Microchipping to become law in England

flyingspanner

I think its a great idea, I can see the Police belt now, Tazer one side and a Dog scanner the other :)

One way round it though is every dog must have a collar, they will get hold of dodgy chips and fix it to the underside of the collar less messy that cutting it out when the scum fancy changing the dog..

It says newborn pups fitted with chips? what the best age to get them fitted? I still remember the yelp when mine got chipped and they where at least 6 months old

It's a start I suppose but typically it doesn't go anywhere near far enough and won't be enforced anyway. The scumbags in society will still do whatever they want without any punishment other than a slap on the wrist. If the government can't prevent illegal cars being used on the roads what chance is their of micro chipping reducing the number of abandoned dogs?

If they would make the punishments for more severe for breaking the law I think that would have a far greater impact on crime rates

Both ours are already done been done since first vet check but it doesn't help as if your dog went missing and was picked up by some one else like our zero not all vets scan for a chip without being asked by the owner or person that brings them in so I was told when I phoned all local vets in my area when zero went missing and I would say you have 50/50% chance of vets doing it also dog wardens do not go out to pic up a dog unless it has been grabbed by some one how crap so if your dog goes missing like ours unless some one nice picks them up and sees the missing sign your chance of getting your dog back is very low

unfortunately I have to agree. I wouldn't dream of not having mine chipped, but if greyhound racing types are willing to cut the dogs ears off to remove tattoo's then I'm not sure this is going to help.

This was my first thought too. There are some people who wouldn't think twice about mutilating a dog, if they felt like it. :(