A few questions about huskies

Sn0wFlaK

Lol. Thanks ^-^. I've never had a female dog but they have err..menstruation too so they bleed?

& my dad wants to know if Huskies like to chew on furniture. Like some dogs chew furniture all the time unless trained not to . I already told him that a dog can be trained to not chew on furniture.

I've seen videos of them messing up pillows and stuff but my dad's just scared the husky might chew the leg of our baby grand piano lol.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen videos of them messing up pillows and stuff but my dad's just scared the husky might chew the leg of our baby grand piano lol.

You mean like this? :doglaugh: Left my girl Bella with my mom to dog sit for a few hours while I went to pick up a foster. She took her eye off her to do some cleaning...oops! More cleaning!:whistling: That's Sid hiding to the left behind the rocker. :D

post-2315-0-24874400-1399557227_thumb.jp

post-2982-13586033759155_thumb.jpg

Lol. Thanks ^-^. I've never had a female dog but they have err..menstruation too so they bleed?

& my dad wants to know if Huskies like to chew on furniture. Like some dogs chew furniture all the time unless trained not to . I already told him that a dog can be trained to not chew on furniture.

Chewing behavior is not related to breed. There you have your answer: unless trained not to, dogs chew furnitures all the time! No need the word "some", all dogs are like that. The only difference is: some dogs prefer other things than furnitures. Example: your expensive newly-bought high-heels. And I'm not trying to scare you or anything, honest. Dime chewed my mom's favorite high-heels in his second week at home (LOL!)

Oh and let me add a little more thing here. You can teach your dog not to touch furnitures by the command "leave it", but they will be more unlikely to chew things if you buy them chew toys (obvious, I know, but let's just write it anyways) and exercise them so that they won't find the time to chew furnitures. You know why dogs chew furnitures right?:) if it's not out of boredom, then it's because they're a lil' puppy (what's that called? teething period? chewing period? forgot LOL). But since it's a husky we're talking about here, you should be prepared to risk some furnitures IMO... :P

There are a lot of great advices here in answering your questions and since I have both male and female the their affection and as well as their intelligence is at the same level but acted upon very differently. My male sam is very people orientated and can sense if people would like meet him or should stay away if people are wary of him. On the other hand syn my female is just aloof with people but she is a great lead dog on the scooter avoiding object and people when on the trail.

As for their appetite for destruction working breeds like huskies generally will get bored quickly because of the need to exert their energy on something so if you and your family is worried about the destruction of the furniture, backyards, or the attempts to escape give them a good workout everyday. Also be honest with yourself and those involved in raising your future companion can you and your family provide the companionship, the mental, and the physical stimulation for their lifetime?

Also if you do get a husky in the future by all means stop by the forum there is plenty of discussions and ideas of how to tire out the ball of fluff in a safe manner from puppyhood to adulthood.

There are a lot of great advices here in answering your questions and since I have both male and female the their affection and as well as their intelligence is at the same level but acted upon very differently. My male sam is very people orientated and can sense if people would like meet him or should stay away if people are wary of him. On the other hand syn my female is just aloof with people but she is a great lead dog on the scooter avoiding object and people when on the trail.

As for their appetite for destruction working breeds like huskies generally will get bored quickly because of the need to exert their energy on something so if you and your family is worried about the destruction of the furniture, backyards, or the attempts to escape give them a good workout everyday. Also be honest with yourself and those involved in raising your future companion can you and your family provide the companionship, the mental, and the physical stimulation for their lifetime?

Also if you do get a husky in the future by all means stop by the forum there is plenty of discussions and ideas of how to tire out the ball of fluff in a safe manner from puppyhood to adulthood.

Oh, I am. Just placed my deposit (: . And yeah I told my dad that you have to train them not to and I guess my dad asked because when I got my first dog (1 year old at the time) he didn't chew anything, not even chew toys so I guess that's why my dad had questions.

\\

I think the puppy is going to be 6 weeks old when I get it, do you guys know how long it should walk when I take it out? Because when I went to my cousin to the vet with her puppy the vet said not to take it for walks for awhile because of risk of germs or something? (I'm not exactly sure if this was said but yeah lol) But then again my cousin got the puppy REALLY young < 5 weeks old.

Is there a reason the breeder is letting pup go at 6 weeks? I find this to be entirely too young. Eight weeks is better - ten weeks is much better. They have much to learn from their litter mates....one thing being bite inhabition.

Pups of any breed should not be taken out until they have had all their shots. Best for pups health. There are so many things they can catch if not vaccinated.

My first husky did his fair share of chewing on furniture, so don't be surprised if it happens........

Is there a reason the breeder is letting pup go at 6 weeks? I find this to be entirely too young. Eight weeks is better - ten weeks is much better. They have much to learn from their litter mates....one thing being bite inhabition.

Pups of any breed should not be taken out until they have had all their shots. Best for pups health. There are so many things they can catch if not vaccinated.

My first husky did his fair share of chewing on furniture, so don't be surprised if it happens........

I honestly have no idea. The breeder said the puppies get wormed at 2,4,6 and 8 weeks of age. But I'm guessing puppy pick up starts at 6 weeks of age but we can leave the puppy there for longer as long as we pay by the time the puppy reaches 6 weeks.

Would you recommend me keeping the puppy there longer? (Born March 21st, pick up Starts May 2nd and I wasn't going to pick her up until the 5th but now I'm not so sure.. lol) I'm not sure if the other puppies will still be there though so -- x_o!?

it all depends on the dog , my male dog is ALOT harder to train , n only likes cuddles on his terms

my female is very easy to train , loves me but also likes cuddles on her own terms too

all huskies are cute ;) lol

yep female dogs have seasons , you can have them spayed before a season but its really not that bad at all

my male never really chewed anything but paper and cardboard , again it depends on the dog

its really better to leave them with their mum till atleast 8 weeks of age as they learn their puppy manners from their mum at around 6weeks of age

I honestly have no idea. The breeder said the puppies get wormed at 2,4,6 and 8 weeks of age. But I'm guessing puppy pick up starts at 6 weeks of age but we can leave the puppy there for longer as long as we pay by the time the puppy reaches 6 weeks.

Would you recommend me keeping the puppy there longer? (Born March 21st, pick up Starts May 2nd and I wasn't going to pick her up until the 5th but now I'm not so sure.. lol) I'm not sure if the other puppies will still be there though so -- x_o!?

If possible, I'd leave the pup with the breeder for a couple extra weeks. BUT, if all the other pups are gone...............though on the other hand, if the pup is left with the mother, she'll do some of that teaching.

Do you guys know what crate size I should get for my pup?

I looked on yahoo answers and I'm not really understanding size 300/400 or whatever people are saying and then the dimensions are varying from 32-46" in Length? as well as the other dimensions.

I'm currently on the petsmart website (it's the only pet place I know of that's well known lol -- if you guys know any other good pet places or online ones, let me know please) and I'm looking at the crate with dividers so I don't have to buy more crates as she grows.

What do you guys recommend for a female Husky?