ITV Granada Reports 6pm "Why so may Huskies are being abandoned"

flyingspanner

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did research. no amount of research could have prepared me for these two!!

and the hair dont even get me started lol

I was just about to say for all the research I did into the breed, and even having had a husky as my childhood pet, Ryder was still a shock to the system! It is all about adapting once you have your pup, my lifestyle's changed completely and we're not even having all our spare time soaked up with walkies yet. But still, common sense should tell a person who really isn't willing to change their lives that a husky isn't the breed for them.

You cant educate people enough i always tell people when im out asking about the breed and once ive spoke to them they dont want 1. so im doing something right!lol. to many idiots wanting to buy them just for looks makes me mad. all you can do is let people know when they ask about the breed. yes it does make you want to take a trip to manchester:)

I had first hand experience from caring for a friends two but still did a massive amount of research before taking the plunge and getting a husky.. And as mentioned, owning just one means changing your way of life. When people ask you about them and you explain how they're much more than just a dog. You can see them think 'yeah yeah' but it's those people who get them and end up shoving them in a shelter when reality kicks in.

Maybe we could contact itv and have the forum mentioned as a place to come to for support if people are struggling with their husky?

I see the news clip made me sad and mad I just want to go get them all :'(

Sadly not got the room and don't want a divorce.

If I won big on the LOTTO I'd be straight to a rescue for the huskies and start my own. With mega land for them to run about on xxx

εїÃ· H εїÃ·

I think the only time I had ever been around a husky was when

I was in 6th grade and we were tracking the Iditarod. After it

was over, a woman brought in a few dogs from her team so we

could meet some real dogs from the Iditarod.

I don't know if that is where my love for them began, but I have

always wanted a husky or mally.

I agree that no amount of reading will prepare you for dogowner-

ship, especially not with sibes.

I haven't really in the position to talk anyone out of a husky. Most

of the people I work with have either owned them, or they know

they would never want to! I don't like to be bothered when I walk

her, so generally I take her to trails or to a field where there aren't

other people around.

And as others have said, THE HAIR! We have lint rollers in the car,

every room of the house, ect. It doesn't matter though, I am still

always covered in her fur. People probably think I am a slob, lol.

It makes me so angry my babies make me angry at times but I would never abandon them I have always said if I won the lottery or got a load of money I will buy a big plot of land adopt all stray abandoned dogs and give them a forever home they need with love and care

In all honesty, when my dad first got Blade, the only research we done was looked on a website, found a local breeder, called him, visited a litter, picked him and brought him home when was ready. The breeder was great with info, but we just thought how much hard work could a 'dog' be!! In hindsight, having done the research, we probably wouldn't have got one. However, we now have 3 in our little pack, after bringing Casper home from the dogs trust, and wouldn't be without any of them!!