ITV Granada Reports 6pm "Why so may Huskies are being abandoned"

flyingspanner

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree; it's just people getting the pups because they are so cute or they see a beautiful husky on the street and they go out and get the a puppy without doing their research.

It's like that with every breed, actually, and not just huskies.

That video should be pinned in the "Introductions" forum, or at the very least in "Siberian husky questions." It's a very good reminder that people need to be 100% aware of what they're getting into (and will hopefully encourage more adopting instead of buying from breeders!).

Just one of the reasons why a dog licence should be mandatory as should a dog logbook and microchipping so that owners can be traced and be held legally responsible for their dogs until a suitable new owner can be found. I'll step off my soap box now

Just one of the reasons why a dog licence should be mandatory as should a dog logbook and microchipping so that owners can be traced and be held legally responsible for their dogs until a suitable new owner can be found. I'll step off my soap box now

The only down side to that as much as i like your thinking is the not so nice owners of the dogs with chips, logbooks and what have you will just kill and hide the body rather than risk it costing them anything... after all, these people are paying good money then once they grow up or cause a problem just get rid :(

Licensing is mandatory here, though I must confess that none of mine are... :confused: I licensed all my pets the first 2 years we were here, then just keep forgetting about it after that! They also encourage neutering by charging 3 times as much to license an intact dog. They also get one "get out of jail free" card per license per year. The bad news (or good news for me!) is that there is little to no enforcement of the licensing law.

...Now just watch - I'll be back on here within a week saying I've been ticketed for an unlicensed dog!

...Now just watch - I'll be back on here within a week saying I've been ticketed for an unlicensed dog!

:rofl:

I wish there was some form of licensing here, or every breeder had to, by law, chip their pups before they left the parents & if any ended up in rescue, they could be returned to the breeder, something to make people see past the £££ or $$$, whatever currency you use! But I can't see any way of enforcing it, there's too many dogs around. Thanks for posting the link, flyingspanner , I saw the actual news clip on TV but it is a good article & for a change, quite favourable for NOT getting a husky!

my mate just told me about this an i had a gut feeling it would be posted on here so i've just got to watch it xD the white sibe looks like my kizzle, but yeah too many huskies are ending up in kennels because people just go for the gorgeous looking dog, DO YOUR RESEARCH!

The only down side to that as much as i like your thinking is the not so nice owners of the dogs with chips, logbooks and what have you will just kill and hide the body rather than risk it costing them anything... after all, these people are paying good money then once they grow up or cause a problem just get rid :(

or more than likely would just dump them somewhere!

It's just a massive lack of common sense - even if I hadn't had a husky before, or hadn't done a single bit of research into the breed (which also baffles me, it takes 5 minutes to read a breed profile) I'd look at them and think 'they'll take a lot of looking after' 'a big breed's bound to be a handful' etc.

Really hoping it they don't get to staffy status where every third dog in a rescue is a husk, it's bad enough seeing it with one breed of dog :(

I will be honest I did not research the breed till after I got Bindi....soon was up to speed with it and am now the proud owner of 2 of them..I think it has more to do with the fact are you willing to change your lifestyle once you have a husky and not done any research.....I did and am more then happy with it...

I will be honest I did not research the breed till after I got Bindi....soon was up to speed with it and am now the proud owner of 2 of them..I think it has more to do with the fact are you willing to change your lifestyle once you have a husky and not done any research.....I did and am more then happy with it...

I think that is key - if you aren't willing to change your lifestyle and the way you actually live in your home, don't get a husky :(

I know for a fact that I could not be without my 2 furkids right now..also for my own sanity and health (near depression) it was the best move I made....apart from marrying Di...LOL