Your Huskies name in Japanese

Sakutama

I just had this crazy idea to make something, maybe ID tags/charms for example, with Husky names made into Japanese for Etsy. Sense I have a Japanese husband, he might even be able to help me find some kanji so they wouldn't be limited to just katakana or hiragana, even though most non-Japanese names are written in Katakana. He could also help me make sure they sound natural to a Japanese native, so if you run into someone from Japan, they will be able to read it! (can mostly promise katanana/hiragana, can't 100% promise kanji because they are...well...kanji and each little kanji has many pronunciations :rolleyes: )

What do you guys think...great idea? Not interesting? Might be interested?

Please let me know! :D

would be great if the English name is written as well :D that way even US/UK people can read it

That would be no problem if they want it like that! :D

I just figured their dog would already have an ID tag, so an extra one in Japanese would be for fun. Unfortunately I don't have any calligraphy skills, but I could do the computer text version...which might have a calligraphy-like font. hrmmm...need to research that.

maybe not a tag. but id love a artwork or picture or something like that with it on

Oh I could do that! Great idea!....maybe a lovely photograph with the name on it? I take scenic pictures in Japan as often as I can, I could take some specifically for this that would compliment the name and give it a Japanese feel. What do you think? :D

Oh I could do that! Great idea!....maybe a lovely photograph with the name on it? I take scenic pictures in Japan as often as I can, I could take some specifically for this that would compliment the name and give it a Japanese feel. What do you think? :D

yeah good idea :D like a name plaque sort of thing

yeah good idea :D like a name plaque sort of thing

With my limited resources at the moment, I think the best thing I could do is first do a consultation to try to put together the best Japanese version of the name and if you want Hiragana, Katakana, or Kanji. Then, to choose a picture you like (after I take a few meant for this), then (after I find a font that looks traditional) use my Gimp to edit them together. I would then share a sample of the finished picture and if that passes, then I can take it to a photo printing shop not far from here, have them printed whatever size you want that they have available, and mail it to you. I could look for frames and bits too, but i'll have to just buy them at the regular shop so that might add up fast. :confused: Shipping would be a lot cheaper without the frame as well if your looking to save money. But frames can certainly can be done! :D I'll keep an eye out for traditional looking frames, mostly I just see regular run-of-the-mill frames that you woulden't even guess are from Japan. This sounds like so much fun already, I hope more people might be interested. :)

With my limited resources at the moment, I think the best thing I could do is first do a consultation to try to put together the best Japanese version of the name and if you want Hiragana, Katakana, or Kanji. Then, to choose a picture you like (after I take a few meant for this), then (after I find a font that looks traditional) use my Gimp to edit them together. I would then share a sample of the finished picture and if that passes, then I can take it to a photo printing shop not far from here, have them printed whatever size you want that they have available, and mail it to you. I could look for frames and bits too, but i'll have to just buy them at the regular shop so that might add up fast. :confused: Shipping would be a lot cheaper without the frame as well if your looking to save money. But frames can certainly can be done! :D I'll keep an eye out for traditional looking frames, mostly I just see regular run-of-the-mill frames that you woulden't even guess are from Japan. This sounds like so much fun already, I hope more people might be interested. :)

:goodjob:

Blast it! If I knew I was going to do this, I could have got some great shots of the cherry blossoms for this. :facepalm: I just took regular pictures at a distance this year...now wait why on earth did I do that? I always try close up shots! :facepalm::facepalm: Maybe too focused on my new job, thanks new job. :confused:

Ah well next year...next year...

Ah hm...you know what? What do you guys honestly think is reasonable for translating names into Japanese? It seems like something I should just do for free to me, and charge for art made with it, but well, what do you think? :rolleyes:

really depends on how well your work is ;) maybe a sample work for all to see?

really depends on how well your work is ;) maybe a sample work for all to see?

I would say amateur, but then again I have a native speaker (my husband) to help me...hrm...

Then again with the power of the internet, I feel this is something anyone could do if they just Google it. Maybe...just do it for whatever the person feels it's worth?

Here's me doing a few on my own without hubby tonight, maybe they will help as examples:

If your dog's name is....Rover, or Spot. The most common way to write these names would be in Katakana and the closest you can get would be something like this:

Spot: スãƒÂト (Supato)

Rover: ロウ-ム(Rou-ba)

If you want a cute version, you can also try Hiragana:

Spot: ã™ã±ã¨ (Supato)

Rover: ã‚Âã†-ã° (Rou-ba)

Now Kanji...I need my husbands help with those. But for example, if you happen to have a lucky dog named Sakura (meaning cherry blossoms) the Kanji would be like this: 桜

And for example, if your dogs name begins with Ai...like Aiyana for example, you could use the Kanji æ„› for the Ai part. This Kanji means "love" in Japanese. So if we could find Kanji for ya and na...or just yana...you could build something meaningful. Most people in Japan have Kanji names, and their parents pick those Kanji out to be meaningful for their kids in some way. It's really neat. :)

That's great! What version is everyone most interested in?

Katakana: ロウ-ãƒÂ

Hiragana: ã‚Âã†-ã°

Kanji: 桜 愛

why of course kanji is the most eye-catching LOL but not all names can be made into kanji... Guess it's down to personal preference make sure your customer told you which version she/he wants

why of course kanji is the most eye-catching LOL but not all names can be made into kanji... Guess it's down to personal preference make sure your customer told you which version she/he wants

Very true...

But actually any name can be made into Kanji...it just means you might have as many as 5 Kanji trying to put it together and possible confusion of pronunciation because each Kanji has a handful of pronunciation possibilities, but it's possible. :P My husband even made me a Kanji name when we were first dating, he went through the trouble to make it meaningful and everything. I think it's 3 Kanji meant something like luck, beauty/cute, and destiny. hehe. He said the worst they could mess it up would be something like "Ekaun" but it's also readable as "Even" in pronunciation. It's true everyone seems to love the Kanji best, maybe i'll focus on that direction of things. It would make for pretty art. :)

i think kiras is in katakana so would want the others in that too

Ah okay! Then i'll just do any of the three then. :D

Well let me try to organize how i'm going to do this sense I just thought up the idea, then i'll let you guys know and start working on getting those names translated, okay? :D please keep letting me know if your interested and i'll see what I can do.

I just had this crazy idea to make something, maybe ID tags/charms for example, with Husky names made into Japanese for Etsy. Sense I have a Japanese husband, he might even be able to help me find some kanji so they wouldn't be limited to just katakana or hiragana, even though most non-Japanese names are written in Katakana. He could also help me make sure they sound natural to a Japanese native, so if you run into someone from Japan, they will be able to read it! (can mostly promise katanana/hiragana, can't 100% promise kanji because they are...well...kanji and each little kanji has many pronunciations :rolleyes: )

What do you guys think...great idea? Not interesting? Might be interested?

Please let me know! :D

Good idea to me.

Thanks SO everyone! :D

I thought about it, and I think i've decided to do the name translations for free because I don't have any formal qualifications to do it professionally. It's just my personal study of Japanese, and having my native speaker husband double check for accuracy as best we can. But if you want me to MAKE something with said translated name, i'll be more then happy to give it a try!

I was also thinking...unless you really want a lovely picture from Japan, I could also put the translated name onto a picture of your Husky!! You could send me the picture (as big/high quality as possible) and I could do some Gimp magic to edit them together. So you could frame it, and it has their name in Japanese right on the picture. What do you think? I know if I had a Husky I would make one of those for myself. :D

So i'll contact everyone in the order they replied to my post, and i'll see what I can do! Sorry if it is a slow process, sense this is all kind of new for me! But i'll get to everyone so please don't worry. :)

Thanks SO everyone! :D

I thought about it, and I think i've decided to do the name translations for free because I don't have any formal qualifications to do it professionally. It's just my personal study of Japanese, and having my native speaker husband double check for accuracy as best we can. But if you want me to MAKE something with said translated name, i'll be more then happy to give it a try!

I was also thinking...unless you really want a lovely picture from Japan, I could also put the translated name onto a picture of your Husky!! You could send me the picture (as big/high quality as possible) and I could do some Gimp magic to edit them together. So you could frame it, and it has their name in Japanese right on the picture. What do you think? I know if I had a Husky I would make one of those for myself. :D

So i'll contact everyone in the order they replied to my post, and i'll see what I can do! Sorry if it is a slow process, sense this is all kind of new for me! But i'll get to everyone so please don't worry. :)

careful, you'll receive tons of husky pictures from now on :P gonna be real tempting LOL

• 2 weeks later...