Healthy weight?

kmorganp

I was talking on the phone to the lady who runs a Husky rescue about some huskies she had just picked up that were about Kyra's age and she mentioned they were underweight that by 3 months they should weigh 20-25lbs. Well Kyra went to the vet on Monday and she is only 15.5lbs...

It worried me because how she was talking about it made it seem like Kyra is underweight and not being fed as she should. We keep food out for her all the time and she empties her food bowl before we go to bed each night. The vet didn't mention anything about her weight and everyone says she looks to be a very healthy puppy. Could it be because she was the runt of the litter? I just want to make sure...

How large they should be at that age depends on so very many factors... She's female, for one, which would make her quite likely to be smaller than most males of the same age. Additionally, there are a large variety of body-types and sizes in the breed, both as to height and bone-structure, so if she's naturally small and smaller-boned, I would expect her to be lighter than a heavier boned puppy who was going to be taller as an adult. Some dogs, additionally grow much faster for a while, then slow down, and others grow much more slowly and steadily throughout, so what this particular person thinks is "normal" for 3 months may be normal for her experience, but incomplete... Next time you take her in for vaccinations, ask your vet specifically about her size and weight, if you need reassurance.

What kind of food are you feeding? That could possibly be a factor...

Moro is 8mos now and barely 30lbs. We feed him blue wilderness 3 times a day and he does not gain weight and he seems small to me :-( I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The lady we got kyra from didnt feed her dogs on a schedule so kyra doesn't do so well if we put her on one. We fill up her food bowl very morning and it's about 3-4 cups and she usually empties it before we go to bed each night. She just eats a little here and there throughout the whole day.

...and she mentioned they were underweight that by 3 months they should weigh 20-25lbs. .

No typical Siberian weighs 20-25lbs at only three months. It's more like 14-18lbs. This woman at the rescue is grossly misinformed in reference to Siberians.

In terms of diet, Diamond is at the low end of the mass-market quality and protein scale. I'd recommend puppy formulas of Orijen (http://www.orijen.ca) or Evo over anything else out there.

No typical Siberian weighs 20-25lbs at only three months. It's more like 9-12lbs. This woman at the rescue is grossly misinformed in reference to Siberians.

In terms of diet, Diamond is at the low end of the mass-market quality and protein scale. I'd recommend puppy formulas of Orijen (http://www.orijen.ca) or Evo over anything else out there.

Thanks for your input. We are at the lat bit of her food now and I am considering changing it.