Huskies and cats

areyno13

I am really interested in getting a husky. The thing is I have two cats who have never really dealt with dogs but enough to know that they are scared of most dogs.

My concern isn't for the cats being afraid because they'll get better, my concern is that my husky might hurt or kill my cats. My question is, should I try to adopt an adult dog that is supposedly good with cats (which might take a while and could be a great risk if they hadn't been exposed long enough to cats) or should I adopt a puppy and train it myself to know that the cats are not food (I heard this works well because they grow up with the cats and think of them as pack members.)

Obviously raising a puppy is more expensive and takes a lot more time to train, and I don't have a bunch of experience training a dog (though I do have some.) The puppy may be safe though if I can teach it to get along with the cats. I also think the cats might like a puppy a little more because it starts out about the same size as them, instead of introducing them to a monster.

So dog or puppy?

Thoughts/opinions?

Huskies and cats are not a good mix, but with hard work and training, it can be done. At the same time, you have to be willing to accept the risks involved. It's not something I would recommend to a first time husky owner. You'd have enough trials to get through without throwing a cat in the mix.

That said, I have both and they are the best of friends. Ryn, who will be two in July, has been raised with a cat in the home and they are buddies. I've even just started allowing Ryn the run of the house during the day while I'm at work. Kit just spent her first anniversary with us (got her at age four months).

One thing that I would note is that the prey drive of an adult is much stronger than that of a pup. You would have a chance of a harmonious life by starting with a pup. That duly noted, it still takes training, training, and more training. (Kit also has all her claws so she has a defense mechanism. And she does have areas that are high up where to hide from the husky, should need be).

Cats and huskies are not for the faint of heart, nor for those not willing to put in training time.

Do know that while Ryn lives with Kit and the pair are buddies, any other cat is - in Ryn's eyes, fair "game". Her kitty is ok, the rest are not.

Use the search bar, type in 'cats' and you will get a ton of threads dealing with this subject. It can be done, but - as Becky said - it is not without significant risk. Here is a prime example:

I got a 6 year old husky. It took me an entire year of consistent and strict work with Wyatt to teach him not to kill my cat. The cat's life truly was in danger for most of that time and we had several near misses. But he did finally learned the lesson and now the cat bosses him around.

BUT - he only learned the same lesson as Becky's Ryn - we don't eat this kitty.

This is what happened in December - long story short, Wyatt killed one cat and mauled another.

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/my-husky-killed-my-moms-cat.33742/

So the questions you want to ask yourself are these:

How bad do I want a husky?

How much risk am I willing to put my cats in?

Can I keep my cats safe?

Am I equipped to deal with a predatory response and work through it?

Do the cats have a safe place they can go to escape the dog?

Where will the dog be when I cannot supervise it?

What will I do with the dog if it DOES hurt or kill one of my cats?

Know too, that rehoming a dog who has hurt or killed another animal is very difficult, and if you surrender it to a shelter or humane society it will likely be a death sentence.

I am really interested in getting a husky. The thing is I have two cats who have never really dealt with dogs but enough to know that they are scared of most dogs.

My concern isn't for the cats being afraid because they'll get better, my concern is that my husky might hurt or kill my cats. My question is, should I try to adopt an adult dog that is supposedly good with cats (which might take a while and could be a great risk if they hadn't been exposed long enough to cats) or should I adopt a puppy and train it myself to know that the cats are not food (I heard this works well because they grow up with the cats and think of them as pack members.)

Obviously raising a puppy is more expensive and takes a lot more time to train, and I don't have a bunch of experience training a dog (though I do have some.) The puppy may be safe though if I can teach it to get along with the cats. I also think the cats might like a puppy a little more because it starts out about the same size as them, instead of introducing them to a monster.

So dog or puppy?

Thoughts/opinions?

Well in the past it's well know that cats and dogs can't get along lol. But I would let them be together for about 10mins for a couple times a day, but you "must" be in there or with them at all times. Then if they get along no fighting or hissing, raising skin, hair. If they do those they can't get along then. That's how I've done it over the last years.

Since we got Sonoma at 8 weeks old and our cat was already almost 2, they don't have an issue. Sonoma will chase her but it's play and Lou (the cat) will play back but if Sonoma gets to be too wild she will put her in her place. I think by the time Sonoma may be able to physically hurt her there will be a pecking order in place. Also Hammer, our other dog, will protect the cat if Sonoma gets too boisterous around her, bc that cat is Hammer's baby.

personally I'd ask you to postpone the dog-owning idea, but there ARE people who own huskies and cats in one same house. Keeping the cats away from your husky at all time is probably the best way to do this. If you're going to bring home a puppy, there's a chance you'll get the one that has a higher prey drive which means no matter what you do, there is always a chance he'd injure or even kill your cats. Remember, NOT all dogs can get along with cats. And with a breed like Siberian husky, IMO you're pushing your luck =\ but since this is not impossible, I'd feel bad if I just ask you to choose another breed so I'll just recommend you to bring home an adult. An adult dog is predictable, calmer and more experienced about his/her world. An adult would not try to sniff/chew every single thing on sight out of curiosity, and their behavior has been figured out by someone else (like their foster family or the volunteers at the shelter) so you'll know what are you dealing with. With a puppy, you have to spend months of tiring training to make him/her get along with your kitties. Plus, there's always a chance he/she will never tolerate cats no matter what. With an adult dog, you simply have to look for one that is labeled "loves cats" and your problem is pretty much decreased. So yea I'll recommend an adult dog :) But I might be wrong, so don't trust me too much x)

Even some puppies have a very strong prey drive, and can be very difficult to teach to live with cats - especially if the cat(s) run, triggering that prey drive! I have 10 huskies, and 9 aren't allowed loose in my house - they live in an indoor/outdoor kennel, instead - because I have cats. The 2 original cats, now almost 14, would run from the dogs, who were never then socialized to cats - and thought of them as prey because they act like prey! I have one dog that is willing to give up having kitty-snacks for the rights and privileges that come with being a house dog, and another that seems like she might well also be willing. There are a couple more that might be able to be trained eventually, as well, but I have several that I wouldn't ever trust around the cats!