General Problems

Langy91

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it have an obvious effect on their behaviour? My friend got his Spaniel x Terrier done and he still sniffs at everything and is hyper 24/7

It's very hard to train him, I may have to walk each dog seperately when parents arent home to walk the other. The Terrier is a typical Terrier, dad hadnt trained him at all so he thinks he owns the house, he's quite literally out of control. When walking he pulls until he's choking himself, when he sees another dog he's going berserk, he goes crazy to try and get to a patch of grass to sniff it... and it's making Storm act like an idiot.

Does it have an obvious effect on their behaviour? My friend got his Spaniel x Terrier done and he still sniffs at everything and is hyper 24/7

It's very hard to train him, I may have to walk each dog seperately when parents arent home to walk the other. The Terrier is a typical Terrier, dad hadnt trained him at all so he thinks he owns the house, he's quite literally out of control. When walking he pulls until he's choking himself, when he sees another dog he's going berserk, he goes crazy to try and get to a patch of grass to sniff it... and it's making Storm act like an idiot.

it's not like once your dog is neutered he will turn into a very different dog. Your dog will still be your dog, but with less hormones drive that will make him jump over your fence and make puppies with the neighbor's mutt. Btw, neutering makes a GREAT difference in every dog. An un-neutered dog has the risk of suffering from testicular tumor and prostate gland problems while the un-neutered ones will never suffer from such problems. I think that's a pretty big difference.

It IS hard to train a husky. If you had done your research before you bring home your baby you should have known this. These problems you mentioned to us are not surprising at all. Trust me, there are much worse huskies out there. There are loads of leash-training tips in this section (and the training/behavior section too) so please have a look around :)

and if I may comment about your terrier, he's not being "typical terrier" at all. He is being a "typical untrained dog". Without anyone doing anything, there is no point in complaining about his behavior.

Pretty much put me in my place there :) I did my research, I just underestimated how difficult it would be! :D It's fine Storm is ok on his own just paired with the Terrier he's a little nightmare. We'll get a trainer, get them neutered and start seriously training them both

Pretty much put me in my place there :) I did my research, I just underestimated how difficult it would be! :D It's fine Storm is ok on his own just paired with the Terrier he's a little nightmare. We'll get a trainer, get them neutered and start seriously training them both

:clap: lesson of the day; never under estimate a dog ;)

what really irritates me is the parents. When he's howling/barking in the living room they just go "shut up!" and lock him in the dining room... I just played with him for 5 minutes doing sit/stay/down and right now he's sleeping on my feet and has been for the last hour. How long do you guys train with your Huskies and I assume you just go through every command you/it knows? Storm only knows sit, stay, down, come. But that's only when I show him a treat :P if there's no treat it'll take alot of effort to get him to sit/down, Stay is almost always perfect though.

If you want to have him do commands without treats, start off with reinforcement and reward every time he does the desired command, slowly reduce reinforcement (this means you can show it to him) but he will not always get the reward even if he is doing the desired command. Research has shown that reinforcement on a fixed schedule (so every time he does a command he gets a treat) will possibly cause extinction (meaning he will not do the command at some point), however, if you reward on a variable ratio (randomly) it will provide a resistance to extinction, and he will soon learn that if he does the desired command he might get a treat. One of the best marketing strategies involve variable ratio reinforcement and most people are victims of it, slot machine gambling. Gambling gives the notion that if we put money in a machine we might get more money, same principles apply to dogs, if he sits he might get a treat. But for this to work you must start off with reinforcement for every time he does a desired command and slowly start reducing. I train mine everyday, 15-20 minutes, twice a day. If you really want training to be effective, I've read you should train them for 15-30 minutes for every 3 hours of a day, but unless you have no job or school this is quite impracticable.