What do you do?

Bam79

Kiska is crated. She's not a chewer and I don't think she'd get up to anything while I'm gone but I like to do it because it means if there's ever a situation in the future where I NEED to crate her for whatever reason I know she'll be fine with it. That and it's part of my rent contract (I think). At the moment she's only left while I attend lectures which is not usually longer than 5 hours, but she's been left for up to 8 hours before.

Mine are either left in their indoor/outdoor kennel runs or if in the house, would be left crated. Tux could be left loose in the house for very short periods of time, but he's not used to being in the house alone, so I wouldn't leave him loose for more than a very short period of time.

If I have to leave for a couple of hours I would activate my web cam where I can keep an eye on my 2 along with access to the patio with the large grass pee pad to relive themselves. I never had chewing or any destructive behavior while I'm gone so I'm lucky with my two.

Casper has the living room and kitchen. Although I could probably let him have the whole house, he isn't a chewer, and doesn't seem to show any signs of distress. He usually sits on the windowsill and watched the world go by if it's day time, night time he just sleeps on the sofa. The longest I have left him was 5 hours on an evening, when I got home he was sulking and didn't even look at me! All was forgiven in the morning though :-)

Ryder gets left with a relative, but he's only 9 weeks and I don't really want to be leaving him alone for long stretches of time. Longest I've left him home alone was 15 minutes while I popped to the post office to pick up a parcel. And even then I waited until he was in a solid puppy sleep! I just left him in his bed in the living room. When he's bigger we'll leave him in the kitchen, we're still torn on crating him or not.

I keep ours in the back living room when out as they used to have the kitchen but there was too many things for Brooke to get into :(, the back living room has only a table and chairs in so nothing that can harm them. They are usually not left alone for more than 4 hours..

I work from home, they can be left up to 8 to 9 hours if needed, they do need a good long walk before that and the can roam the house but are normally found on the couch or on the loft landing were it is colder. Do have to hide the bin in the kitchen then as Alpha like to have a look what wonderful stuff we have put in there...:)

Echo has free roam of the house.. of course, everything is dog proofed though before I leave. She has not been crated since I brought her home at 5 months old (and even being so young, she has not torn apart my house). Seems she was not crate trained, and tends to flip out being in a crate.. I am in an apartment, so as long as she is good out of her crate, it's the better option for me. I leave her lots of things to keep her occupied while I'm at work, not to mention she gets sufficient excercise before I leave.

We have a husky proof play yard, when we are only going out for a few hours they can stay loose in the yard...if it's all day or over night they go into their kennel runs....longer we have a pet sitter that comes to make sure they have food/water and exercise/play. We Love our pet sitter, she's the best she'll spend all day with them just to make sure they aren't bored :) she loves the dogs and cares for them almost as well as we do, couldn't ask for more!