do dogs prowl like wild cats?

Aya

Do dogs prowl at all? I noticed on my walk today Aya, actually started prowling ... she lowered her back, her head and started slowly and quietly walking (exactly like a lion or a tiger in the wild before trying to grab their prey). She began prowling about 2 houses away from the house with cats (we walked past there yesterday and she tried to chase em) but today I think she was aware the cats were there so she began prowling. I have never seen this behaviour before so just a bit flabbergast .

Echo does it all the time when in prey drive mode, a crouching slow walk. Sometimes, when she plays with other dogs, she will put her body all the way to the ground and stalk the other dog.. it seems to just be playful though when she is with another dog, as even I can get her to do it when we're playing, I start to walk very slowly towards her and she mimics me by dropping and crawling.. we can keep doing it, and then I'll make a sudden movement and she bursts into a full blown run! I've always compared her to a wild cat as well :)

Kiana has done it since she was 4 months. I've tried to get her to not do it at the dog park though it tends to freak out dogs not used to a husky play style and has started scraps in the past. She's gotten tons better though and mostly does it at home with me and D now.

Does it really freak dogs out??

Where we are yes I can't speak for all dogs and all breeds all over the world obviously but I've noticed specific types of dogs do NOT understand it and either react defensively or fearfully resulting in some not fun times at the park. Pits, Great Danes, and Doodles don't seem to be fazed for example but Labs, Rotties, Boxers, and surprisingly GSDs have made it clear it is not an appreciated form of play. There are some from those breeds Kiana has played with since puppy hood that "get it" that's just a generalization of what I have noticed on a whole from the dog's we have encountered thus far. Could be our region, the way the dogs are raised, or could be any number of reasons they freak out. Most likely though it's because not alot of dogs do that where we are as I've only seen a small few besides Kiana so they don't know how to respond to it. I remember one time there was an older sheep dog, around 12yrs or so, who was playing with her great until she "ninja" moded and he put her in her place right quick. She has not ninja moded him again lol.

Alice use to do it all the time.....she was an excellent huntress, cats, birds, moles, gophers, possums and lizards.

Grace hasn't fully come around to hunting yet, but she does stalk Betty in the yard by crouching down and hiding behind things in order to ambush her!:wolf: