How do you get rid of a stray hanging around the House?

Kech

The other day I was just walking home from being at the dog park when a white husky about a year old started to hang around and follow us. He is in pretty bad shape which tells me he's been abandoned for some time now. He followed us all the way home (30 minutes) and has decided to stick around. He's not a mean dog, but very nervous and scared of humans. He won't come up to us and we can't approach him. He will only approach Macy, which makes me a bit nervous not knowing what this animal may have or capable of doing. He stayed near our house all night and up to when I left for work. The worst part is that he's a howler. Man, can he howl... What am I supposed to do if he continues to stay around and howls day after day? The neighbors are going to get pissed off and blame us, but for what? I could really use some good advice right about now...:(

Do you have an animal control officer in your town? Call them, or call the police. That's what I would do.

Macy is already spayed and I believe we do have an animal control office around here. It's a shame that we have to do this cause he would be a gorgous husky when all cleaned up and taken care of. I believe he's to wild to tame him as a pet. Won't animal control just take him to kill?

I've tried feeding him, but he won't eat. At least he drank some water. In any case, should I just keep trying to befriend him until successful?

I would. I would also make myself look smaller and see if that would help. I'd set some food down, and lay a few feet from it. Do that for a few days, then continue, but then hold some in your hand, stretched out to him. Holding as still as you can. Never any sudden moves.

I did this with a cat when I was 10. One summer day we had our side door open while Shasta was in the backyard, And we were cooking steak. The cat ran into our house. My mom picked him up and put him back outside. But when she did, she felt how soft he was, and hoped he'd come back. We didn't see him for three days. But when we saw him again, he ended up staying for good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As 'Flying Spanner' said, this dog seems to want you to take control.

Work with him/her for a while by feeding him scraps and trying to befriend him, or call a dog rescue if you can't take him on. My guess is, this could work out to be a lovely relationship eventually. This dog obviously knows what it wants and he/she is determined to get the best deal from you right now. You need to work out what he needs (in my opinion) and what you are prepared to give him. :)

I am sort of going against what everybody says... but I would not take him into my house.

The reason for this is that it is, after all, a stray dog. You don't know any background at all and you have no idea of knowing how he would react and behave. You don't know for how long he has been on the streets and whether he is suffering from any disease (like heartworm, for example) and if he's been vaccinated or not.

Now, as far as I am concerned, this dog did not choose you for any particular reason other than the fact you have Macy. Sadly, we have lots of stray dogs around here and if I were to take in every dog that hung around for a while and followed us on walks, I wouldn't have enough space in my house. I know that these dogs can seem very friendly and well behaved at a glance, but since you know nothing about them, it's always a risk to take one into your house, right off the street.

What I would do is try to contact a husky rescue and see if it's possible for them to take him; this would also ensure that before being rehomed somebody would get the chance to evaluate him. Also, if you decide to keep him, do take him to the vet first thing. He needs to be cleaned up, de-wormed and possibly vaccinated as well. Or maybe he is chipped - this would definitely be helpful.

I've got to say I don't think I'd let an unknown quantity into my house around my dog. You've got no idea if this dog has been vaccinated or if it is carrying anything, you don't know if it has any triggers for aggressive behaviour, worms, fleas, god knows what else. You've already said it's not looking in the best shape, if this were me I'd be calling animal control to deal with it instead of trying to befriend this strange dog with the eventual aim of taking it on. I'm not saying I'd ignore it altogether, I'd be happy to supply food, water and a dry place to sleep (away from my dog) until it can be collected, but I'm surprised at the number of people that would quite happily take in a random dog off of the streets and decide it is now theirs because it's taken a shine to them after some coaxing.

Macy is already spayed and I believe we do have an animal control office around here. It's a shame that we have to do this cause he would be a gorgous husky when all cleaned up and taken care of. I believe he's to wild to tame him as a pet. Won't animal control just take him to kill?

He's probably just taken a shine to her lol. They won't necessarily kill him right now he's scared and hungry so of course he puts off the front of being "wild" to survive. Not saying he's a good dog but you gotta think about his current situation. I would hesitate taking him on just because you do not know how to safely temperament test him to see what undesirable traits he may posses. Not to mention the disease that not only you but also your girly can get from him. Even if she is fully up to date on vaccs she can still catch things. Do they microchip up there? He may also have an owner but no one has cared enough to simply scan him and find out. For me personally there are far to many questions to just assume he would make a good pet at least if animal control gets him you can throw you name down first on the list to adopt him once he is sorted and under better circumstances. In the end you are the one to see and interact with him I would trust what your gut instinct tells you mine at least is very rarely wrong :) Good luck with whatever you decide with him

I am sort of going against what everybody says... but I would not take him into my house.

The reason for this is that it is, after all, a stray dog. You don't know any background at all and you have no idea of knowing how he would react and behave. You don't know for how long he has been on the streets and whether he is suffering from any disease (like heartworm, for example) and if he's been vaccinated or not.

Now, as far as I am concerned, this dog did not choose you for any particular reason other than the fact you have Macy. Sadly, we have lots of stray dogs around here and if I were to take in every dog that hung around for a while and followed us on walks, I wouldn't have enough space in my house. I know that these dogs can seem very friendly and well behaved at a glance, but since you know nothing about them, it's always a risk to take one into your house, right off the street.

What I would do is try to contact a husky rescue and see if it's possible for them to take him; this would also ensure that before being rehomed somebody would get the chance to evaluate him. Also, if you decide to keep him, do take him to the vet first thing. He needs to be cleaned up, de-wormed and possibly vaccinated as well. Or maybe he is chipped - this would definitely be helpful.

This is what I was thinking as well. Yes, I want to help him out, but not at the expense of my family. I have no idea what he may have as far as health problems. I have tried to feed him with kibble, but he only smelled it and walked away. I believe he's interested in fresh meat instead of dry dog food. If I could get him to trust me I would take him to the vet as soon as possible and clean him up. I would then get a sense of his temperment and possibly keep him as a pet. We'll see what happens. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and opinions regarding this matter:)

When I find a stray that I don't want to deal with I call animal control to pick it up, but if I found a husky I'd probably take it to the vet, get it cleaned up, and start looking for its owners. But that's cause I have a soft spot for huskies! We actually took in a young husky a few months ago. Never found its owner and after having it a month (legally here you have to keep the animal a month before it can be yours if you just found it) we adopted him out to a nice family. Got all his shots and neutered beforehand.

When I find a stray that I don't want to deal with I call animal control to pick it up, but if I found a husky I'd probably take it to the vet, get it cleaned up, and start looking for its owners. But that's cause I have a soft spot for huskies! We actually took in a young husky a few months ago. Never found its owner and after having it a month (legally here you have to keep the animal a month before it can be yours if you just found it) we adopted him out to a nice family. Got all his shots and neutered beforehand.

That was very noble of you... Sounds like you did the right thing:)

why did you believe that? This isn't a wild wolf right? It's a real husky right? Then you should just give him more time. He'll warm up to you soon (not that soon tho) :) personally I'd suggest not to call animal control because then you won't know where are they taking the husky what if they put him in a high kill shelter :( tell you what THIS is what am I hoping to happen to me for years LOL those angels must have got my address mixed-up with yours! :lolman: give him time (and a name, maybe? heehee) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update concerning the stray white husky... I haven't seen him in awhile. Hope he hasn't been killed or something. I would have tried my best to take him in if given another opportunity, but no chance of that happening, yet!! Thanks for the great advice from all of you and will keep posted if the situaion changes.:)