Wanting a Siberian Husky but I do not know if I should get one?

Shaiasaur

I want a Siberian Husky and I don't just want them for their looks, I like the breed in general, I loved Balto as a kid and watched the movies for hours.

I have a big backyard but it's not fenced so I was planning on getting it a kennel with food and shelter in it.

I have a cat that is 8 months old and I know that Huskies have a high prey drive and I wanted to teach the puppy that the cat is a friend.

I want to crate train him/her and I want to purchase the Huskies in the summer since I won't be in school but when I do go to school the dog will be alone for 7 hours.

I'm afraid that the puppy will pee itself and stuff and I don't want the husky to get scared and whine when I'm gone for 7 hours 5 times a day.

I was thinking of getting a 8 month old or a bit younger. Any suggestions? Tips?

I did my research and I've owned a couple of dogs before but I'm seeing all of this negativitiy about you shouldn't get one because of certain reasons and I just don't know. I'm really looking forward to getting a husky but I feel as if maybe I'll be neglecting it. :/

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want an honest answer Im guessing because thats why you asked husky owners personally.

Well, its not totally undoable. Steph aka Hy'Shqa is at uni and has kiska. Ive tagged her so she can tell you a bit more herself.

Some people do leave their dogs while they are at work.

Would you not be able to get home for lunch for instance?

Do you live on your own?

by kennel do you mean a enclosed dog run??

for a while it maybe would howl/cry being left alone for so long. Would your neighbours cope?

I would seriously look into 6ft fencing as well as a dog kennel/run. - you need a backup security in case it gets out the kennel/run.

It is harder to crate train an older sibe than a pup. especially if it has had bad crate experiences.

Are you thinking a rescue?

How old are you? My first concern would be whether you're able to commit the next 15+ years of your life to a dog. Do you want to go to college or university? You likely won't be able to take the dog with you there. And what sort of work do you want to get into when you're older? Something that means you'll be travelling all over the place, or working odd shifts and long hours? You must remember to take the dog's long term needs into consideration alongside your long term goals and life plans. It's not as black and white as saying what you're planning is too inconvenient to have a dog or whatever, but being committed to your dog for it's entire life is a positive step forwards. [ETA: For example I plan to work abroad in either Europe or the USA and have known this for years. When I committed to getting Kiska, I also committed to taking her with me. That's going to be tough and very expensive, but that's what I've tied myself in to and I'm happy with that :) ]

As far as everything else goes it sounds like you've taking a lot of things into consideration. The kennel sounds like a good idea, though you'll probably find they're quite expensive and that fencing off a part of your large yard might be more cost effective? Crate training is also an excellent idea and most dogs learn to love their little dens :)

With regards to the cat, I think it would depend on the dog you get. If you were to get a puppy I would say that's no problem as long as you take efficient steps from day one to ensure the dog is taught to ignore the cat and that the dog and cat are never left alone. However if you were to go for an older dog you would have to make sure you only get one that is known to be ok with cats. It's much more difficult if not impossible to teach a dog that already has fixed reactions to small furries to leave them alone.

Also, and people may disagree with me on this one but each to their own, I don't believe leaving a dog for 7 hours is that bad. If you were to rehome an older dog and spend the summer settling them in and crate training them I would see no problem with them being left for that long, though it would be worth seeing if there's any friends/family/neighbours who might be around to pop in during the day and let the dog out for a stretch. Everyone has to work, that doesn't mean they shouldn't have a dog. If that were everyone's opinion hardly anyone would have dogs ;)

Well, its not totally undoable. Steph aka Hy'Shqa is at uni and has kiska. Ive tagged her so she can tell you a bit more herself.

That's true :) I got Kiska during my second year of university while I was living in managed student housing in town that allowed pets. I would not have been able to get her if I were in my first year as I had to live in halls which do not allow any pets what-so-ever. This also means that if I were to want to get a dog before I started uni, that dog would have had to have stayed at home with my parents for that first year before I could bring her with me. Having Kiska now, there's NO WAY I could bare to be away from her for that long :P So I'm glad I timed getting a dog when I did. If you are wanting to go to university of college, I would strongly suggest waiting until you know the dog can stay with you before you go out and get one.

That's true :) I got Kiska during my second year of university while I was living in managed student housing in town that allowed pets. I would not have been able to get her if I were in my first year as I had to live in halls which do not allow any pets what-so-ever. This also means that if I were to want to get a dog before I started uni, that dog would have had to have stayed at home with my parents for that first year before I could bring her with me. Having Kiska now, there's NO WAY I could bare to be away from her for that long :P So I'm glad I timed getting a dog when I did. If you are wanting to go to university of college, I would strongly suggest waiting until you know the dog can stay with you before you go out and get one.

knew youd have some good advice.

Before I got my pup I was afraid that I would be neglecting him too, but like you said, everyone has to work, and if that were a reason not to get a dog, then you would either need to be rich enough not to have to work, or work from home!

There are two of us in the house, so we get up at 6am and he goes for a walk, eats, and potty. He is back in his crate at 7am so I can get ready for work. He will be let out again to potty between 7:30-8am. At noon I come home from lunch and he is out to potty and eat, then back in his crate around 1pm. At 4:30 we let him out again, and its time for a walk and dinner. He gets 2 more walks in the evening as well as some play time before he rests around 8 or 9pm. Then he goes back to his crate around 10pm for the night. Sometimes this changes if we both have to do something in the evening, but that is not too often. I would say we spend about an hour a day on walks, and an hour of playtime, plus a half hour’s worth of training every day.

On weekends he is out of his crate all day long, unless we have to go somewhere that he cannot go. We will usually take him to my roommate’s family’s farm or the park.

He still seems to have pent-up energy during the week and can be a little monster if the schedule gets thrown out of whack, or we are not home on time. But on the weekends he is usually a very sweet pup, especially when he’s tired!!

It's definitely one of those things you are going to have to make time for. Huskies have a LOT of energy, even the puppies, the more energy they have built up, the more mischievous they become. Huskies do become difficult to manage if they are not given attention. BIG escape artists, and SMART. They are their own breed thats for sure! (: But once you get one, you will fall in love! I know I did! Like the others have said, you have to put the dogs long term needs into consideration. Huskies are a lot of work, but make it all worthwhile! As for the cat, its always easier to raise a smaller puppy with the cat, so it has time to grow, and learn not to hurt it. Huskies will def. sing a song if they feel lonely, or left alone, just remember they are pack animals, they love to be with you, at all times. I know my little guy hates to be left in the house, if im just walking outside for a few seconds! Hope this helps! And good luck! (:

Before I got my pup I was afraid that I would be neglecting him too, but like you said, everyone has to work, and if that were a reason not to get a dog, then you would either need to be rich enough not to have to work, or work from home!

There are two of us in the house, so we get up at 6am and he goes for a walk, eats, and potty. He is back in his crate at 7am so I can get ready for work. He will be let out again to potty between 7:30-8am. At noon I come home from lunch and he is out to potty and eat, then back in his crate around 1pm. At 4:30 we let him out again, and its time for a walk and dinner. He gets 2 more walks in the evening as well as some play time before he rests around 8 or 9pm. Then he goes back to his crate around 10pm for the night. Sometimes this changes if we both have to do something in the evening, but that is not too often. I would say we spend about an hour a day on walks, and an hour of playtime, plus a half hour’s worth of training every day.

On weekends he is out of his crate all day long, unless we have to go somewhere that he cannot go. We will usually take him to my roommate’s family’s farm or the park.

He still seems to have pent-up energy during the week and can be a little monster if the schedule gets thrown out of whack, or we are not home on time. But on the weekends he is usually a very sweet pup, especially when he’s tired!!

He sounds like mine! Apollo gets up at 600, eats, drinks, and potties,plays with us for a little bit and then is back in his crate before we leave for work. And is always ready for bed around 930! (: That's the schedule he has pretty much set himself, and he lets us know it, even on the weekends. (:

a dog is MAJOR commitment. i agree with steph by saying you have to think in long term. I'm finishing my last semester of college, live by myself, and have plenty of time to spend with Luka. I wanted a husky three years ago but it wasn't the right timing. Dogs are fine being crate trained, every dog my parents have owned has stayed put up while we were at work. If you decide to take this path though you MUST be prepared to spend the majority of your freetime with your dog. (then again why wouldn't you want to?:P)

Just don't make a rushed decision, think it through.

If you're intending on doing all day kenneling one thing that you will have to realize is that this commits you to making sure your dog gets at a minimum a good, solid 1hr walk Every. Single. Day. And personally I doubt even that would be enough. With no yard to run around to burn off energy and give them something to do, if you neglect your dog's exercise at all you will be setting him up for frustration and boredom, likely to be exhibited in destructive behaviour, barking/howling constantly, separation anxiety and other issues. There will be no such thing as forgetting about a walk because you don't feel like it, the weather's bad, or you'd rather go out for a drink after work/school. Your dog waiting in the kennel for 7 hours can't wait another few hours before eating/going to the bathroom!

This would go for any dog, but a husky is a working breed, so it's even more important. They are high energy, active, and need something to do. Working breeds who are kept sedentary tend to have major behavioural issues - this is why so many huskies end up neglected, abandoned and surrendered.

Keep in mind too, that huskies are very social dogs, so living kenneled and alone for 2/3 of every day (while you are act school/work and while you sleep) is a recipe for a troubled and miserable dog. It means that leftover 1/3 better be chock full of social interaction and time with you! What will your evenings and social calendar be like while you're at school? Do you do other activities where your dog can accompany you? How many afternoons/evenings a week will you have other commitments that mean the dog will be locked up for that much more of the day?

As others have said, it can work if you are determined to make it work, but only if you look at it with the mentality that you are essentially adopting a child - you will have a living, breathing creature who is solely dependent on you for food, exercise, discipline, social interaction, love and even the very act of toileting. It is not a responsibility you can push off to fit your changing schedule, so you need to fully embrace that notion if you want to get a dog while you are going to school and - as Hy'Shqa pointed out - essentially uncertain of your future life schedule and direction.

I completely agree with Ravenwolf! Every minute that I am not working or sleeping is spent with my pup. When I have to go grocery shopping I feel guilty leaving him home! My life totally changed once I got him, instead of sitting in front of the TV or computer every night I am not going on walks, to the park, or playing with him. I can’t remember the last time I spend the day at the mall! Almost everything or every place I go I try to include my dog, because he is part of the family! It’s a huge responsibility, just like having a child, but like having a child it is worth it!

You want an honest answer Im guessing because thats why you asked husky owners personally.

Do you live on your own?

for a while it maybe would howl/cry being left alone for so long. Would your neighbours cope?

I would seriously look into 6ft fencing as well as a dog kennel/run. - you need a backup security in case it gets out the kennel/run.

It is harder to crate train an older sibe than a pup. especially if it has had bad crate experiences.

I am in High School, next year I graduate so no I can not go home and give it a little break, which is why I was suggesting a kennel for outdoors, but I want to crate train it, just I'm scared of the puppy peeing everywhere.

How old are you? My first concern would be whether you're able to commit the next 15+ years of your life to a dog. Do you want to go to college or university? You likely won't be able to take the dog with you there. And what sort of work do you want to get into when you're older? Something that means you'll be travelling all over the place, or working odd shifts and long hours? You must remember to take the dog's long term needs into consideration alongside your long term goals and life plans. It's not as black and white as saying what you're planning is too inconvenient to have a dog or whatever, but being committed to your dog for it's entire life is a positive step forwards. [ETA: For example I plan to work abroad in either Europe or the USA and have known this for years. When I committed to getting Kiska, I also committed to taking her with me. That's going to be tough and very expensive, but that's what I've tied myself in to and I'm happy with that :) ]

As far as everything else goes it sounds like you've taking a lot of things into consideration. The kennel sounds like a good idea, though you'll probably find they're quite expensive and that fencing off a part of your large yard might be more cost effective? Crate training is also an excellent idea and most dogs learn to love their little dens :)

With regards to the cat, I think it would depend on the dog you get. If you were to get a puppy I would say that's no problem as long as you take efficient steps from day one to ensure the dog is taught to ignore the cat and that the dog and cat are never left alone. However if you were to go for an older dog you would have to make sure you only get one that is known to be ok with cats. It's much more difficult if not impossible to teach a dog that already has fixed reactions to small furries to leave them alone.

Also, and people may disagree with me on this one but each to their own, I don't believe leaving a dog for 7 hours is that bad. If you were to rehome an older dog and spend the summer settling them in and crate training them I would see no problem with them being left for that long, though it would be worth seeing if there's any friends/family/neighbours who might be around to pop in during the day and let the dog out for a stretch. Everyone has to work, that doesn't mean they shouldn't have a dog. If that were everyone's opinion hardly anyone would have dogs ;)

Yes, I do understand what you say and I thank you for your honesty. I am 16. turning 17 in June. I want to become a Veterinarian, but I may change my mind to something else into animals.

I am thinking of the puppy idea but I'm just afraid to leave a puppy home for that long, especially in a crate locked up because I know I wouldn't want to be in one.

If I can solve the crate thing and the pee issue, I'd be just find taking care of a husky and walking it and etc.

I'm glad that we have a lot in common about our first thoughts about the husky.

But the only problem is, when I start school, I can not attend its every need. My sister usually stays home but she is 28 and tend to go here and there. My dad doesn't work or anything but he lives a mile away, and he's lazy.

It's definitely one of those things you are going to have to make time for. Huskies have a LOT of energy, even the puppies, the more energy they have built up, the more mischievous they become. Huskies do become difficult to manage if they are not given attention. BIG escape artists, and SMART. They are their own breed thats for sure! :) But once you get one, you will fall in love! I know I did! Like the others have said, you have to put the dogs long term needs into consideration. Huskies are a lot of work, but make it all worthwhile! As for the cat, its always easier to raise a smaller puppy with the cat, so it has time to grow, and learn not to hurt it. Huskies will def. sing a song if they feel lonely, or left alone, just remember they are pack animals, they love to be with you, at all times. I know my little guy hates to be left in the house, if im just walking outside for a few seconds! Hope this helps! And good luck! :)

Thank you for being honest with me, and I do take a lot into consideration with the breed. I know it's not like any other dog. My sister is trying to convince to me that dogs are dogs, which they are, BUT they're wayyy different and can surprise you, which she doesn't understand.

I want a Siberian Husky and I don't just want them for their looks, I like the breed in general, I loved Balto as a kid and watched the movies for hours.

I have a big backyard but it's not fenced so I was planning on getting it a kennel with food and shelter in it.

I have a cat that is 8 months old and I know that Huskies have a high prey drive and I wanted to teach the puppy that the cat is a friend.

I want to crate train him/her and I want to purchase the Huskies in the summer since I won't be in school but when I do go to school the dog will be alone for 7 hours.

I'm afraid that the puppy will pee itself and stuff and I don't want the husky to get scared and whine when I'm gone for 7 hours 5 times a day.

I was thinking of getting a 8 month old or a bit younger. Any suggestions? Tips?

I did my research and I've owned a couple of dogs before but I'm seeing all of this negativitiy about you shouldn't get one because of certain reasons and I just don't know. I'm really looking forward to getting a husky but I feel as if maybe I'll be neglecting it. :/

I agree with you on this, and very good.

a dog is MAJOR commitment. i agree with steph by saying you have to think in long term. I'm finishing my last semester of college, live by myself, and have plenty of time to spend with Luka. I wanted a husky three years ago but it wasn't the right timing. Dogs are fine being crate trained, every dog my parents have owned has stayed put up while we were at work. If you decide to take this path though you MUST be prepared to spend the majority of your freetime with your dog. (then again why wouldn't you want to?:P)

Just don't make a rushed decision, think it through.

Yes I do understand that they are a big responsibility. I have a routine with my cat. I get up at 6AM, he watched me brush my teeth, take a shower, etc, then I get ready and I give him his food and we play, then when I get home the first thing I do is I run to him and give my attention, so I will most definitely give the pup my attention.

I completely agree with Ravenwolf! Every minute that I am not working or sleeping is spent with my pup. When I have to go grocery shopping I feel guilty leaving him home! My life totally changed once I got him, instead of sitting in front of the TV or computer every night I am not going on walks, to the park, or playing with him. I can’t remember the last time I spend the day at the mall! Almost everything or every place I go I try to include my dog, because he is part of the family! It’s a huge responsibility, just like having a child, but like having a child it is worth it!

Yes I totally agree that a dog and other animals will change your life. I remember when I was younger I wanted a dog or a cat and I just got it any my parents took care of it. Now, since I am older, I got a cat named Tails, and I take care of him, pay his bills, pay for his food, but my mom helps me sometimes too.

Do you live on your own?

This is what I meat by agreeing with, I replied to the wrong post.

Taking onboard a Husky is comparably to working a job the first 1-2years :P Be prepared to hear howling alot, your garden will probably be covered in holes, you can't let them off-leash, you can't walk them enough, if you do (i'm talking about 1-2yr olds) they'll sleep for 10 minutes then they're up howling again.

If you're an energetic person that doesn't mind the challenge + work then i'd say go for it, if not, i'd honestly avoid getting a Husky as they require ALOT of work until they hit 3+ where they will start to settle down. I have an 11 month old and he's... what's a nice way of putting it.... the devil? sounds about right :)

Taking onboard a Husky is comparably to working a job the first 1-2years :P Be prepared to hear howling alot, your garden will probably be covered in holes, you can't let them off-leash, you can't walk them enough, if you do (i'm talking about 1-2yr olds) they'll sleep for 10 minutes then they're up howling again.

If you're an energetic person that doesn't mind the challenge + work then i'd say go for it, if not, i'd honestly avoid getting a Husky as they require ALOT of work until they hit 3+ where they will start to settle down. I have an 11 month old and he's... what's a nice way of putting it.... the devil? sounds about right :)

Thank you very much, I will take those into consideration!

I got my first husky while I was in college and part time work and mum worked full time but my sister was here and went to school but there was someone in the house but my mum was in bed as worked nights. Ice was a fast learner and has house trained by 13 weeks and the breeder crate trained him so he didn't mind his crate but we had another dog to keep him company. I then started working full time which was 9 hours a day and had 3 by then they coped fine and 2 was rescues.