Being honest...how bad is the teenage phase in huskies?!

Pigeonairre

depends on the dog

i thought blazes teenage stage was bad but omg skyla was a right terror - blaze was an angel compared to her! he just pushed the boundries of his training

skyla decided she would chew us out of house and home , luckily it only lasted a few months n now shes an angel too :)

its not bad u just have 2 stay firm and consistant

i will simply say this.....

i cant remember theirs....i know it was bad cause i was always saying something like, going to have to take them to a pro for training etc etc...but i cant remember it, all i can remember is all the good times we had when they were supposedly being bad lol :)

i cant remember theirs....i know it was bad cause i was always saying something like, going to have to take them to a pro for training etc etc...but i cant remember it, all i can remember is all the good times we had when they were supposedly being bad lol :)

maybe you just repressed it lol

Can't say I have ever noticed any major changes in ours.Oldest ones are coming up 3 and 4,and are already much calmer than the younger two. Our 2 youngest are just gone 1 and 18 months,and generally need more exercise and play.Between us they are never really left on their own for more than 2 hours ,so have never been destructive.They can all be left outside and don't dig or do any damage.I think all dogs are individuals,no 2 the same.

My two never went through a teenage stage - they are very chilled and relaxed huskies, so we were lucky :) But I am a stay-at-home husky mom so they never really had a chance to get out of hand without me there to correct them.

I'm a SAHHM too and I agree that being here to put a stop to any behavior problems before or immediately when it starts has been a huge advantage for me with Sarah. Behavior management is much easier than correction.

Pigeonairre, it's really hard to say for sure about any particular dog. Has he been neutered? If so that will go a long way toward minimizing the teenage attitude. Has he had any obedience training? Do you know someone knowledgeable about the breed who can go with you to meet the dog?

For us it's been a matter of being consistent in the application of house rules and not putting up with poor behavior. The teenage phase for us was short, maybe a couple of months, and once it was over Sarah was happy to be at the bottom of the social rank.

Kobi has a bit of a rebellious streak (he had fun pulling me round on extra walk this afternoon but he did actually calm down after a while) however i think if you get a rescue dog you will face some issues with them wanting to assert their dominance/push the boundaries as they are in a new environment (perhaps something thats happened to them alot depending on their history).

We've had 2 rescue boys, they've both pushed those boundaries when they arrived and i think (my opinion from my experience) that is was about them finding their feet and their comfort zone as much about trying to boss you around. I think they were looking for routine and in that security too. It certainly seems to have worked for us to give them clear rules and training so that they knew what was expected of them.

Now and then Kobi does push the boundaries a bit but he gets a consistent reaction from us, honestly our teenage kids do the same thing :D

I look at it a little like raising a child through the toddler years, they want to assert their independence and do things their own way and with consistency in your behaviour you'll get through it.

Welcome to the forum (i think we've met somewhere else!) :)

My two never went through a teenage stage - they are very chilled and relaxed huskies, so we were lucky :) But I am a stay-at-home husky mom so they never really had a chance to get out of hand without me there to correct them.

Thank you. I will be a stay at home too, so hopefully that will help

That reminds me o when my baby had colic! She literally cried and cried- was unstoppable, all day. I used to have to take her on mammoth walks in a baby sling, just to get some peace! Then it just passed after 7 months. SHe's 1 and a half now and my husband says he can hardly remember it! I can though lol!

I'm a SAHHM too and I agree that being here to put a stop to any behavior problems before or immediately when it starts has been a huge advantage for me with Sarah. Behavior management is much easier than correction.

Pigeonairre, it's really hard to say for sure about any particular dog. Has he been neutered? If so that will go a long way toward minimizing the teenage attitude. Has he had any obedience training? Do you know someone knowledgeable about the breed who can go with you to meet the dog?

For us it's been a matter of being consistent in the application of house rules and not putting up with poor behavior. The teenage phase for us was short, maybe a couple of months, and once it was over Sarah was happy to be at the bottom of the social rank.

Hi, yes, he has been neutered, so hopefully that will help. Apparently he ended up in foster because he hates being alone and owners were out 8 hours a day. I am stay at home mum, so won't hav that problem. I don'wanton to be over confident about that though- you never know what could happen when he builds his confidence up in a forever home!

Forewarned is forearmed as far as Im concerned! :)

Hi, yes, he has been neutered, so hopefully that will help. Apparently he ended up in foster because he hates being alone and owners were out 8 hours a day. I am stay at home mum, so won't hav that problem. I don'wanton to be over confident about that though- you never know what could happen when he builds his confidence up in a forever home!

Forewarned is forearmed as far as Im concerned! :)

Neutering will definitely help, as will you being there full time. Being there is particularly important for the first few months, particularly for an adult/teen dog. The most important thing is consistency in rules and training commands, an everyone in the home must be on the same page. For example, if the dog isn't allowed on the sofa, everyone has to enforce that rule. Sarah isn't allowed on the furniture and now, at 18 months, she doesn't even consider getting on the sofas.

The good thing is that Siberians are very adaptable and after a couple of months you'll forget he hasn't been with you forever.

I'm thrilled you're here asking for advice before jumping into Siberians. There are loads of great people here with tons of experience, and everyone is happy to help us newbies. IMHO most people have no business with a Sibe and everyone considering a Sibe should be fully aware and ready to accept the commitment they require.

Neutering will definitely help, as will you being there full time. Being there is particularly important for the first few months, particularly for an adult/teen dog. The most important thing is consistency in rules and training commands, an everyone in the home must be on the same page. For example, if the dog isn't allowed on the sofa, everyone has to enforce that rule. Sarah isn't allowed on the furniture and now, at 18 months, she doesn't even consider getting on the sofas.

The good thing is that Siberians are very adaptable and after a couple of months you'll forget he hasn't been with you forever.

I'm thrilled you're here asking for advice before jumping into Siberians. There are loads of great people here with tons of experience, and everyone is happy to help us newbies. IMHO most people have no business with a Sibe and everyone considering a Sibe should be fully aware and ready to accept the commitment they require.

Thank you for your advice. V v helpful. We are still def in consideration stage. Am very tempted and hubby is v taken with idea of husky scooter and husky meets in Wales! Thank you x

Echo was quite nutty, especially before she was spayed, she was a little devil! After her spay, she got better, but she still likes to test her limits.. she is very headstrong and a lot of times it's a constant battle of wills between her and I. I definetly think, slowly but surely, she is starting to grow up and grow out of it.. but I'm not out of the clear yet, lol. Also, I got her around 5 months of age, just before she hit that stage, and she came to me completely untrained with an unknown past and some issues. So like others have said, it could all really depend on the individual, how he/she was raised, etc.

Echo was quite nutty, especially before she was spayed, she was a little devil! After her spay, she got better, but she still likes to test her limits.. she is very headstrong and a lot of times it's a constant battle of wills between her and I. I definetly think, slowly but surely, she is starting to grow up and grow out of it.. but I'm not out of the clear yet, lol. Also, I got her around 5 months of age, just before she hit that stage, and she came to me completely untrained with an unknown past and some issues. So like others have said, it could all really depend on the individual, how he/she was raised, etc.

Thank you. Good info. It feels like we're adopting a human teenager instead of a dog! Will he be wanting to go out clubbing and smoking and start wearing a hoodie?!

;)

Thanks for the message x