So....no job?

Elyse

ARGH!!!!

You might remember when I came on here, all excited, because I got a job as a dog sitter/walker. I went to the interview, and they said it was a 'done deal' and they'd be contacting me later on.

Yeah, they contacted me, but they told me they no longer need help!! FFS, after I went and blew $50 on a background police check (their insurance required it) and wasted my time!

Now I'm looking for jobs again, and the only one that I see that is ANY bit related to Zoology is a 'chicken catcher'. And that one is just stupid - like it sounds!

All the other biology jobs want like 5 years experience and a university degree.

FFS, I hate this economy!!

go back and get reimbursed your 50 bucks. speak to a manager, tell them you were told you were hired and paid out to comply with some hiring requirements. make a scene. i would.

Aye, I think I'd do this, too. Anyplace here in the States that I've had to pay out of pocket was after I was hired and then normally reimbursed. Being a truck driver, I always had to get pre-employment background and drug checks and the company always paid for those.

And I have to ditto this "chicken catcher"?????

I think I will raise crap...though I'm more angry about my wasted time than the 50 bucks!

This is what one of the listings says for 'chicken catcher' :

Education: Not required

Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.): Not required

Experience: No experience

Languages: Speak English

Type of Farm Operations: Poultry and egg production

Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Fast-paced environment, Repetitive tasks, Physically demanding, Hand-eye co-ordination, Bending, crouching, kneeling

Transportation/Travel Information: Vehicle supplied by employer, Willing to travel for extended periods

Work Site Environment: Noisy, Odours

Work Location Information: Remote location, Various locations

Essential Skills: Oral communication, Working with others

Other Information:Chicken catchers URGENTLY required for work at various farms. Work involves extended travelling hours and requires physical stamina and ability.

Start Date: As soon as possible

Salary: $11.30 Hourly for 44 hours per week, Other Benefits

at least a better chicken catcher as what I did a long long time ago...Chicken catcher at the slaughterhouse...what a horrible job that was, could only do it for 6 weeks and was of chicken for about 6 months....

My boyfriend was a chicken catcher for a year while he looked for another job. "Noisy and odours" is the biggest understatement ever. One chicken barn can have over twenty thousand chickens in it, all clucking and pooping. He would come home scratched all to hell by chicken claws and reeking of chicken feces. He kept his work clothes in a garbage bin outside and we bought a second hand washing machine to use for them only. Most overworked and underpaid job ever.

My boyfriend was a chicken catcher for a year while he looked for another job. "Noisy and odours" is the biggest understatement ever. One chicken barn can have over twenty thousand chickens in it, all clucking and pooping. He would come home scratched all to hell by chicken claws and reeking of chicken feces. He kept his work clothes in a garbage bin outside and we bought a second hand washing machine to use for them only. Most overworked and underpaid job ever.

Taylor! You're back!

ugh - thanks for the warning! I think I'd rather work at McDonald's then be one of those...they pay about the same, too.

Always a need for police officers, firefighters or paramedics!!!!!

You realize that these positions all are testing based...you don't just walk up to the fire station and drop off an application. The last time I tested for fire I was competing against 4,000 other equal or greater qualified people. Not an easy field to break into.

ARGH!!!!

You might remember when I came on here, all excited, because I got a job as a dog sitter/walker. I went to the interview, and they said it was a 'done deal' and they'd be contacting me later on.

Yeah, they contacted me, but they told me they no longer need help!! FFS, after I went and blew $50 on a background police check (their insurance required it) and wasted my time!

Now I'm looking for jobs again, and the only one that I see that is ANY bit related to Zoology is a 'chicken catcher'. And that one is just stupid - like it sounds!

All the other biology jobs want like 5 years experience and a university degree.

Sorry to hear this, hey they are many other jobs at the zoo than chicken catcher and I know what you mean by that. But look on the bright side there will be jobs for you, maybe after I find them first then I might share them with you lol:p. But I hope you find you job, do you need help looking?

ARGH!!!!

Husband is in the same boat...for 2 years now. Plenty of ads in our local paper for "cardiologists" and personnel with extended degrees and experience required. So stupid :( Hope things work out for you!

Sorry to hear this, Elyse... I'm having trouble finding a job, as well. I'm either underqualified for jobs (medical/nursing fields and so on) or I'm overqualified, and they don't want to take a chance on me - I might find a better job and quit! Hey, pay me a wage to live on in a reasonably decent job, and chances are I'll stay!!!