again i'll try to be brave and use my baby-level Japanese to ask permission to take a photo...and ask " Shiberian Hasuki? Maramiyu-to?" - I was there almost 2 hours early accidentally because it was my first time going to the community center, because I had to change to the night class. So looks like I had better find something to do without looking like a creeper to try to spot him again.

When I lived in Japan (( US Army, Hokkaido )) I inherited a German Shepherd, no one knew how he got into the country but he was passed every couple of years from one GI living in town to another. The neighbor kids would come over and play with him and he loved it - gentle when they were small but rough and tumble with the bigger (let's say 10 - 12 yo) kids. Someone, at some point, had trained him well. I would go walking around the neighborhood without a leash because he stayed at heel, if I stopped to let someone oo and aw over him, or kids to play with him, we'd relax a little but most of the time he was the perfect walking companion. If I went into the downtown section of Chitose I had to have him on leash, not for our protection and not really to protect anyone else - just for the nerves. And yeh I heard a lot of ookina inu!!!

It always amazed me that the Ainu (native to Hokkaido) with their bear god were afraid of almost any dog that wasn't one of their own.

Eventually, I'm going to get brash enough to ask how it is that you're living in Japan and speak no (or little) Japanese? But I won't get that brazen yet. You're learning, is it difficult for you or easy? I found it one of the easiest languages to learn ... others couldn't hear it right, but then I'd take off weekends or short leaves and spend all my time "on the economy".