A couple of interesting days (Warning - gory pics)

sutsibe

Want to warn you that there will be a couple of photos that might not appeal to the squeamish...

Well, I've had a couple of interesting days at work... Yesterday (Monday) was one of those Murphy's (Sod's) Law days - if it could go wrong, it did! It started with noticing that my 12 year old, Rebel, was having trouble peeing - darn, needs to see the vet, and money's very tight! So he got to come in with me to work, as I'm temporarily working at my vet's office (thank you, God!).

My vet sees both small animals and farm animals - he mostly takes care of the livestock, and has a young woman vet in the office, with whom I've mostly been working. She wanted to do things by the book, but money's tight enough that I opted to be more conservative, so we just checked the urine and did a culture (rather than x-rays for stones) - yep, he has an infection! Prescription: antibiotics and dried cranberries, plus "baiting" water a couple of times a day with canned food to get him to drink more, as he doesn't drink enough.

I was feeling a bit more positive as I headed for home - until I got there! When I went to put Reb in his kennel, I noticed that the kennel 2 down at the end was all bloody, and its occupant, Trooper, was standing on 3 legs! The 4th was dangling, red and swollen. I got a bit better look at it, and called the head vet, who fortunately, was at the clinic, getting ready to mow - off we went! He looked at it, and decided it could wait until morning, so we drugged him up, gave him antibiotic, and hospitalized him for the night. First thing this morning, the female vet and I got him out and started cleaning him up under sedation. The entire front surface of his leg down to his "wrist", for the most part, was abraded, there was a gash at his chest, and a couple of bite wounds on his foot. She shaved the majority of the fur that was left, off, cleaned it up thoroughly, and wrapped it in a soft padded bandage. Pictures below of the cleaned-up leg and Troop resting comfortably, well bandaged.

To top the day off, the second patient after Troop was a cat that was to be neutered. He apparently didn't like the idea, because he managed to bit both the female vet and me (two punctures to the back of my arm, right below my wrist, and attacked her shin with teeth and claws), and then nailed the boss, even through a heavy coat and leather gloves. We won. Eventually.

post-10869-0-14969800-1399673110_thumb.j

Trooper's leg, shaved and cleaned up. He likely stuck it under the kennel panel to try to steal a toy from his neighbor, Strider, who grabbed his leg and pulled. There are some punctures by the toes, as well as around the "wrist".

post-10869-0-76387000-1399673154_thumb.j

He has a nasty gash by his chest, likely from being caught on the kennel panel - I don't think Strider could have bitten him there (they're a pair of idiots - what can I say?!). You can see his skin's all scuffed up from the bottom rail of the panel.

post-10869-0-75291700-1399673069_thumb.j

Leg comfortably wrapped, he's resting more comfortably! He slept until mid-afternoon, and seems content to sleep tonight, as well...

Praying for better days (although today was actually better than Monday - cat bites not withstanding!) Cookies for everyone who made it this far! :cookies:

post-1869-13586034028389_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13586034030047_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13586034031395_thumb.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh - geeze! What a rough couple of days! :(

I hope everyone feels better soon from their injuries - both dogs and people!

I'm not sure how your kennels look like, but maybe you might want to consider putting some 'husky proof' padding so this doesn't happen again?

Wow Gigi, awful few days :( Poor Trooper, those wounds look ouch, hope he heals well. And Rebel, hope his infection clears up too. Is not drinking enough water a common problem with him? I worry about Ozzy & Micah not getting enough too, they don't even drink a full bowl between them in a day - not sure if it is because they are on a raw diet.

Thanks, everyone!

Oh - geeze! What a rough couple of days! :(

I hope everyone feels better soon from their injuries - both dogs and people!

I'm not sure how your kennels look like, but maybe you might want to consider putting some 'husky proof' padding so this doesn't happen again?

Unfortunately, it's not possible, both as to how things are, physically, and my current finances. I did move Strider away from Trooper, where his neighbors are less likely to rise to the bait... :P

Wow Gigi, awful few days :( Poor Trooper, those wounds look ouch, hope he heals well. And Rebel, hope his infection clears up too. Is not drinking enough water a common problem with him? I worry about Ozzy & Micah not getting enough too, they don't even drink a full bowl between them in a day - not sure if it is because they are on a raw diet.

Thanks! Yes, he hasn't ever consumed much water, which makes infections and crystals more likely to form. I would think that on the raw diet, they wouldn't need to drink as much, because of the water content in the meat.

Gigi, what would them boys do without you? Hope they mend quickly.

Want to warn you that there will be a couple of photos that might not appeal to the squeamish...

Well, I've had a couple of interesting days at work... Yesterday (Monday) was one of those Murphy's (Sod's) Law days - if it could go wrong, it did! It started with noticing that my 12 year old, Rebel, was having trouble peeing - darn, needs to see the vet, and money's very tight! So he got to come in with me to work, as I'm temporarily working at my vet's office (thank you, God!).

My vet sees both small animals and farm animals - he mostly takes care of the livestock, and has a young woman vet in the office, with whom I've mostly been working. She wanted to do things by the book, but money's tight enough that I opted to be more conservative, so we just checked the urine and did a culture (rather than x-rays for stones) - yep, he has an infection! Prescription: antibiotics and dried cranberries, plus "baiting" water a couple of times a day with canned food to get him to drink more, as he doesn't drink enough.

I was feeling a bit more positive as I headed for home - until I got there! When I went to put Reb in his kennel, I noticed that the kennel 2 down at the end was all bloody, and its occupant, Trooper, was standing on 3 legs! The 4th was dangling, red and swollen. I got a bit better look at it, and called the head vet, who fortunately, was at the clinic, getting ready to mow - off we went! He looked at it, and decided it could wait until morning, so we drugged him up, gave him antibiotic, and hospitalized him for the night. First thing this morning, the female vet and I got him out and started cleaning him up under sedation. The entire front surface of his leg down to his "wrist", for the most part, was abraded, there was a gash at his chest, and a couple of bite wounds on his foot. She shaved the majority of the fur that was left, off, cleaned it up thoroughly, and wrapped it in a soft padded bandage. Pictures below of the cleaned-up leg and Troop resting comfortably, well bandaged.

To top the day off, the second patient after Troop was a cat that was to be neutered. He apparently didn't like the idea, because he managed to bit both the female vet and me (two punctures to the back of my arm, right below my wrist, and attacked her shin with teeth and claws), and then nailed the boss, even through a heavy coat and leather gloves. We won. Eventually.

[ATTACH=full]46843[/ATTACH]

Trooper's leg, shaved and cleaned up. He likely stuck it under the kennel panel to try to steal a toy from his neighbor, Strider, who grabbed his leg and pulled. There are some punctures by the toes, as well as around the "wrist".

[ATTACH=full]46844[/ATTACH]

He has a nasty gash by his chest, likely from being caught on the kennel panel - I don't think Strider could have bitten him there (they're a pair of idiots - what can I say?!). You can see his skin's all scuffed up from the bottom rail of the panel.

[ATTACH=full]46842[/ATTACH]

Leg comfortably wrapped, he's resting more comfortably! He slept until mid-afternoon, and seems content to sleep tonight, as well...

Praying for better days (although today was actually better than Monday - cat bites not withstanding!) Cookies for everyone who made it this far! :cookies:

OMG OMG!!! I'm soooo sorry your puppy gigi, I hope for all he/she gets better very soon. Again I'm so sorry:(:(:(